Roast Cripps - time to go

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not even a legit rebuild though, we’re shifting our younger players in preference of retaining the old.

I can handle the club clearly indicating a rebuild by moving on 28+ year olds but we’re doing the opposite.

It’s honestly baffling how moronic it is
Even worse. We have no key position players that will peak when Rozee, Duursma, Butter, etc do. The priority should be talls, we can always trade them out for picks to take a chance on smaller players later.

We have no game strategy, so we have no strategy for team structure. So we have no drafting & trading strategy.
Unless you call "get me South Australians who I can put somewhere in my best 22 and who won't ever disagree with me" a strategy.

Our key position stocks are objectively bad enough to see the back of him if we're a club that held people accountable.

Despite trading out 2 KPFs, I bet you we still see Marshall in the 2s for half of next season while we play a forward line of Dixon, Westhoff and Sutcliffe in the name of youth.

My main criticism would be the spread of players with poor ball use by foot in all areas of the field.

I understand it's a balance but we don't need to be a team of Hawthorn left footers, just a bit better than we are would solve quite a few issues.

Cripps is in this morning's press defending the decision to trade Dougal Howard mainly from the criticsm by Kane Cornes.

In his defence Cripps is saying, 'We have plenty of height on our list'.

When you look at our list as it stands he is right, the height is there, but that is only part of the story. There are eight players who are tall plus,

Charlie Dixon 200cm- Dixon is the only experienced key forward on the list and he has a history of injury problems and we have possibly seen only one good year from Charlie.

Jack Watts 195cm- Watts is a utility type who has played around the ground and is not what anyone would describe as a key forward. Watts is the likely candidate to take Howard's spot in defence.

Scott Lycett 203cm- premiership ruckman who finished 2019 in the SANFL after Coach Ken Hinkley decided he did not fit.

Peter Ladhams 203cm- Exciting ruck prospect who was preferred to Lycett in the last month of 2019. Has the talent to carry the rucks but is he a KPP?

Todd Marshall 198cm - Tall and has ability but does he have the physical presence to nail a spot as a key forward. From what we have seen this has to be debatable as he is too easily pushed off the ball and seems more effective playing as a tall leading option out wide.

Sam Hayes 203cm - A good prospect but has yet to play an AFL game and he is yet another promising ruck prospect who could turn into a key forward but he has a way to go before that happens. Sam has also had his share of injury.

Justin Westhoff 199cm- At 33 years of age Westhoff's time is limited and he also spent time in the SANFL.

Riley Grundy 195cm- still in the SANFL with no real evidence he will ever go further.

Cripps is right the height is there but he is speaking in half truths. The truth is that we have only one AFL proven key forward who is inconsistent and injury prone, we have we have four talls who have yet to cement a place at AFL level and will not do so unless Hinkley is prepared to play them at AFL level. We have one tall in his last season and another who hasn't found his best position in 174 games at two AFL clubs. It is also true that we have put all our eggs in the draft basket which while it paid off last year is not guaranteed to do so in 2019. We had two KPPs with good potential albeit that we also have a Coach who did not want to play one of them, and we traded both of them away and that is a risk strategy.

It is as REH posted in the introduction to this thread at the same time we trade out talls with potential we keep flaky 'list cloggers' and cross our fingers hoping that the draft will work out for us again.

Cripps is also quoted as saying that members and the media do not know all the facts re the decision to trade Howard and Frampton. So the deals are done they are no longer Port players so tell us all of the facts Jason these are not state secrets.

Too much spin and not enough of the facts and sadly that is becoming all too common at the PAFC these days.

Cripps is in this morning's press defending the decision to trade Dougal Howard mainly from the criticsm by Kane Cornes.

In his defence Crips is saying,

We have plenty of height on our list".

When you look at the list he is right the height is there but that is only part of the story. There are eight players who are tall plus,

Charlie Dixon 200cm- Dixon is the only experienced key forward on the list and he has a history of injury problems and we have possibly seen only one good year from Charlie.

Jack Watts 195cm- Watts is a utility type who has played around the ground and is not what anyone would describe a s a key forward. Watts is the likely candidate to take Howard's spot in defence.

Scott Lycett 203cm- premiership ruckman who finished 2019 in the SANFL after Coach ken Hinkley decided he did not fit.

Peter Ladhams 203cm- Exciting ruck prospect who was perferred to Lycett in the last month of 2019. Has the talent to carry the rucks but is he a KPP?

Todd Marshall 198cm - Tall and has ability but does he have the physical presence to nail a spot as a key forward. From what we have seen this has to be debatable as he is too easily pushed off the ball and seems more effective playing as a tall option out wide.

Sam Hayes 203cm - A good prospect but has yet to play an AFL and he is yet another promising ruck prospect who could turn into a key forward but he has a way to go before that happens.

Justin Westhoff 199cm- At 33 years of age Westhoff's time is limited and he also spent time in the SANFL.

Riley Grundy 195cm- still in the SANFL with no real evidence he will ever go further.

Cripps is right the height is there but he is speaking in half truths. The truth is that we have only one AFL proven key forward who is inconsistent and injury prone, we have we have four talls who have yet to cement a place at AFL level and will not do so unless Hinkley is prepared to play them at AFL level. We have one tall in his last season and another who hasn't found his best position in 174 games at two AFL clubs. It is also true that we have put all our eggs in the draft basket which while it paid off last year is not guaranteed to do so in 2019. We had two KPPs with good potential albeit that we also have a Coach who did not want to play one of them, and we traded both of them away and that is a risk strategy.

It is as REH posted in the introduction to this thread at the same time we trade out talls with potential we keep flaky 'list cloggers' and cross our fingers hoping that the draft will work out for us again.

