Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Speed is different to explosiveness.

No.

Yep

Power is more to do with strength and explosiveness.

Oliver is elite just not that type, although more than Neale/Mitchell. Clearly.
At the end of the day, the coaches don't rate Cripps as good as Oliver. That's been proven the last 3 years (including this one) in the coaches votes.

Cripps is too slow. And thus his power is limited. His lateral movement is terrible and he gets danced around so often when defending.

If we relate the players to hawks players I would say that Oliver is basically a taller, faster Luke Hodge without the foot skills and Cripps is more of a 195cm Jordan Lewis.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, the coaches don't rate Cripps as good as Oliver. That's been proven the last 3 years (including this one) in the coaches votes.

Cripps is too slow. And thus his power is limited. His lateral movement is terrible and he gets danced around so often when defending.

If we relate the players to hawks players I would say that Oliver is basically a taller, faster Luke Hodge without the foot skills and Cripps is more of a 195cm Jordan Lewis.
Jordan Lewis had very good foot skills lmao

But again, you’re wrong about Cripps and it’s clear. You can talk up players without being flat out wrong about others.

Jordan Lewis had very good foot skills lmao

But again, you’re wrong about Cripps and it’s clear. You can talk up players without being flat out wrong about others.
I'm not questioning Cripps at his best. At his best, he's very good. But his best is far too rare to be compared with the greatest mids of the game. The coaches votes speak for themselves I think and Cripps has I think 22 votes this year which puts him probably around 50th.

Last quarter, game on the line. Carlton fighting to get their season back on track.

Captain Patty Cripps has two big handballs... for the whole quarter (and no other stats) 🤣😂🤣
Got more out of Daddy Dodo Dow than they did from Patrick.

Goddam Oliver had more impact on that game, and he was out with a hamstring.

Do tell us ur 15 better mids please

Remember the shade I got for saying Cripps wasn't a top 15 mid in the comp. And you were mystified when I put Chad Warner ahead of him. Well the 2023 season that Cripps is putting together is exactly why.

Obviously Cripps will get better, he has to. He's better than what he is producing at the moment.

After 5 years I'm changing my vote. Enjoy ur Brownlow Crippa, you've been rubbish all year.
In fairness to him it must be hard when you've been the midfielder your team has relied upon for so many years. Surely it wears you down both physically and mentally. He's had so little support for a long time.

I'm sure Oliver has been energized by playing in finals, winning a flag and having quality mids around him.

In fairness to him it must be hard when you've been the midfielder your team has relied upon for so many years. Surely it wears you down both physically and mentally. He's had so little support for a long time.

I'm sure Oliver has been energized by playing in finals, winning a flag and having quality mids around him.
Yeah you can tell by Cripps' body language that he hasn't been enjoying playing footy this year.

Spot on.

Cripps at his best is a freak, we just didn't get to see it nearly enough due to the load and stress put on him. * i still remember young Cripps in 2018 when they were the worst team in the comp by far and he almost won a brownlow.

In another lifetime he would be in a good side and he'd of had a much different career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you can tell by Cripps' body language that he hasn't been enjoying playing footy this year.
Spot on.

Cripps at his best is a freak, we just didn't get to see it nearly enough due to the load and stress put on him. * i still remember young Cripps in 2018 when they were the worst team in the comp by far and he almost won a brownlow.

In another lifetime he would be in a good side and he'd of had a much different career.
Agree on all fronts. Carlton has a cancer ingrained there that seemingly nobody can overcome. I thought Walsh would be the one but even he's going backwards at a rate of knots.

Its harsh but I saw on the Carlton board someone mentions he quits on coaches, and I kinda feel like that is partly true. Would be interesting to look at his form in the leadup to blokes being sacked.

I genuinely don't think it'd be a bad thing for him or Carlton to explore a trade, but would never happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is an early retirement (Like 31-32). Guy has been smashed from pillar to post for a decade now both physically and mentally.

Its harsh but I saw on the Carlton board someone mentions he quits on coaches, and I kinda feel like that is partly true. Would be interesting to look at his form in the leadup to blokes being sacked.

I genuinely don't think it'd be a bad thing for him or Carlton to explore a trade, but would never happen.
His form pre coach sacking has been terrible since Bolton. Nearly always the first sign of the coach going funnily enough.
Seems very bizarre given he seems to be a heart and soul type.

After 5 years I'm changing my vote. Enjoy ur Brownlow Crippa, you've been rubbish all year.
I respect the fact that you at least show up on this thread when all other Carlton fans left long ago.

But this thread should've been closed 3-4 years ago. Disrespectful to what Oliver has done in the game imo.

Spot on.

I think that was the year that he tore Brisbane apart, had 38 kicked 5 and it felt like every time he touched the ball it resulted in a goal.

I also think it’s a presence thing. The best players have it. Whenever I see Cripps get the ball I s**t myself, he’s a unit that can bulldoze his way through multiple players. Almost impossible to tackle when he’s on.

Judd, GAJ, Dusty, Carey, Matthews and pretty much the whole 01-03 lions team had that X factor. I’d even say Trac and DeGoey have that to a lesser extent as well.

Whereas with players like Oliver you typically find out he had a great game after reading the stats sheet once the game is over. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve seen Dees games and been like ‘oh Oliver got 35+ touches that game? He had a great match’. Never been like that with Cripps, you know every time when he’s demolishing a game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This aged well. He's not even a top 100 player in the league. Slow, horrendous defensively and not kicking goals, and no excuses either.

First final out of the way.

Oliver, whose only come back from 10 weeks on the sidelines and playing through injury has 31 touches (21 kicks), 11 clearances, 10 tackles, 742m gained. No excuses. Just comes back and performs.

Cripps was darn average: 21 possessions (9 kicks), 3 clearances, 5 tackles, 202m gained, 1 goal.

Oliver, whose only come back from 10 weeks on the sidelines and playing through injury has 31 touches (21 kicks), 11 clearances, 10 tackles, 742m gained. No excuses. Just comes back and performs.

Cripps was darn average: 21 possessions (9 kicks), 3 clearances, 5 tackles, 202m gained, 1 goal.
you cant seriously be singing the praises of oliver after his performance in that final. he was awful.

Oliver was genuinely putrid that night dunno what you're talking about.

Back