moto748

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Strong performance, and all the makeshift backline deserve a lot of credit. But yeah, the Cowboys are a poor side.

Hooker

Yes
Feb 14, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
You can do it, get on board.
I spent my entire working life without seeing the Sharks even make a GF. I was a student in 1978, where we were cheated out of the win (drew and lost the replay) then didn't get another chance for 38 years 😁. I was at both games - in 78 it cost me 50c, and in 2016 $300 😋.

Being a Sharks fan teaches resilience. Welcome aboard 😁.
still so torn but i got both until i make up my mind. leaning towards the sharks though
AAC18131-B48A-446E-AFA8-82BC764DC14F.jpeg

Capital Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
Definitely Sharkies .. where's the fun in winning the premiership every second year supporting a manufactured team that no-one cares about :p

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
We let yet another shoulda won game slip. We are competitive with the top six sides but not good enough to win. We were run over in the last 15 minutes.

This article looks interesting...

A fair section of the media think John Morris' days at Cronulla are numbered. The article below is not a bad read as it outlines some interesting facts. Apparently we are cashed up in the salary cap and Moylan, Woods, Duggan and Johnson do not have deals beyond this season. Given their injury histories perhaps Moylan, Duggan and Johnson along with Andrew Fifita are on the way out along with the current Coach.

The next few weeks will be interesting.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I am one of those who find the decision to replace the Coach a little puzzling. Morris has not had it easy over the past two seasons as some of the big names signed post 2016 have not produced due to injury, age etc. Morris also coached last year in the aftermath of a salary cap violation which was not his fault. As I posted previously the Coach should not be the only one in the firing line.

The CEO, Dino Mezzatesta had this to say,

"As coach John has brought through a number of promising youngsters to where they are now performing at an NRL level, his work ethic can't be questioned and there is little doubt he has a bright future as a coach in the NRL. We certainly wish him future success.

If all that is true Dino why change? I guess it is the standard 'what a great guy' PR that clubs give out when they sack the Coach.

Of course the Chooks will not release Fitzgibbon before October so we have a fill in Coach for the rest of 2021.

Capital Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
Nuts. Easy to argue that Morris has overachieved given the cap, injury and long term contracts to aging player issues. It seems like it's always Back to the Future with the Sharks.

eddiesmith

TheBrownDog
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I think they always saw Morris as a stop gap whilst the club ride out the impacts of the penalties then start fresh with a full cap and good coach.

I’m guessing they saw an opportunity to get a coach they see as the future and went for it, a lot like AFL clubs target Clarko’s assistants.

Disappointing that Morris has left immediately, but whilst he has got us competitive and into finals, our record against top 8 sides means we’re always pushing sh*t uphill to actually be a contender. Plus our defence is terrible so bringing in a coach responsible for the top sides defence is a great move.

I’m excited for the future, this year was always a bit of a write off, but I do hope they keep SJ, even Dugan is surely still a better option than Chambers?

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Meet the interim Coach.

My pet gripe with these press conferences is they never mike the media up properly and sometimes it is hard to hear the exact questions. The AFL is the same as you hear the answer and sometimes you are trying to use the answer to work out what the question is. But anyway that is the interim Coach.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
What the fu**. We went within 150mm of winning that game! Talakai needed another step to get the ball down, then Rudolph dropped the loose ball and Newcastle got off the hook.

I guess with the upheaval of this week, playing away and injuries to Graham, Dugan and Mulitalo coming back from 6-14 down at half time was a spirited try but our supporters deserve more than good tries (pardon the pun).

We are now 2-4 and are up against it. We have the Bulldogs next week then face the Storm, Panthers and Rabbitohs in the following three weeks. We have a sh*t draw this year as we will have played the Eels, Raiders, Roosters, Knights, Storm, Panthers and Rabbits in the first ten weeks so a 3-7 record should not be a surprise. I guess we will get a few easier games later in the year but by then our season may be all over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eddiesmith

TheBrownDog
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
At least as we get one good game next week before a hellish month.

By the time we start playing the crap teams, SJ should be back to full match fitness as well. Didn’t expect him back so soon.

Looking at our draw, after the Rabbits, we’ve got 12 very winnable games, after the Bye we play Penrith, 10 straight games v teams we can beat then finish With the Storm.

IF we turned it all around, 12-12 is a very reasonable expectation. Better if it clicks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad