Analysis Critique of coaching and tactics 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

It was suggested by numbwombat in the suggestions thread that it would be good to have a place to discuss and critique current and topical coaching/tactical issues rather than going over old ground about historical coaching records, comparisons, successes and failings.

This is the place to do just that. Current, 2017 issues.

General Chris Scott discussion - contract situation, his record and past results, etc. already has a home here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/chris-scotts-coaching-part-ii.1142401/

Interestingly we played the very deliberate , slow game over here for the first half v Dockers in NAB 2016 . We were a couple up at half time and looked good.
Second half were more like run and gun and went down by a couple in the end - looked turnover prone and not as good as first half when the Dockers struggled to get the ball of us.
It was the first half style that dominated 2016 , I wonder how we'll structure up and move it in JLT 2017 ?

Coach and selectors already showing how cagey they are by not picking dynamo Jemaine Jones in the first practice game....

Obviously keeping their powder dry.....:thumbsu:

Don't know how he's been performing on the training track, but a real story behind him and sounds as if he's genuinely driven and motivated by it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Def change, but too early to assess meaningful improvement, WIN or lose.
What we should be able to see at the very least is if we have any more speed especially off half back, and also if our forward 50 entries have improved not to mention our forward 50 scoring efficiency. Mainly I'll really be hoping that Cocky or someone will provide some real dash and dynamism, still angry we didn't recruit Shai Bolton as I felt he was far more the type of player we needed more than an average pace player like Parfitt.

Coach and selectors already showing how cagey they are by not picking dynamo Jemaine Jones in the first practice game....

Obviously keeping their powder dry.....:thumbsu:
I hope we get to see him during the pre-season, I think he has real potential to add some x factor for us deep forward.

What we should be able to see at the very least is if we have any more speed especially off half back, and also if our forward 50 entries have improved not to mention our forward 50 scoring efficiency. Mainly I'll really be hoping that Cocky or someone will provide some real dash and dynamism, still angry we didn't recruit Shai Bolton as I felt he was far more the type of player we needed more than an average pace player like Parfitt.
I'm also really hoping to see that from Cocky. I'd love him in the middle because IMO he could be one of those players that could keep us in the game if we're not playing well by doing a few special things against the run of play.
I think we've lacked that in recent years.
Without either of them playing a game yet I'd prefer Parfitt over Bolton. Bolton is quicker but I think Parfitt is the type of player who can sort of slow down time with his evasive skills. Sort of looks like he has more time than anyone else.

I'm also really hoping to see that from Cocky. I'd love him in the middle because IMO he could be one of those players that could keep us in the game if we're not playing well by doing a few special things against the run of play.
I think we've lacked that in recent years.
Without either of them playing a game yet I'd prefer Parfitt over Bolton. Bolton is quicker but I think Parfitt is the type of player who can sort of slow down time with his evasive skills. Sort of looks like he has more time than anyone else.

Thats been the wrap on him until now

Each to their own, and you're right, without seeing either play it's hard to judge but I just think it's still bleedingly obvious looking at our squad for tomorrow nights game that we need more speed and not just a little bit but way more! If we're playing Taylor, Hawkins, Blicavs, Stanley, Smith, Lonergan, Henderson, and Stewart, that's 8 slow lumbering players on the ground? Nearly half the team on the ground at any given time, we'll just be torn to shreds by teams with pace.

Each to their own, and you're right, without seeing either play it's hard to judge but I just think it's still bleedingly obvious looking at our squad for tomorrow nights game that we need more speed and not just a little bit but way more! If we're playing Taylor, Hawkins, Blicavs, Stanley, Smith, Lonergan, Henderson, and Stewart, that's 8 slow lumbering players on the ground? Nearly half the team on the ground at any given time, we'll just be torn to shreds by teams with pace.

That's right.......and should also be remembered that these games are more about getting games into players, exposing youngsters, and trialling tactics than results themselves.

Jump on the Jones wagon BC.....

Theres a lot of room on here right now. Premium seats available. :D:thumbsu:
I actually will jump on with you because I really think the type of player he is will be crucial for us getting anywhere this season, I just hope the coaching staff have the balls to give him a go deep forward sitting and waiting for scraps off Hawkins and co.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back