Cripps is also quoted as saying that members and the media do not know all the facts re the decision to trade Howard and Frampton. So the deals are done they are no longer Port players so tell us all of the facts Jason these are not state secrets.

Too much spin and not enough of the facts and sadly that is becoming all too common at the PAFC these days.

We don't have plenty of height on our list though. We have 3 ruckmen, 2 of which are very green.

Other than that we have Dixon and marshall. The other players aren't really tall by afl standards these days other than the Hoff, who as we know doesn't really play as a tall.

How many do you reckon Geelong have?

Stanley
Taylor
Smith
Buzza
Ratugolea
Henderson
Hawkins
Fort
Schlensog
Abbott
Blicavs
Krueger
Jenkins

All above 195.

We don't have plenty of height on our list though. We have 3 ruckmen, 2 of which are very green.

Other than that we have Dixon and marshall. The other players aren't really tall by afl standards these days other than the Hoff, who as we know doesn't really play as a tall.

You do not have to tell me, you need to tell Jason Cripps as he thinks we are OK. Not sure about Geelong but the last time I looked West Coast had eleven players 196cm plus on their list. We can probably scrape by but if Dixon and or Watts or Marshall go down we will be pushing the proverbial uphill as there is no longer any KPP depth.

You do not have to tell me, you need to tell Jason Cripps as he thinks we are OK. Not sure about Geelong but the last time I looked West Coast had eleven players 196cm plus on their list. We can probably scrape by but if Dixon and or Watts or Marshall go down we will be pushing the proverbial uphill as there is no longer any KPP depth.

The absolutely astounding thing is that we were smashed multiple times last season by guys like Lynch, Hopwood, brown etc because our defenders are giving up massive size. But then the arrogant ******* refuses to play Howard back, despite being the only defender whose actually close to 200cm

I look forward to ken throwing Dixon to fullback when we're 80 points down next year and Tom Lynch has kicked 11

I think the Ladhams/Lycett combo will get a fair run they are both capable resting forward but I see them both as types that will go cold & lose form in this scenario tbh.
I expect it will end with one in the SANFL by mid year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one to complain but the list management has been all over the place the last few years . Policy on the run . Now we’re going all out for draft picks by selling players with value even though they have just as much value to our team.
Think they call it robbing Peter to pay Paul .
I certainly feel robbed

Stanley
Taylor
Smith
Buzza
Ratugolea
Henderson
Hawkins
Fort
Schlensog
Abbott
Blicavs
Krueger
Jenkins

All above 195.

Well yeah but Geelong is after that sugar hit of making finals. We are better than that.

In his defence Cripps is saying, 'We have plenty of height on our list'.

When you look at our list as it stands he is right, the height is there, but that is only part of the story. There are eight players who are tall plus,

Jack Watts 195cm- Watts is a utility type who has played around the ground and is not what anyone would describe as a key forward. Watts is the likely candidate to take Howard's spot in defence.

Scott Lycett 203cm- premiership ruckman who finished 2019 in the SANFL after Coach Ken Hinkley decided he did not fit.

Peter Ladhams 203cm- Exciting ruck prospect who was preferred to Lycett in the last month of 2019. Has the talent to carry the rucks but is he a KPP?

Todd Marshall 198cm - Tall and has ability but does he have the physical presence to nail a spot as a key forward. From what we have seen this has to be debatable as he is too easily pushed off the ball and seems more effective playing as a tall leading option out wide.

Sam Hayes 203cm - A good prospect but has yet to play an AFL game and he is yet another promising ruck prospect who could turn into a key forward but he has a way to go before that happens. Sam has also had his share of injury.

We have 1 proven TALL KPF and 0 TALL proven KPD and a bunch of players that are not only unproven but also under developed.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As it stands even if history repeats and we pick up a couple of young guns in the draft we do not have the list to challenge for a top eight spot in 2020 let alone a top four spot. Hinkley mouthing off about winning Premierships is 'out with the fairies' stuff.

Cripps, Hinkley and Davies appear to be banking on rebuilding via the Draft starting last year. This is a complete about face from Hinkley's strategy when he took over at Alberton and traded first round picks for the likes of Polec, Dixon, Ryder, Monfries etc. Now six years on we are trading away good young players for first round Draft picks. It is almost as if someone sitting around the table has said, well that hasn't worked but last year's Draft worked so let's try it again. Maybe clutching at straws in an effort to save their jobs? Or perhaps that is taking things too far?

The absolutely astounding thing is that we were smashed multiple times last season by guys like Lynch, Hopwood, brown etc because our defenders are giving up massive size. But then the arrogant ******* refuses to play Howard back, despite being the only defender whose actually close to 200cm

I look forward to ken throwing Dixon to fullback when we're 80 points down next year and Tom Lynch has kicked 11

Howard was in defence when we played against a Richmond that only had Lynch at Adelaide Oval...and we lost because Lynch kicked 5 goals when every other team had managed to keep him to one or two goals.

Howard was in defence when we played Brisbane at the Gabba....and we lost because Hipwood kicked 6 goals. Hipwood didn’t even play against us at Adelaide Oval.

So what the * are you talking about, man?

im ok with cripps. ive noted the players we bring in in their first season tend to have this excitement, flair and decent skills. the longer they are in the system, the more its beaten out of them. i think we have more of a development problem.

im ok with cripps. ive noted the players we bring in in their first season tend to have this excitement, flair and decent skills. the longer they are in the system, the more its beaten out of them. i think we have more of a development problem.

Yeah I wanted to say this but I'm still too angry about Doogs leaving.

Honestly our list has been good enough to deliver.

I take your point but I am still not happy with our trading in 2019.

There will be a cliff, no doubt.

Hopefully the decision to trade our mid agers out for top end picks pays off in 6-7 years time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back