Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Bonts is a star, but was anyone else perplexed as I was that the Hawks gave him no attention at all? He was constantly in massive pockets of space

The Cripps vs Bonts battles will be intriguing in a few years time. Bonts has a lot of support right now and once we get Cripps some it will be great to watch. Looking forward to these.

Bonts is a star, but was anyone else perplexed as I was that the Hawks gave him no attention at all? He was constantly in massive pockets of space
Because unlike the Hawks midfield - Bonts can run ..

Bont is easily in front just on his abilty to use the ball so much better by foot alone. He hurts you with either form of disposal. Cripps's disposal by foot is average at best which is his biggest weakness at this point in time. If he can turn that around to at least be consistent by foot then he will be a more complete player.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Absolute joke of a comment. Average at best?

Correct, he doesn't hurt the opposition by foot.

Rubbish. He has had his troubles in front of goal but that is the yips, nothing more. The man has excellent technique. I think you need to reword your opinion, average at best is just plain silly. Pretty sure I saw the Bont in acres of space crucially turn the ball over twice last night. Happens to every player.

If he does not have elite skills by foot and struggles with penetration how can his kicking be anything other than average? I never said below average.
Now Deisel williams was elite.

Rubbish. He has had his troubles in front of goal but that is the yips, nothing more. The man has excellent technique. I think you need to reword your opinion, average at best is just plain silly. Pretty sure I saw the Bont in acres of space crucially turn the ball over twice last night. Happens to every player.
Don't know why some people find the word 'average' to be such an insult. You could name a whole bunch of players who are worse kicks, but also name at least as many who are better kicks. Puts him around average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd was better than average. Have a look at some of his goals in his younger days. His groins where stuffed by the time he joined us and his kicking was never the same.

Its true the Hawks didn't pay him enough respect, but all the same he's a special player.

I've always thought he was a more complete footballer than Cripps but Cripps must scare the bejeezus out of opposition teams judging by the two people who are always hanging off him at stoppages.

I'd take Bont right now because he takes his chances better than Cripps does around goal, and he can do a heck of a lot of damage with only 20 touches, because his foot skills are so good.

Cripps isn't very far off at all though, and they'll be battling it out amongst the best midfielders in the game for years to come. Just hope Crippa can find a way to work on his kicking and improve it a bit.

Its the old argument really. Cripps brings so many others into the game with his inside work. He is heavily tagged compared to bont. The Bont though is so creative, but would cripps be just as creative if he didnt have 2 opposition players hanging off him? I think after these finals he will get more of a tag, but to be honest, how do you shut down all the doggie mids?
Thats why it is so important that we extend the depth of our midfield group- we need 4-5 gun mids so that the opposition cant take them all out of the game. Look at geelong they shut down all their secondary mids guthrie and co so that selwood and dangerfield alone were not enough.

Bonts hurts the opposition with his breakaway speed which is what Paddy lacks.

Cripps brings so many others into the game with his inside work.

I remember Judd's first few years with us, he was almost a full on inside mid. It didn't start to open up for him for a few years until Murphy started to really come on, Curnow started to provide the bigger body and Carrazzo wasn't tagging quite as much.

I remember him being in packs with guys hanging off of him and next thing you know you'd see the ball leave the pack into another guys bread basket and you'd be thinking, 1 How did that ball get out of there? 2 how did he manage to actually hit a target from that position?

I think the same thing about Cripps so often now. It's remarkable.

Clearly quicker than Crippa.

I wouldn't be sure on that either.

I would argue he's a lot more agile though. Able to move sidewards, stop start better than Cripps.

Then again, Cripps did turn Bernie Vince inside out in the centre of the MCG a year ago, and Vince is no slouch by any stretch...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back