Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Thought I would start a 2018 Sharks thread. Here goes..

Matty Johns has said, 'Valentine Holmes is the best winger in the world.' He has also said, 'he [Val] should play on the wing.' Johns named Holmes as the most disappointing player of round 1.

Michael Ennis has said, 'I won a premiership with Valentine on the wing and that is where he should play.'
Ennis the Menace went on to suggest that he would play Holmes on the wing and Duggan at full back.

If it is good enough for those two it is good enough for me. Holmes had a bad one last Friday and Duggan was no better so a move of Josh Duggan to full back and Holmes to the wing makes sense. This would bring Duggan into the play and allow Val to do what he does best- run with the ball. It would also create problems for an opponent trying to cover our back line.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Anyone going to the sharks v st George tomorrow night know if there's any transport between Cronulla station and the stadium? A group of us are going by train and there's nothing on the NRL or Sharks website s.

There are normally buses but don't quote me on that. I'd just be surprised if they stopped doing it as they were fairly popular.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Not as poor as some.

We have not been flogged despite not being able to get our first choice side on the park.

If we can get Duggan in the backs, Moylan in the halves and Lewis up forward we will be able stabilise our side.

Beating last year's Premiers without Duggan and Moylan shows we have some depth.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
We got what we deserved. Were are the young stars of the future in our squad? We rely too heavily on the old stagers such as Gallen and Lewis. It is time to give youth a go. The Coach's son Kyle is supposed to be a young gun so let's see what he has.

Yes, like Holmes Fifita's season has been disappointing to say the least. I am not ready to discard him just yet as he is capable of winning games but his form does need to lift.

Some experts had us finishing as high as fifth in 2018 but on the face of it, it is hard to see why. Losing Maloney was a huge loss and both Dugan and Moylan have struggled with injury and fitting into the side. Flanagan didn't get it right from the start as Holmes should have been on the wing and either Moylan or Dugan at full back. In 2016 Holmes scored 19 tries from the wing but in 2017 that dropped to 9 tries from full back. Holmes is our best attacking weapon and he has to stay on the wing.

It just seems to be our side has a tired look to it and we are in need of some restructuring and an injection of youth. I would sooner loose as a bunch of young kids with hope than a bunch of old timers with no future.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Just watched you guys limp past the game but very limited Titans. Not impressive at all. Last-tackle options! How many times did you get caught with the ball?

Moylan is not in the same league as Maloney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Just watched you guys limp past the game but very limited Titans. Not impressive at all. Last-tackle options! How many times did you get caught with the ball?

Moylan is not in the same league as Maloney.

Did you watch us last week when we beat a side with James Maloney in it?

Maloney is good player and I wish he was still a Cronulla player but Penrith is Maloney's sixth NRL club in ten years so that must tell you something about the guy.

In 2017 The Titans beat us twice which cost us a top four spot so any win against them is sweet.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Yeah I watched you last week, and you kept Maloney pretty quiet. And fair play to you for that. I don't change my mind about their relative abilities, though.

I don't see Maloney's changes of clubs as significant; for me, he has improved every club he has been at since the Warriors. He is just about my favourite player in the NRL, and I was delighted to have the chance to see him play live when you guys came to our place, and even more delighted to see him lose. :p

I have a soft spot for you guys, but really, you need to sharpen up your attack.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flanagan has poured cold water on the Todd Carney to Cronulla rumour. Pity as Carney may be a bit of a loose canon but he is a damn good player. With our injury list we need a boost from somewhere. Carney left us after the infamous 'bubbling' photo went viral and obviously some people at Shark Park have long memories.

The laugh is that Manly, who are reported to have a fractured playing group, are now rumoured to be thinking about Carney. Provided of course they have room in their controversial salary cap.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sometimes we look better when the senior players are out, but the toll is heavy at the moment. re Fifita, in 2018 I tend to agree, but given that he scored the most important try in Sharkie history, i'm prepared to carry him regardless,

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Todd Carney? Couldn't even make an impact for the God-awful Catalan Dragons! Forget him. And Manly, let's face it, are in desperate straits at the moment.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Would like us to look at Moses Mbye if the rumours are correct. Not sure how our salary cap is but apparently the Bulldogs have some 2019 cap issues and are looking to off load Moses.

According to Paul Kent Mbye would be released on a similar deal to ex Bulldog James Graham with Canterbury paying half his salary. Mbye is reportedly on 900K per annum so whoever gets him would need to find 450K. With Gallen and Maybe Lewis going at the end of 2018 we might have that sort of leeway.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Would like us to look at Moses Mbye if the rumours are correct. Not sure how our salary cap is but apparently the Bulldogs have some 2019 cap issues and are looking to off load Moses.

According to Paul Kent Mbye would be released on a similar deal to ex Bulldog James Graham with Canterbury paying half his salary. Mbye is reportedly on 900K per annum so whoever gets him would need to find 450K. With Gallen and Maybe Lewis going at the end of 2018 we might have that sort of leeway.

How is Mbye on 900k? Ridiculous, been reasonable this season from what I've seen but still that's crazy.

As for today, that's the type of win that restores confidence in this team and if last season is anything to go by they'll go out and lose to the Dogs at home.

Can we relocate to Canberra?

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
How is Mbye on 900k? Ridiculous, been reasonable this season from what I've seen but still that's crazy.

As for today, that's the type of win that restores confidence in this team and if last season is anything to go by they'll go out and lose to the Dogs at home.

Can we relocate to Canberra?

Yes, 900K is a lot of money for Mbye. Of course we would only be paying half of that which is what happened with James Graham at St George. 450K is probably about Mbye's value. The original Graham and Mbye contracts would probably have been negotiated by the previous Bulldogs Board which was dysfunctional to say the least.

We will be able to get a closer look at Mbye this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back