Sexual Assault in Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing how this still isnt front page news everywhere.

Yep. Adam Johnson and Ched Evans cases seemed to be reported on every day. With Ronaldo, not a peep made about it and even commentators are still tugging off when they talk about how much of a footballing great he is whilst all this is going on in the background. In general, famous athletes are off limits to criticism and now it seems like they’re off limits when they have allegedly raped someone. Ridiculous.

There are indisputeable facts including the police report Mayorga made at the time and the hush money Ronaldo paid. Were they reported on?
I'd imagine not to any great degree until a guilty verdict.

I'm obviously no Ronaldo fan, and I do think it's newsworthy. But I can understand why the press are taking a wait and see approach. Particularly since the most significant documents probably will never be seen in a courtroom.

He makes almost $4,000 AUD an hour from just his playing contract.

That would hire some very good lawyers to make life hell for anyone who brings his name into disrepute.

In this era of sponsorship deals being torn up, and his being worth in the order of billions, the damages claim against a group who reports and leads to sponsors pulling out and then later a court finds him not guilty or there is no finding against him for other reasons, such as him reaching a settlement where she releases a statement agreeing with his version of events - then a news group could find themselves served with a damages bill in excess of a billion dollars.

He has the means to fight them, even if he can't win, he can make it hurt.

He makes almost $4,000 AUD an hour from just his playing contract.

That would hire some very good lawyers to make life hell for anyone who brings his name into disrepute.

In this era of sponsorship deals being torn up, and his being worth in the order of billions, the damages claim against a group who reports and leads to sponsors pulling out and then later a court finds him not guilty or there is no finding against him for other reasons, such as him reaching a settlement where she releases a statement agreeing with his version of events - then a news group could find themselves served with a damages bill in excess of a billion dollars.

He has the means to fight them, even if he can't win, he can make it hurt.

Yeah, this.

We aren't talking Adam Johnson.

We are talking one of the most marketable people on the planet and has been for over a decade. The media would want to be 100% legally watertight on anything they run with, as the defamation potential is huge.

I imagine commentators across the world would of been advised by their media organisations on how to commentate on him. It's not a bias thing, purely risk management.

No media organisation on the planet is immune from being crushed by a $500m+ defamation case, thousands of jobs could hinge on the slip a tongue or a loose opinion piece in the case of a sports star like Ronaldo and his legitimate earning potential.

Very very valid points.

It’s almost unprecedented someone of his status and fame being accused of this.

In terms of global image, popularity, a brand etc, I struggle to think of someone as “big” as Ronaldo.

Perhaps only Beckham has come close to him in recent times. But Ronaldo is just about in a league of his own, the mainstream media are being very cautious accordingly.

i think after the lance armstrong drugs stuff that newspapers are very hesitant to go big with these stories.
Sports journos aren't willing to go after stars who are too big to fail. The few journos who went after Armstrong were ostracised for years. Mind you Ronaldo doesn't have the cancer survivor + Livestrong thing going for him, he's just worth a lot of money to a lot of people.

There was a first round of him claiming damages against them, then when it came to him admitting they were actually right there was no money left for them to sue him in return.
that as well as just the constant threats from armstrong, his people and his legions of fans whenever drug taking came up. journalists potentially sitting on definitive proof, failed samples and whatnot, but being howled down as jealous and just wanting to see a good man lose.

hell, i guess all these years latter nothing has really changed

Very very valid points.

It’s almost unprecedented someone of his status and fame being accused of this.

In terms of global image, popularity, a brand etc, I struggle to think of someone as “big” as Ronaldo.

Perhaps only Beckham has come close to him in recent times. But Ronaldo is just about in a league of his own, the mainstream media are being very cautious accordingly.

Yeah, he has more Instagram followers than anyone else on the planet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting some more traction finally within the mainstream media. Simply googling “ronaldo rape case” yields a host of results.

The BBC even have a “ronaldo rape allegation” section listing the various articles in sequence over the last few months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c12jzjr2m73t/ronaldo-rape-allegation

It’s not going away anytime soon and it s**t will hit the fan if he is to stand trial.

Getting some more traction finally within the mainstream media. Simply googling “ronaldo rape case” yields a host of results.

The BBC even have a “ronaldo rape allegation” section listing the various articles in sequence over the last few months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c12jzjr2m73t/ronaldo-rape-allegation

It’s not going away anytime soon and it s**t will hit the fan if he is to stand trial.

What are the chances of that actually happening? Would her accepting money in exchange for not pursuing a criminal complaint affect the ability of the police to have him charged?

What are the chances of that actually happening? Would her accepting money in exchange for not pursuing a criminal complaint affect the ability of the police to have him charged?

A civil complaint and a criminal case are very different things, so I don’t believe one impedes the other. I don’t know the chances of him actually standing trial though, especially when it comes to extradition agreements with Portuguese citizen and the USA etc.

From what I’ve read, her legal team are arguing the arrangement she signed is null and void, given the circumstances around it. The intimidation tactics, her very fragile mental health, the promise of Ronaldo being at mediation to lure her in (but he never really was intended to be there).

So I believe that’s why they’re moving foreword via the criminal system. I don’t claim to know what would happen though if a warrant was issued for Ronaldo’s arrest etc, no idea how that would actually work if it proceeds to that stage.

Amazing how this still isnt front page news everywhere.

To say what? He was accused of rape. We don’t need every paper stating the same thing. Wait until some actual evidence comes in. When/if that happens I’m sure it’ll be front page news.

At the moment it’s gossip and hearsay.

Neymar responds to rape allegations by releasing WhatsApp messages between him and his accuser:

https://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2019/06/02/5cf38cb622601dfe618b458e.html

Running google translate one of the messages roughly translates to "that was amazing let's shag again!"

The incident was alleged to have occurred May 15th in a hotel in Paris. No complaint was made to French police - the accuser made allegations to Brazillian police after travelling back to Brazil.

For me, if these messages really are genuine and did occur after the supposed incident I do not see how Neymar could possibly be guilty of sexual assault.

If all of this is true I can see it negatively affecting the Ronaldo sexual assault case which is a shame.

If all of this is true I can see it negatively affecting the Ronaldo sexual assault case which is a shame.

What do you even mean with this comment? They aren't comparable and both accusations are based in entirely different countries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back