Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Callum Moore 22 years old 192cm 93kg KPF

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • Ivan Soldo 23 years old 204cm 106kg Ruck

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic thread idea. Thinking that this year is a massive chance for us to try our talls and have a geezer at life post-Rance/Riewoldt. I think Garthy and Asters play lock-down roles, Grimesy and Broad make up the Rance slack while playing defensive roles, Vlas is our jack-of-all-trades, Houli and Short rebound with Ellis and Markov waiting in wings for when the structure needs. Honestly that's not a bad structure. If we match against the league's best forward line (Collingwood/WCE IMO):

Elliot JDG Mihocek
Vlas Grimes Garth
Stephenson Cox WHE
Broad Asters Markov (purely as in this situation, we'd need another backman)

Rioli Kennedy Ryan
Grimes Asters Vlas
Allen Darling Venables
Broad Garth Houli (as WCE don't have six very dangerous forwards like the Pies, Markov goes out and we move Houli here.)

So the defence is ok. Similarly forward (again I'll use Collingwood) I think even without Jack for a month we will be fine as we're able to chuck a back-up ruck in there to give Nank a chop-out, play smalls (who need to tackle by the way) and with Caddy (apparantly back this or next week) and Lynch our targets are there:

Maynard Roughead Howe
Caddy Lynch Rioli
Langdon Moore Crisp
Butler Balta Edwards

So we're ok to be honest. Issue will be more our mids than defence, forward line should (should) be OK with Lynch, Caddy, Balta around.

FWIW I picked Balta and CCJ. As I mentioned in the OP Garthwiate strikes me as the Astbury replacement, whereas Balta is a bit more in the Rance mold in that he takes the game on and makes things happen. So I'd bring him in to play at CHB and have the likes of Astbury Vlastuin and Grimes provide the leadership for him.

Up forward I'd use CCJ for the next month as he is good enough to clunk it up forward, has a big enough body to play as a second ruck and it wouldn't hurt to give Nank a chop out either. It also gives us a chance to see how a genuine 2 ruck set up would look.

Far from crisis tho .We got no exuses we got plenty of depth to choose from don't want to see the same blokes in who get chance after chance and let us down.About time Moore gets a regular gig been in good form preseason.Balta or Garth to come in.Ross been in cracking form to get games into him.
We got several options , reckon they’ll be minimal changes though

Taken from the clubs vfl report get them both in.

“Garthwaite is cut from a different cloth, the iron-fisted defender from Corowa hard-nosed, diligent and assumes the role of backline general.
He is constantly barking orders, positioning his teammates like chess pieces, which keeps the Tigers’ watertight team defence intact.”

“Balta looked at home patrolling the defensive half, consistently trusting his speed and athleticism to intercept and disrupt Collingwood’s forays forward.
He also has enormous faith in his skill by foot, picking out targets at will, either on his left or right side.
Balta physically shares a striking resemblance to Rance and plays the game with intoxicating vigour and effort, much like the five-time All Australian.”
Keep writing. Don't worry about the knockers...

If PA missing wines Hartlett and Dixon can intro 4 x u18 debutants to the side and come out convincing winners v a top 4 prospect then we can’t dismiss our chances with plenty of talent at vfl for most part that are a couple of seasons in , no excuses
Spot on.
Garthwaite and Balta must come in.
I want to see CCJ before long too.

Why does that bloke always write like he's compiling a 1950's journal for the National Geographic Society ?
Or a graduate from Konrad Marshall's sports journalism course. First thing you need is a pen name. Konrad is a beauty. Homage to Joseph.
GWS have 4 talls fwds ranging from 193 ~ 204 O' Keefe. Good week to have Balta, Garth, Astbury Broad in the back line. I think CCJ might struggle for game time. I reckon Moore went OK in the AFL last year. I'm very happy for him to play too. For JR. Rance's injury is giving chances to our list. Markov had a tough game to debut in. I'd rather they just play Balta back there all year. We only lost the centre clearances by 2 to the pies. So were not doing too bad in there. And Simpson is no Grundy.

Last edited:
FWIW I picked Balta and CCJ. As I mentioned in the OP Garthwiate strikes me as the Astbury replacement, whereas Balta is a bit more in the Rance mold in that he takes the game on and makes things happen. So I'd bring him in to play at CHB and have the likes of Astbury Vlastuin and Grimes provide the leadership for him.

