Cristiano Ronaldo Accused of Sexual Assault

(Log in to remove this ad.)

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Der Spiegel aren't really helping with their response either. They are saying "they have no reason to believe the documents they published are not fakes" but are refusing to disclose their source.

Mayogra's lawyer isn't helping things either by saying Ronaldo's lawyers need to prove that the documents are fake.

Law doesn't work that way. Everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence - if they are going to use the document against him it is up to them to prove it is legitimate. If it can't be substantiated it isn't much use in a criminal case. Could be used in a civil case I guess.

I still can't believe Perez kept this under wraps for 8 + years.
Yes the more you think about it, the more likely it is that Madrid were aware of the issue.

It occurred just days after he was signed. And I’m not sure how long the civil proceedings went for in the background, but you’d think it would’ve been weeks/months to reach the settlement.

That would have perhaps coincided with Ronaldo training with the squad pre season and/or the start of the new season. With such a significant issue happening in the background, a select few senior officials at RM would surely have known.

Not necessarily saying that they were aware it’s about to blow up again before selling him to Juve, but it does get you thinking.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Amazing developments, fair to say there are a few questionable discrepancies between those two Q+A documents by Ronaldo. Not difficult to see why.

I respect what Der Spiegel are doing here. Despite the intimidation tactics of Ronaldo’s lawyers, they continue to move forward regardless.

Shit is going to get real soon.

RPCB

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Amazing how this still isnt front page news everywhere.
Yep. Adam Johnson and Ched Evans cases seemed to be reported on every day. With Ronaldo, not a peep made about it and even commentators are still tugging off when they talk about how much of a footballing great he is whilst all this is going on in the background. In general, famous athletes are off limits to criticism and now it seems like they’re off limits when they have allegedly raped someone. Ridiculous.

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Papers would be very wary of lawsuits given how the documents have been acquired.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm
Papers would be very wary of lawsuits given how the documents have been acquired.
There are indisputeable facts including the police report Mayorga made at the time and the hush money Ronaldo paid. Were they reported on?

moomba

TheBrownDog
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
There are indisputeable facts including the police report Mayorga made at the time and the hush money Ronaldo paid. Were they reported on?
I'd imagine not to any great degree until a guilty verdict.

I'm obviously no Ronaldo fan, and I do think it's newsworthy. But I can understand why the press are taking a wait and see approach. Particularly since the most significant documents probably will never be seen in a courtroom.

Tayl0r

AFL Club
Fremantle
Moderator #86
He makes almost $4,000 AUD an hour from just his playing contract.

That would hire some very good lawyers to make life hell for anyone who brings his name into disrepute.

In this era of sponsorship deals being torn up, and his being worth in the order of billions, the damages claim against a group who reports and leads to sponsors pulling out and then later a court finds him not guilty or there is no finding against him for other reasons, such as him reaching a settlement where she releases a statement agreeing with his version of events - then a news group could find themselves served with a damages bill in excess of a billion dollars.

He has the means to fight them, even if he can't win, he can make it hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I'd imagine not to any great degree until a guilty verdict.

I'm obviously no Ronaldo fan, and I do think it's newsworthy. But I can understand why the press are taking a wait and see approach. Particularly since the most significant documents probably will never be seen in a courtroom.
Yeah I get what you're trying to say. But when Adam Johnson was arrested all the papers didn't wait for a guilty verdict, they were all out there questioning who they could to get quotes to get a story printed. You'd think they'd do the same with a bigger name in Ronaldo, question who they can for the same reasons.

edit: Ah ok, there are a few stories on sites like BBC, Independant, the guardian etc from when it popped up. So it hasn't been completely swept under the carpet.

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds Utd, GOATshaw
He makes almost $4,000 AUD an hour from just his playing contract.

That would hire some very good lawyers to make life hell for anyone who brings his name into disrepute.

In this era of sponsorship deals being torn up, and his being worth in the order of billions, the damages claim against a group who reports and leads to sponsors pulling out and then later a court finds him not guilty or there is no finding against him for other reasons, such as him reaching a settlement where she releases a statement agreeing with his version of events - then a news group could find themselves served with a damages bill in excess of a billion dollars.

He has the means to fight them, even if he can't win, he can make it hurt.
Yeah, this.

We aren't talking Adam Johnson.

We are talking one of the most marketable people on the planet and has been for over a decade. The media would want to be 100% legally watertight on anything they run with, as the defamation potential is huge.

I imagine commentators across the world would of been advised by their media organisations on how to commentate on him. It's not a bias thing, purely risk management.

No media organisation on the planet is immune from being crushed by a $500m+ defamation case, thousands of jobs could hinge on the slip a tongue or a loose opinion piece in the case of a sports star like Ronaldo and his legitimate earning potential.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Yes good points I have to say.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Very very valid points.

It’s almost unprecedented someone of his status and fame being accused of this.

In terms of global image, popularity, a brand etc, I struggle to think of someone as “big” as Ronaldo.

Perhaps only Beckham has come close to him in recent times. But Ronaldo is just about in a league of his own, the mainstream media are being very cautious accordingly.

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
i think after the lance armstrong drugs stuff that newspapers are very hesitant to go big with these stories.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
i think after the lance armstrong drugs stuff that newspapers are very hesitant to go big with these stories.
What happened there? I know he got stripped of his medals etc, I mean with the media.

carnthemlions

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Sports journos aren't willing to go after stars who are too big to fail. The few journos who went after Armstrong were ostracised for years. Mind you Ronaldo doesn't have the cancer survivor + Livestrong thing going for him, he's just worth a lot of money to a lot of people.

Tayl0r

AFL Club
Fremantle
Moderator #94
What happened there? I know he got stripped of his medals etc, I mean with the media.
There was a first round of him claiming damages against them, then when it came to him admitting they were actually right there was no money left for them to sue him in return.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
There was a first round of him claiming damages against them, then when it came to him admitting they were actually right there was no money left for them to sue him in return.
Ah damn, that's.......interesting. Cheers

Magma

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
that as well as just the constant threats from armstrong, his people and his legions of fans whenever drug taking came up. journalists potentially sitting on definitive proof, failed samples and whatnot, but being howled down as jealous and just wanting to see a good man lose.

hell, i guess all these years latter nothing has really changed

Coolangatta

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Very very valid points.

It’s almost unprecedented someone of his status and fame being accused of this.

In terms of global image, popularity, a brand etc, I struggle to think of someone as “big” as Ronaldo.

Perhaps only Beckham has come close to him in recent times. But Ronaldo is just about in a league of his own, the mainstream media are being very cautious accordingly.
Yeah, he has more Instagram followers than anyone else on the planet.

Top Bottom