Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to go past who the coaches think are the best 5 players on the ground. Who else is better to judge the percveived impact of a player on a game than the coaches ? They have the most at stake when it comes to the game's result.

What ''award'' do you think best reflects a player's value ?
Given I don’t live vicariously through the coaches as others seem to, I don’t base my opinion on awards. I base it on what I see. I may be dead wrong but no opinion I’ve ever shared has been stated as fact.

Cripps at worst offers the same as Oliver in terms of individual impact but he’s a very inspirational player and arguably does more for the morale and motivation of team than Oliver.

I reckon if you quizzed the entire competition and asked them which player they’d take it’d be Bont - no question.

For what it’s worth we can both play this game. Macrae has left Petracca in his wake this year but if given the choice nobody is picking Jackson.
1655708626497.png

In today's Age.

Also, please never compare Macrae to Oliver again. Go start your own poll if you're interested in the outcome of that debate.

Given I don’t live vicariously through the coaches as others seem to, I don’t base my opinion on awards. I base it on what I see. I may be dead wrong but no opinion I’ve ever shared has been stated as fact.

Cripps at worst offers the same as Oliver in terms of individual impact but he’s a very inspirational player and arguably does more for the morale and motivation of team than Oliver.
I too like to use my eyes.

But as awards go can you think of one with greater relevance than the coaches awatd ?

Oliver's preparedness to now use his speed and legs to exit stoppages, as well as his hardball gets, clearance work and contested ball winning ability makes him a more impactful and consistent player than Cripps.

Each to their own.

I'm not going to lie, Cripps' last month has been average. That being said Walsh is better than Oliver so you all can get stuffed. :p
No issues with saying Cripps hasn't been at his best or close tbf but some of the takes to dismiss it are ridiculous.

Just looking back at the "slow, plodder, could never do what Oliver did in the GF" some shocking calls.

Is Cripps injured?

Hasn't been as dominant since Pitto went out, they must have a very good understanding of each other.

He's still at the coalface dishing it out, pinch hitting in the ruck, laying tackles etc. He's grown as a leader too.

But nah, I don't think he's injured. Still moving ok.

Oliver having the better season individually for sure. Just wish he'd kick more goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50 cent laughing GIF

Oliver streaking clear of Cripps in the AFL's most credible award :) If Cripps catches him and beats him then I'll tip my hat to him.

But but..Cripps is 6'5. This stat is nothing short of embarrassing for Cripps.
At the same age Cripps averaged 15.55 Contested possessions a game compared to Olivers 15.39

Either way going off of age is a terribly flawed concept. Gary Ablett Jr is the best player of a generation and is nowhere near that list as he was playing as a forward pocket early in his career.

At the same age Cripps averaged 15.55 Contested possessions a game compared to Olivers 15.39

Either way going off of age is a terribly flawed concept. Gary Ablett Jr is the best player of a generation and is nowhere near that list as he was playing as a forward pocket early in his career.
no idea what you're talking about. The stat speaks for itself.

no idea what you're talking about. The stat speaks for itself.
Half of these players missed entire seasons with broken legs or spent half their early years playing as half forwards. Regardless of this dumb stat I don't think you'd find a neutral of the game who would ever take Oliver over Judd, Danger or Fyfe. Flawed statistic.

Judd, Fyfe, Dangerfield are greats of the game, but Oliver is still just 24.

Oliver's career will be judged in 10 years. I suspect he'll hold many records and be feted far more than he is in 2022.
He may end up with as many awards as any player if he isn't crippled by injury in the coming years, but Clarry doesn't possess the attributes that those 3 did. He's just a model of consistency and contested ball winning but I highly doubt we ever see the day that he's breaking games apart like Fyfe Danger and Judd did through their primes with pure explosiveness and goal kicking ability.

Half of these players missed entire seasons with broken legs or spent half their early years playing as half forwards. Regardless of this dumb stat I don't think you'd find a neutral of the game who would ever take Oliver over Judd, Danger or Fyfe. Flawed statistic.
L
He may end up with as many awards as any player if he isn't crippled by injury in the coming years, but Clarry doesn't possess the attributes that those 3 did. He's just a model of consistency and contested ball winning but I highly doubt we ever see the day that he's breaking games apart like Fyfe Danger and Judd did through their primes with pure explosiveness and goal kicking ability.
not disagreeing with you there. but he's better in the contest than all 3 of those.

just because he's smashed Cripps in the head to head debate, do we just keep finding better and better players to compare him to?

yes, his ceiling may not be as giod as dangerfields but dangerfields worst games are much worse than Olivers. Same as fyfe. You can't just look wt the ceilings of players and refuse to look at the floor that Oliver smashes almost every player in.

L

not disagreeing with you there. but he's better in the contest than all 3 of those.

just because he's smashed Cripps in the head to head debate, do we just keep finding better and better players to compare him to?

yes, his ceiling may not be as giod as dangerfields but dangerfields worst games are much worse than Olivers. Same as fyfe. You can't just look wt the ceilings of players and refuse to look at the floor that Oliver smashes almost every player in.
I literally told you, at the same age... Cripps career average for contested possessions was 15.55 compared to Olivers 15.39 he currently sits at. Cripps had played 37 less games than Oliver at the same age, Fyfe almost 20 less. Then funnily enough both of them had major injuries.

And yes you actually can in cases. Sure Aaron Hall may have some of the best and worst games in the competition, he isn't a champion of the game because his best is amazing because his best is once or twice a season... but when they consistently hit a peak higher than Oliver's you can judge the players based on that.

If Dusty wins 10 games a year off his own boot and also plays 10 pretty mediocre games compared to Clarry's 15 very good but not game breaking performances with 5 pretty good games in between then you can compare who's had more impact.

Lets just say for example...

Clarry has 15 8/10 games
Dusty has 10 10/10 games

Clarry has 5 7/10 games
Dusty has 10 6/10

Dusty - 100+60 = 160
Clarry - 120+35 = 155

Now obviously these aren't actual statistics of their exact impact, but Dusty would be likely to only get coaches votes/brownlow votes in 10 of those games. Oliver is a high chance of polling in nearly every game as his floor is still quite high. Even though overall Dusty may have had more impact on his teams success through the season with the average performances in between he would still likely be behind in all the awards thus not showing the true impact he had.

That's when it comes down to personal preference. I'd still take Bont, peak Danger, Petracca, peak Fyfe and Cripps in a flash before Oliver as its far more difficult to find the player who can do the seemingly impossible than it is to find the player who very very consistently does the regular to a high standard.

Back