Remove this Banner Ad

Spitter9

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
This 4 (maybe 5) game period that Crocker will have been in charge for will end up telling us more about Scott than Crocker IMO. Will be very interesting to see how the team plays and what changes Scott keeps that Crocker has implemented (Jacobs tagging for example). I have to admit that I've loved the changes Crocker has brought with him.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Some interesting theories and conjecture in this thread.

(Move to have the thread subtitled: "1 + 1 = Whatever The Hell I Decide It's Going To Be".)
You,ve just cracked one of life's secrets, as it underpins tipping, economic forecasting, political commentary, people's response to anthropic global warming and so many other things :)

Mr. Blonde

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Some interesting theories and conjecture in this thread.

(Move to have the thread subtitled: "1 + 1 = Whatever The Hell I Decide It's Going To Be".)

I have noticed this as well TOD, that's why I will counter some of these theories with some facts of my own that don't paint Crocker in such a good light.

In Crockers 3 games in charge:
Waite - goal average down
Swallow - averaging less tackles and possessions
Thomas - goal average well down
Cunnington - uncontested possessions down
Goldstein - clearances are down
Tarrant - averaging less marks
Firrito - possessions are down
Petrie - tackles are down
.....and I could go on.

These stats point out that players just aren't responding to Crocker as a coach like they do under Brad Scott.

For those wanting to reply, I think Crocker is great and this post is very much tongue-in-cheek.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I have noticed this as well TOD, that's why I will counter some of these theories with some facts of my own that don't paint Crocker in such a good light.

In Crockers 3 games in charge:
Waite - goal average down
Swallow - averaging less tackles and possessions
Thomas - goal average well down
Cunnington - uncontested possessions down
Goldstein - clearances are down
Tarrant - averaging less marks
Firrito - possessions are down
Petrie - tackles are down
.....and I could go on.

These stats point out that players just aren't responding to Crocker as a coach like they do under Brad Scott.

For those wanting to reply, I think Crocker is great and this post is very much tongue-in-cheek.

2015 Scotts: 44% winning%
2015 Future Carlton Coach Crocker (FCCC): 66% winning%

Class dis----missed.

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think you can honestly say this team would be worse off with Crocker at the helm than Scotts.

Thanks god Crockers coaching against the Gold Coast this weekend otherwise Ablett would be just running around getting possessions at will. Jacobs won't get a better opportunity to test himself against an elite player who's underdone.

I don't scratch my ears until they bleed when Crocker fronts the media.

Scott should be banned from being "as outraged, disgusted, humiliated, assaulted by a Mammoth" ever again. I'm over it, just do your job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
does anyone have confirmation that Scott didn't say to move jacobs as a tagger? other than that i haven't seen any noticeable changes in the team.

We beat WCE and GWS and competitive against Sydney. I thought we played best against Sydney with the second qtr letting us down. WCE and GWS weren't great wins, still made silly errors, still have unclean disposal coming to our outside runners. Against GWS, watching our kick outs from a behind made me cringe every time, they were utterly hopeless and against a decent side would have been slaughtered everytime.

does anyone have confirmation that Scott didn't say to move jacobs as a tagger? other than that i haven't seen any noticeable changes in the team.

We beat WCE and GWS and competitive against Sydney. I thought we played best against Sydney with the second qtr letting us down. WCE and GWS weren't great wins, still made silly errors, still have unclean disposal coming to our outside runners. Against GWS, watching our kick outs from a behind made me cringe every time, they were utterly hopeless and against a decent side would have been slaughtered everytime.

We were barely leading kicking into a huge breeze.

The WCE win was our best this season.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We were barely leading kicking into a huge breeze.

The WCE win was our best this season.

i disagree, sloppy for over half the game, the last quarter was just fantastic and got us over the line. 4 qtr wins i rate more highly than a shitty performance for 2 and a half quarters and a great comeback in the last against a sub par team (yes WCE are second but they're no way a top 6 team).

regardless, croker hasn't changed much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i disagree, sloppy for over half the game, the last quarter was just fantastic and got us over the line. 4 qtr wins i rate more highly than a shitty performance for 2 and a half quarters and a great comeback in the last against a sub par team (yes WCE are second but they're no way a top 6 team).

regardless, croker hasn't changed much.

