Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Holmes still has a year on his contract. I am not sure how that works but a contract is a contract and I would imagine the Cowboys or whoever would have to buy the contract out. Then again the NRL is that piss weak they could allow anything to happen.

This was the last year of his contract, he has been released from it but cannot join another NRL club this season. Next year however he can do what he likes

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow. Having sat through the months and months it took for the self-reported cap case to be reviewed, and just secured a major sponsor, you'd think he'd be able to now consolidate. I can understand why he might have fallen on his sword, but I think this endless turmoil isn't good for the Club. We still don't know if we have to give up a player :(

EDIT: Club Statement - https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2019/03/05/barry-russell-sharks-ceo-statement/

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Having read Barry Russell's statement I am still left wondering why he quit. The past twelve months has obviously been pretty stressful but Barry appears to have done the hard yards.

As Barry Russell says, 'We are now through this very difficult period and I believe the time is right for the Club to have a fresh start and be taken forward in a new direction'.

Barry's decision is made so we move on and hopefully we can get someone who has his or her finger on the pulse and will give us some much needed stability.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Talk that Segeyaro will be let go :(

PS LOL at Cameron Smith indignantly claiming that they're the hard done by good guys. Hmmmm...

I think we can cover Segeyaro although it would be a shame to loose him. Even without Seggy we still have a solid squad and if the new Coach has the players in the right frame of mind we will push for a spot in the top eight. I have not heard any further on who we will release but as the season starts in two days something will have to happen soon. :)

Cameron Smith is fast gaining a reputation for never letting the facts get in the road of his arguments. Maybe he is angling for a career in the media? For the record...

Cronulla breached the salary cap by 700k in 2015, 2017 and 2018 while Melbourne were over by 3.78 million over a five year period. Melbourne's rorting was that severe that it was investigated by the Victorian Police Fraud Squad and ASIC. At Cronulla we self reported our breech whilst Melbourne was uncovered by a whistle blower believed to be the club's former Chief Financial Officer Paul Vale. Despite the explanations of former Board Members there is no excuse for what happened at Cronulla but it pales to insignificance when compared to the Melbourne Storm saga.

Melbourne Storm, and in particular certain ex club officials were lucky they didn't face fraud charges. :(

PS I have to say the explanations offered by a few of our former officials are, in my opinion a tasteless cover up. To link the over payment of players to the Cronulla Riot of 2005 is rubbish. We ****ed up and we should all acknowledge that.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Melbourne's rorting was that severe that it was investigated by the Victorian Police Fraud Squad and ASIC.

and no charges were laid. But all salary cap breaches are investigated by police and ASIC heck Parramatta had their CEO was charged by police for fraud and given a two year good behavour bond stemming from their salary cap breach so what level of severe is that if charges were in fact laid and proven in court?

End of the day cheating is cheating, the amounts don't (or should) matter. The Sharks should've lost their Premiership and talk of the Storm getting their two back is delusional at best.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
and no charges were laid. But all salary cap breaches are investigated by police and ASIC heck Parramatta had their CEO was charged by police for fraud and given a two year good behavour bond stemming from their salary cap breach so what level of severe is that if charges were in fact laid and proven in court?

End of the day cheating is cheating, the amounts don't (or should) matter. The Sharks should've lost their Premiership and talk of the Storm getting their two back is delusional at best.

I corrected a factual error in my original post as Cronulla has satisfied the NRL that it was under the salary cap in 2016, the years in question are 2015 and 2017-18. It is a tad ironic that we won the Premiership in a year that we were under the cap. I can see where non Cronulla supporters might smell a rat but if there is no evidence and the NRL is satisfied the Premiership has to stand. Melbourne Storm were stripped of their Premierships and a World Club title because they were shown to be over the cap in those years. Cam Smith conveniently overlooks that detail.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trading off an immediate gain with long term financial security. We don't have a lot of choice right now and this does at least firm up our future. But we need to get to a stage where we're not losing $3m a year in the football department.

The best way to do that is onfield. So of course tonight's result was entirely predictable, against a team we routinely belt :rolleyes:.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
We haven't hit our straps yet but I have been impressed with Moylan at full back. He should fill in nicely for Val Holmes.

But you are right eddie they have been a bogey side for us.

We get a 40m cash injection yet flag taking games away from Shark Park in order to boost our coffers. Apparently not one game at Shark Park ran at a profit last year and even in our Premiership year we ran at a loss. It has been suggested we play a game in Fiji or Tonga. These games would need to be subsidised by the NRL to make it worth while. I assume the NRL subside games in non traditional areas just as the AFL does?

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Cronulla should lose next week also but once they get healthy and get everyone on the park think they are real good shot at top 4.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Have not seen the entire game but the Eels looked good and we were run over in the last 15 minutes or so.

We obviously need to get Moylan, Johnson and Gallen back.

Early days yet and I am not so sure about a top 4 finish. I think 6-8 is probably more realistic but I am willing to be surprised.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I thought this was the best game of the weekend so far, and a gallant effort by your depleted side against an Eels side who continue to impress in both defence and attack. Moses and Gutherson are starting to look very classy indeed. If the Eels can keep hold of them.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
A win is a win but geez the last couple of games we have started like we hadn't played for twelve months. Some pretty basic ball handling errors by Dugan and feki cost us dearly. I have never liked penalty tries but the one we got was there as Chad Townsend was tackled before he got the ball.

In the end we finished all over Penrith. I thought we had too many runners for them and a couple of the younger guys were impressive. I liked what i saw of Kennedy, Xerri, Nikora.

We have some promising young talent but we are missing Moylan, Graham and Woods plus Fifita, Johnson and Gallen are playing under difficulty. If we can get these guys up and running we will give the finals a good run.

A couple of hard games coming up and we need our best players fit.

Last edited:
Love seeing the young guys step up. Need to secure the futures of those guys quick smart.

Xerri promises to provide many highlights for years to come with that size, strength and pace.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Absolutely amazing result given the circumstances. The future looks good with the young players we have blooded.

Apparently Matt Prior copped a shoulder early on, hopefully it is not too bad as we do not need another injury.

It was a game of errors but it is nice to come away with another win against the Storm. our record against Melbourne is pretty good over the last four or five seasons. We have had more problems beating the Titans who we play this week.

Matt Moylan should be back for the Manly game but Shaun Johnson and Aaron Woods are several weeks away while Wade Graham will be out until round 13.

The glaring factor in our injury list is the number of hamstring injuries that are happening at the Sharks this year. Maybe our fitness guy needs to look at the pre match conditioning and warm ups? If I were Morris I would be getting the fitness staff out to one or two of the AFL clubs to see what they do. Maybe it is just me but the AFL teams seem to put a lot more into pre match warm ups than the NRL sides. The AFL clubs spend time in the rooms doing stretching exercises and training drills then they go out onto the ground and run and kick for 20 or so minutes.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cr...as-injury-crisis-worsens-20190428-p51hyg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back