Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Moe B

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Been watching Crippa really closely at training the last couple of times I've gone and today I was sitting there thinking how good can this guy seriously get as he's only 20, and who compares to him in the similar age bracket? Bontempelli is the only guy who springs to mind and so I posed the question to my mate, he couldn't give me an answer... I'd go Cripps based on the fact the he turns games more often then the Bont and although the Bont is a superstar in the making, Would take Cripps without question....

Because I'm also 1 eyed.. :)

Nah that's alright just a link to a few more opinions. It's a good comparison
Imo the bont is an absolute jet and was praying he'd last to our pick that year but obviously wishful thinking, I just see Cripps as more influential in a really struggling team with leadership qualities you don't see to often in 20 year olds, it's a real tough one but if hypothetically speaking if a swap was on offer I'm not sure I'd take Bont, maybe because I'm so in love with Crippa therefore making me blind, If you break it down the only thing is see that the Bont is better then Cripps would have to be kicking, I'd give marking one on one, handballing, Clearances and stoppages all to Cripps along with consistency, I'm sure there's heaps more categories where the Bont is better but I've tried pointing out the really important ones.

Both unique players who are set to take the comp by storm, both should be multiple All Australian and wouldnt be surprised if both win a brownlow at some stage.. I wouldnt trade Cripps for anyone with how we are positioned for our rebuild right now, not Ablett, not Fyfe, Not Cameron and not Bontempelli... Jesse Hogan might tempt me though.

Very different players and should not be compared, talented and special footballers.They will draw crowds to the game and be great assets to their teams.
I'd love to have both at the baggers, that would be amazing.

Sorry for the intrusion, just saw this in the recent posts section and it got my attention. On the Dogs board there's a constant Bont Vs Billings debate...

Both are absolute guns. Most dogs fans will say Bont, and I'm guessing most Blues fans will say Cripps.

One things for sure, we both have many years of enjoyment ahead of ourselves. You'd be wrapped to have either running around at your club.

Sorry for the intrusion, just saw this in the recent posts section and it got my attention. On the Dogs board there's a constant Bont Vs Billings debate...

Both are absolute guns. Most dogs fans will say Bont, and I'm guessing most Blues fans will say Cripps.

One things for sure, we both have many years of enjoyment ahead of ourselves. You'd be wrapped to have either running around at your club.

I agree i cant wait for the bot v cripps cripps v wines and wines v bont head to heads

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont is in front at the moment, We have to remember Crippa is coming back from a broken leg.

I had this same debate on the main board in the "top 20 midfielders" thread. A lot of people were putting Bont in but no one included Cripps. It's closer than what most people think when you look at this.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=3930&tid2=8&pid2=3921&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Opposition clubs will now be contemplating putting the tag on Cripps ahead of Murphy, so it will be interesting to see how he copes with the extra attention for the purposes of this debate.

Both are uniquely brilliant and so essential to the make-up of their respective team.

I'm dumping this task in the "too hard" basket.

Bontempelli at the moment is probably the better footballer but you can't predict where they'll end up at the end of their careers.

Cripps suits Carlton better though, his leadership cannot be understated.

I'd have both far and away ahead of Billings.
I agree, Billings not in the same category...

Opposition clubs will now be contemplating putting the tag on Cripps ahead of Murphy, so it will be interesting to see how he copes with the extra attention for the purposes of this debate.

Both are uniquely brilliant and so essential to the make-up of their respective team.

I'm dumping this task in the "too hard" basket.
They already started tagging him late in the season. The Melbourne game being a prime example, and Cripps handled it exceptionally well. Murphy was out of the game with his shoulder injury, and Cripps stepped up handling a very hard tag - something like most possessions, most contested possessions, most clearances, and a critical goal to seal the game. That game alone should have won him the rising star.

I think you'll find Charlie Curnow is our Bont prototype player :D

As others have, Cripps and Bontempli arw different type of player, I do feel bad for Bont in that he was robbed of the rising star award for an absolute plodder, whereas you can't begrudge Cripps losing to Jesse Hogan, the most dominant and impressive young power forward the game has seen in years.

Both have their similarities and differences. Bont has a more developed outside game and currently has more goal sense. I think Cripps has more potential overall and more potential around goal, but hasn't got the confidence there yet. He may not develop much of an outside game (although he seems motivated enough to address any deficiencies in his game and it might come in his later years). I would love to have Bont on the team, but not at the expense of Crippa.
I guess it comes from a biased point of view, having seen and read more on Cripps, but he seems more motivated to succeed than Bont (probably way off the mark).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back