Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

They are both going to be truly exceptional players.
Cripps as we know is a once in a generation ball winning machine.
But Bont is a much, much better mover in space
Hit the nail on the head, I think we're looking at two first ballot AFL hall of famers but two different players.
Crippa epitomizes elite contested ball winning and Bont epitomizes elite composure and awareness, but Bont doesn't crash and bash inside all day like Cripps and Crippa isn't as calm and steady with ball in hand as the Bont but they are still both future champs and the elite capabilities they posses are as valuable as each other

Paddy Cripps hits the front.

All Australian ruck rover, second in the MVP, second in the coaches award and a smokey for the Brownlow.

Outstanding player and we are very lucky to have him at our club.
Never knew he was behind. Always thought the inside contested monster was more valuable and the type of player you build a club around.

Cripps has kept getting better, Bont a fair way behind now.

This argument is not becoming of us Carlton fans. Should have stayed un-bumped.

Cripps is awesome, glad we have him.
Bont is awesome, wish we had him.
Fair bump. The thread exists and it is a good debate that will, rightly or wrongly, follow these players for the entirety of there careers.

have them both in a keeper league so watch them both closely... PC for me. though the BONT is still a massive favorite. Can't believe that I've got both :)

This argument is not becoming of us Carlton fans. Should have stayed un-bumped.

Cripps is awesome, glad we have him.
Bont is awesome, wish we had him.

Fair bump. The thread exists and it is a good debate that will, rightly or wrongly, follow these players for the entirety of there careers.

I think it's a fair discussion.

As long as we don't fall into the typical supporter trap of 'our guy is awesome, the other guy is crap'.

So far I think we're all good. Plenty of respect for the Bont.

I'd have Cripps ahead at the moment, but if both fully fit, it'll be an interesting comparison in the coming years.

Sorry for the intrusion, just saw this in the recent posts section and it got my attention. On the Dogs board there's a constant Bont Vs Billings debate...

Both are absolute guns. Most dogs fans will say Bont, and I'm guessing most Blues fans will say Cripps.

One things for sure, we both have many years of enjoyment ahead of ourselves. You'd be wrapped to have either running around at your club.
Bont v Billings looking laughable right about now :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that is great about this comparison is the respect that both sides have for both Bont and Cripps.
Most Carlton supports are going to say Cripps and most Doggies fans will say Bont but both fans absolutely respect the other player. The league will be better when both these guys are at full flight and its mouth watering footy when these 2 line up on one another.

One thing that is great about this comparison is the respect that both sides have for both Bont and Cripps.
Most Carlton supports are going to say Cripps and most Doggies fans will say Bont but both fans absolutely respect the other player. The league will be better when both these guys are at full flight and its mouth watering footy when these 2 line up on one another.
I think a lot of Dogs fans realise Bont's injury means he won't be reaching his potential anymore though.

Bontempelli is a very good player but look over this last 2 years and see how many games he has had more than 25 touches.

On this year stats the only area Bontempelli clearly out points Cripps is goal kicking but Cripps complete domination in areas like tackling (6.3 to 3.8) clearances (7.7 to 4.5), contested marks (1.2 to 0.5) contested possession (17.6 to 10.4) and total disposals (29.6 to 24.1) make him far and away the better player.

Over their whole careers the stats show a similar advantage to Cripps.

I think it's a fair discussion.

As long as we don't fall into the typical supporter trap of 'our guy is awesome, the other guy is crap'.

So far I think we're all good. Plenty of respect for the Bont.

I'd have Cripps ahead at the moment, but if both fully fit, it'll be an interesting comparison in the coming years.
I bumped this thread because I remember reading it years ago and I honestly thought the Bont would be a better all round players. Just happy our boy is doing so well and if the Bont can get over his hip will also be a star.

Paddy Cripps hits the front.

All Australian ruck rover, second in the MVP, second in the coaches award and a smokey for the Brownlow.

Outstanding player and we are very lucky to have him at our club.

Love Cripps but:

Cripps:
  • All-Australian team: 2018
  • John Nicholls Medal: 2015
  • 2× 22under22 team: 2015, 2016
  • AFL Rising Star nominee: 2015 (second place)
Bont:
  • AFL premiership player: 2016
  • All-Australian team: 2016
  • 2× Charles Sutton Medal: 2016, 2017
  • AFLPA best first year player: 2014
  • AFLCA best young player of the year: 2015
  • 5× 22under22 team: 2014, 2015, 2016 (c), 2017 (c), 2018 (c)
  • AFL Rising Star nominee: 2014 (second place)
Bont's CV is better.

Bont has a little bit more competition in the Dogs BnF this year but should still win it despite missing 3 games (Cripps wins ours by the length of the Flemington straight, with Simpson in second place), but there is still every chance they'll have 5 BnFs between them by the end of their 5th year in the game.

Both freaks. Be shocked if both dont win Brownlows by the time their careers are done. I genuinely dont know who I pick at #1 if I had a time machine and redid the 2013 draft. Kelly gets added in here as well.

Love Cripps but:

Cripps:
  • All-Australian team: 2018
  • John Nicholls Medal: 2015
  • 2× 22under22 team: 2015, 2016
  • AFL Rising Star nominee: 2015 (second place)
Bont:
  • AFL premiership player: 2016
  • All-Australian team: 2016
  • 2× Charles Sutton Medal: 2016, 2017
  • AFLPA best first year player: 2014
  • AFLCA best young player of the year: 2015
  • 5× 22under22 team: 2014, 2015, 2016 (c), 2017 (c), 2018 (c)
  • AFL Rising Star nominee: 2014 (second place)
Bont's CV is better.

Bont has a little bit more competition in the Dogs BnF this year but should still win it despite missing 3 games (Cripps wins ours by the length of the Flemington straight, with Simpson in second place), but there is still every chance they'll have 5 BnFs between them by the end of their 5th year in the game.

Both freaks. Be shocked if both dont win Brownlows by the time their careers are done. I genuinely dont know who I pick at #1 if I had a time machine and redid the 2013 draft. Kelly gets added in here as well.

A bloke who actually I rate better than Bontempelli will win their best and fairest Jack Macrae would love him to the blues alongside Cripps.

can someone fess up to accidentally rotary-hoeing JaB's dog into his front lawn? or lighting the bbg whilst he was drying his whites? or emptying the recycling bin late at night? just admit it and get him sorted............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back