What win that we've had this year was better?

Hapless Brisbane?

Tight win over *?

For a team that plays indoors and can melt in the heat, that last quarter against the wind was decent.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What win that we've had this year was better?

Hapless Brisbane?

Tight win over *?

For a team that plays indoors and can melt in the heat, that last quarter against the wind was decent.

just an opinion, i understand why the WCE win was thought to be so great because we were behind and against the wind, but overall, the 2 and a half quarters before it were below standard. Best win for me is Geelong at skilled, slow start but fairly solid 3 quarters after that holding off a late surge.

just an opinion. point was about crocker, not the best win of the season.

Crocks strikes me as laid back, willing to give the leadership autonomy to make decisions, but himself not afraid to step in and make decisions and give feedback good or bad when needed. A good balance.

I just don't get the airhead 'keep playing this guy until he comes good/it's good experience longterm/I'm going to stick to my structures no matter what' vibe from him at all. He seems to be cut from the old school 'pick a team to win, and then coach a team to win' cloth, where the computer has it's use during the week, but on the weekend it's about responding to what's actually happening out there.

Of course, this is just the vibe I get when he's interim coach. I just like what I see. And sure, it's probably a freed-up side listening to a different voice, and there will always be some immediate positives that can be seen (see Carlton right now, maybe we're Carlton-lite :p), however I think past a honeymoon period, I don't think Crocks would be the type of guy to tolerate rubbish performances for too long without actually doing anything.

tl;dr?
"Crocks is a meat, potatoes and, if things get too unhealthy, maybe sometimes bowl of peas, old school coach, who likes to try to win every game".

I read the tl;dr version and then had to read the long version to understand the tl;dr version. Now I just have to decipher the long version. :cool:

DCS OO7

Cancelled
May 26, 2011
Anglesea
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel a more reliable team with Crocker.
With Scott you just never know how were going to turn up and yes I know Crocker has only coached 3 games but even when he filled in a few years I still got a stable vibe with him in charge.

DJ Dupree

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dragons, Rovers
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel a more reliable team with Crocker.
With Scott you just never know how were going to turn up and yes I know Crocker has only coached 3 games but even when he filled in a few years I still got a stable vibe with him in charge.

Meat and potatoes.

Stick to the basics, do them well. If it's not working, do something else too.

I get the feeling that a lot of our matchday mindset is driven by our coach.

Crocker seems like he 'owns it', and will have the answers should plan A go awry.

The other guy appears to throw his arms up in the air and wonder how on earth his masterplan is unravelling before his eyes, and looks helpless and shocked as it gets worse. Inspiring stuff.

Then he trots out the same sentences afterwards, basically condoning capitulation (or, as in the hawks debacle, endorsing it).

I know who I want in charge of this team for the rest of the year, and I'm utterly dreading Scott's return to the box.

kelman

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2002
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The other guy appears to throw his arms up in the air and wonder how on earth his masterplan is unravelling before his eyes, and looks helpless and shocked as it gets worse. Inspiring stuff.

Yep. I remember you saying the exact same thing after the Essendon final.

So much crap in this thread. If Scott had been coaching, the same people would be loudly whining about our 2nd and 3rd quarters. Our second quarter against Sydney was some of the worst footy we have played all year. our third against GWS wasn't much better.

I have enjoyed a different voice and I like Crock, but FFS.

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
Yep. I remember you saying the exact same thing after the Essendon final.

So much crap in this thread. If Scott had been coaching, the same people would be loudly whining about our 2nd and 3rd quarters. Our second quarter against Sydney was some of the worst footy we have played all year. our third against GWS wasn't much better.

I have enjoyed a different voice and I like Crock, but FFS.

Don't forget about that s**t after 1/2 time with Collingwood..... And i have said it before, i am glad Walsh is there but i don't think anyone is saying Brad is a s**t coach he has some flaws and is stubborn at times. Having Crocker come in and mixing things up a little has improved us overall, the staff are learning more and hopefully Brad does too.

Back