Up forward I'd use CCJ for the next month as he is good enough to clunk it up forward, has a big enough body to play as a second ruck and it wouldn't hurt to give Nank a chop out either. It also gives us a chance to see how a genuine 2 ruck set up would look.
Not sure I could see CCJ and lynch in same forward line , doesn’t seem right in modern game to have two twin towers

Not sure I could see CCJ and lynch in same forward line , doesn’t seem right in modern game to have two twin towers
Worth a try for the next month as you never know what might happen. Remember how everyone said Jack and the short people would never bring success in 2017. Sometimes a crisis uncovers an unexpected answer. If it did work then in a months time we could add Jack and Caddy to the mix our forward half and it could become quite dangerous and much harder to defend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another game and more injuries add to the crisis, with Short and Cotchin joining Jack Rance & Houli on the injury list. As they say when it rains it pours and while it's frustrating as fans it's giving the club the opportunity to test our depth and see who is able to step up and who isn't.

So far Balta Stack Markov & Garthwaite have been given an opportunity as younger players still establishing themselves in the game and all 4 have shown some promising signs but have also made some basic errors as well. Given the current injury situation and form of some established players there is opportunity for more kids to get shot and stake a claim to a spot in the 22.

Balta - put him at CHB and leave him there, Dimma spoke about him being the closest player to Rance he has seen so develop him as the next Rance.

Stack - looked calm and composed on debut, with Short likely to miss for a period of time door is open for him to step into the role.

Markov - a lot of people not so confident about Markov as I am, but this kid was effectively the last player out of the side heading into the 2017 finals and after 18 months out of the side was always going to take some time. He reminds me of what KMac was like early on. Prone to mixing in errors with some good work. I'd like to persist with him for a few more weeks.

Garthwaite - IMO he can't play in the same side as Astbury and Grimes as their game style is too similar and it robs us of some drive out of the back line. Personally I'd develop Garthwaite in the VFL as the Astbury replacement for the future,

Ross - has been building nicely in the VFL and continued of Friday night, with Cotchin missing at least 2-3 weeks with a hammy the door opens for us to give Ross a crack and see what he is capable of.

CCJ - as mentioned previously I'd like to take the chance while Jack is out of playing CCJ and seeing what he is capable of at the next level. At his size he can be a genuine second ruck and support to Lynch up forward.

Bolton - has added the ability to go through the midfield to his game and I'd like see him replace one of Castagna or Butler in the side. Bolton has a bit of X factor about him and also shows a willingness to tackle.

Naish - has been developing his outside game over the last 18 months and has also improved defensively, a chance to get a game across the HB line or the wing.

Menadue - another that a lot have put a line through, but I haven't yet. He has shown good form at VFL level and if he earns it should be given a shot and proving one way or the other whether he is up to it.

Baker - another who could get a crack playing up forward, was clearly in the mix heading into the start of the season after playing in the JLT.

Moore - prior to the addition on Lynch he was probably the next in line to partner Jack up forward, could still get his chance but for mine is behind CCJ for that because he doesn't strike me as being able to play in the ruck.

RCD Turner and English are down the pecking order and I don't really see any of them getting a chance this year unless the injuries continue to stack up. Nothing wrong with that as many a kid has done an apprenticeship in the VFL before finally getting their call up.

I really want to see Coleman-Jones be given a go. The bits I have seen of him in the VFL indicate that he has leadership skills and some real presence.

Wouldn't mind seeing Stack move up the ground if Houli comes back next week.

We're breaking down with poor skill through the middle and into the forward line.
Stack's kicking skills could help with that.

I think we have to stick with Balta almost no matter what. He reminds me of a young Rance. Just has sheer athleticism but too often fumbles/makes the wrong decision.

Garthwaite is a bit more concerning. I hope it’s just because of his limited preseason but he looked really slow out there yesterday. Like Dave Astbury slow and he’ll never have DAve’s size.

Wouldn't mind seeing Stack move up the ground if Houli comes back next week.

We're breaking down with poor skill through the middle and into the forward line.
Stack's kicking skills could help with that.

I don’t think Stack has the tank to play midfield and his kicking was exactky elite anyway.

His biggest asserts were his ability to read the flight of the ball in the air, his spacing and his repeat efforts. Halfback is perfect for him at the minute.

I don’t think Stack has the tank to play midfield and his kicking was exactky elite anyway.

His biggest asserts were his ability to read the flight of the ball in the air, his spacing and his repeat efforts. Halfback is perfect for him at the minute.
Fair enough about his tank.

81.8% kicking efficiency yesterday. That's elite.

Back