Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably more a question to the Dogs supporters, but wonder if The Bont would have been viewed an average sized CHF 15 years ago? Has that incredible core strength, breaks tackles, reads the game really well and knows where the goals are.

Could Kouta have made a full time career at CHF in any other side but Carlton?
I know it's off topic, but would like to answer your question. Carlton bias aside...
Kouta at his best could dominate in literally any position at any club, in any era.
I'm not suggesting he's the greatest ever, but at his peak, the football world had never seen anything like him.

I know it's off topic, but would like to answer your question. Carlton bias aside...
Kouta at his best could dominate in literally any position at any club, in any era.
I'm not suggesting he's the greatest ever, but at his peak, the football world had never seen anything like him.

Big fan of Kouta even though I'm not a fan of your club.

What sort of involvement does he have at the club these days? I remember meeting him years ago. Came across as a really nice humble bloke. People tried to talk to him about how good he was but he was only interested in talking about the young stars of the comp

What sort of involvement does he have at the club these days? I remember meeting him years ago. Came across as a really nice humble bloke. People tried to talk to him about how good he was but he was only interested in talking about the young stars of the comp
I'm not sure if he has any involvement at the club, I'm sure someone on here will know. But I also had the privilege of meeting the great man, he was extremely generous with his time and a humble man, especially considering the heights he reached as a footballer.
Once, in my entire footy career I kicked two goals in a game. I didn't shut up about it for nine years....

Don't think that he has any involvement really. I believe he runs some of his personal training sessions at the grounds in some way, so he's around, but not in any official capacity. Happy to be corrected.

Probably more a question to the Dogs supporters, but wonder if The Bont would have been viewed an average sized CHF 15 years ago? Has that incredible core strength, breaks tackles, reads the game really well and knows where the goals are.

Could Kouta have made a full time career at CHF in any other side but Carlton?

Kouta could have made a career as a CHF. As for Bontempelli I don't see it as the best use of his talents. The best KPF are power athletes with great bursts of speed and while Bont is big and strong for a midfileder if you compare him to most CHBs he'd be somewhere in the middle as far as strength and power goes imo.

i don't see Bontempelli as a great Kouta comparison anyway. Koutoufides was more like a bigger version of Fyfe who beat his opponents with pure athleticism and strength.

I liken him more to Sydney's Josh Kennedy.
Fair comparison, although Cripps has a higher % of his possessions contested than Josh Kennedy - seems a little more pure inside at this stage, although younger kids often struggle with getting the easy ball so that may change with more experience.

Cripps is 2 inches taller and with reduced interchange caps he'll surely rest forward more and improve his goal output in coming years as well.

Don't think that he has any involvement really. I believe he runs some of his personal training sessions at the grounds in some way, so he's around, but not in any official capacity. Happy to be corrected.

That's a shame if true. Maybe he's done with footy?

Given his ability and athletic attributes thought he would be a great fit for a young group of players in need of some good role models.

Cool, he's widely viewed as being one of the better young mids in the comp.. he isn't underrated.
In any event, while Champion data has a place and can be a useful resource, using stats alone to rate players is crazy.

Sure he is, and according to CD, hes not one of the best young mids, hes one of the best players in the comp, fullstop. Hence the underating - according to them and their stats.

So yeah, its just stats. But if you look at their top 20 they derive from them, excluding Bont if you like, its hard to argue with the result, so they have some substance at least.

Sure he is, and according to CD, hes not one of the best young mids, hes one of the best players in the comp, fullstop. Hence the underating - according to them and their stats.

So yeah, its just stats. But if you look at their top 20 they derive from them, excluding Bont if you like, its hard to argue with the result, so they have some substance at least.
Link?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

The better Dogs comparison for Cripps is Tom Liberatore.

Cripps is ahead of where Libba was as a 20 y/o, but in his 21 y/o year Libba Jnr went from 351 disposals to 571, 101 clearances to 183, 65 tackles to 137 and 180 contested possessions to 319.

Both were playing in ordinary teams (sorry) at the time, so they're quite comparable.

If Cripps trends up even half as much as Libba Jnr did he'll project himself into the truly elite mids.

Libba's 2013 (?) was VERY impressive.

Ok, Pendlebury, Ablett, Fyfe, Bont.
One of those players isnt at the same level (yet) as the others.
Bont is and will continue to be a very good player for a long time. To say that he isnt alongside the best of the best just yet isnt underrating him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, it's hard to say which one is the better player given they play in different teams, with different structures and Cripps has so little support.

I think the only fair way to answer this question is for Bont to come play for Carlton.

Then the comparison will be much easier!

All in the name of objective ratings, of course..... no ulterior motives here.

Look, it's hard to say which one is the better player given they play in different teams, with different structures and Cripps has so little support.

I think the only fair way to answer this question is for Bont to come play for Carlton.

Then the comparison will be much easier!

All in the name of objective ratings, of course..... no ulterior motives here.

Agreed, it's the only way.

Ok, Pendlebury, Ablett, Fyfe, Bont.
One of those players isnt at the same level (yet) as the others.
Bont is and will continue to be a very good player for a long time. To say that he isnt alongside the best of the best just yet isnt underrating him.

Their point is that last year, he was around the mark as being effective as those players - its just like, their opinion, man. They claim to have marked him on every time he ever got near the ball, which is more than I can say for myself, so yeah.

However, consistency over a long period also counts for a lot. The players in that list are tagged every week for years on end. Bont was tagged, but Im not sure every week. Heres round 1 this season - every involvement. Selwood as a hard tag restricted him to 1 touch int he first quarter and 6 in the 2nd, but he fought it out to finish with 22.

Bontempelli is ahead at this stage, which is to be expected given he has an extra season under his belt.

As others have pointed out though, he's playing in a far better team, which makes a huge difference. As Carlton improves, the gap between the two will shrink. Tough to say who will be better long-term though. Bontempelli will be a star who turns games with acts of sheer brilliance, while Cripps will be a contested beast who drags his team across the line with brute force. Both clubs are pretty damn lucky.

So we're essentially comparing the 11th best player in the competition vs the 351st based on this data. Why bother??? Lol. This data is a fair but out of whack if get is the difference between the two.

I doubt it would be accurate reflection of Cripps effectiveness untll he has played round 40 games. My post is about how good Bonts season really was rather than Cripps' year. If you watch the vs. eagles video, thats a day in the office for the Bont, not a highlights video - his 17th game of AFL footy.

I doubt it would be accurate reflection of Cripps effectiveness untll he has played round 40 games. My post is about how good Bonts season really was rather than Cripps' year. If you watch the vs. eagles video, thats a day in the office for the Bont, not a highlights video - his 17th game of AFL footy.
I love (hate) the way these vs threads just turn into a big pissing contest. Bont's day in the office, in just his 17th game. It's almost as if you're arguing against yourself. I don't think anyone here is downplaying his skill (quite the opposite from what I see), but you still seem to be defending him with more evidence of his brilliance.
He's a great young player who still has a long and storied career ahead of him.
Cripps managed a stat line of 33 touches (23 contested), 11 tackles, a goal and 8 clearances in just his 6th game. He had the rare privelage of having a top midfielder (Pendles) run with him to try and negate his influence on the game, before he'd even played 20 games.
But who cares? Pretty much just Carlton supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back