Cronulla Sharks 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
12-12 at half time. Allowed Brisbane to dictate early on and our first try was against the run of it. Have to do better in the second half.

Another game with Matt Moylan looking on from the side lines. Moylan has a sad history of soft tissue injury this time he injures his calf in the warm up. Why are we keeping this guy on the books? He costs 800k a year and seems to miss every third game. I would have got rid of Moylan before Woods or Johnson.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I am really angry about that result and we are light years off the pace and do not deserve to make the 8. We have now lost to 3 of the bottom 4 sides!

We refused to pick Chad Townsend yet we continue to pick Matt Moylan who cannot complete the warm up without getting injured. I realise that Chad Townsend was leaving at the end of the year but both Nico Hynes and Ado Carr are leaving Melbourne but continue to get picked.

:mad: :mad:

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nothing surprises me about this team. It seems every year we pull one out against the top teams and fold against the dross. Yesterday was entirely predictable, especially with the way the Johnson story played out. You get the impression the whole club is just marking time this year.

I think I'm about twenty years past angry ;)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
After last week we will take a 20-12 win against a top 8 contender. Once again we went to sleep in the second half.

On the credit side Braydon Trindall was a highlight and I think there is more value playing Tridall in the halves than persevering with Matt Moylan. Also liked Talakai and Rudolf up front. They provided some real grunt.

The NRL competition is off to sunny Queensland sometime this week. Life in the bubble may not disadvantage us as much a side like Parramatta who will miss playing at Bankwest. As we have been in temporary digs at Kograh all this year we have not really had the home ground advantage that other teams have had. We were drawn to play the Raiders in Canberra this week but it looks like the Raiders will also be going to Queensland. Playing in Queensland and not Canberra should be a plus for us.

Not such a plus for you Capital Power as you miss the chance to go to the game.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Am happy for the game to be moved TBH, as you say it increases our chances of winning. Raiders have been a letdown this year but we're good last time out. Be good if we could look focussed for more than 15 minutes though...

(as an aside would also not be unhappy if Port's Canberra game was also moved. Our record here is terrible)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It was Katoa on Sironen. Even the usually biased commentators couldn't believe it. Not even charged. Looks like the NRL have gone soft again.

Katoa went on report and it was looked at. When you look frame by frame Katoa contacts Sironen with an open hand, it is not a fist or a forearm as some would have you believe. It almost looks like Katoa is not looking at Sironen and is trying to hit the ball. His hand actually contacts the ball then deflects into the falling Sironen's face. The aftermath probably looked worse than the action. I think that is what prompted Braith Anasta's over the top comments. Sironen was not 'split open' as Braith anasta says but there was a lot of blood. He was not hit by a 'swinging arm' but by an hand as the vision shows. In fact Sironen falls face down and his face bounces on the ground.

Any way look at the clip below and judge for yourself.

1626122284332.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
By the standards we've seen in recent weeks, that was a yellow every day of the week. It certainly falls in the category of a reckless disregard for player safety, even if you accept what raptalia says.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Another Sharks game of two halves. Up 30-6 at HT I said that we were in danger of losing, and sure enough we cough up two in two minutes. If it was anyone but the Bulldogs it would have been touch and go after that, but we steadied a little and finished with a good (but not particularly convincing) win.

Johnson's season (and career with the Sharks) looks over after another hammy :(. I wonder what could have been if we'd been able to keep him on the park with any consistency.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Sadly it looks like SJ is one of those guys whose remarkable talent has never shone as brightly as it should have in a career blighted by injury.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Another Sharks game of two halves. Up 30-6 at HT I said that we were in danger of losing, and sure enough we cough up two in two minutes. If it was anyone but the Bulldogs it would have been touch and go after that, but we steadied a little and finished with a good (but not particularly convincing) win.

Johnson's season (and career with the Sharks) looks over after another hammy :(. I wonder what could have been if we'd been able to keep him on the park with any consistency.

Yes, it was a really poor twenty minutes at the start of the second half. First job for Fitzgibbon is to get these blokes playing 80 minutes of football. They went to the sheds at half time thinking the job was done and the rest was just a formality.

Sadly I suspect that is why we are parting company with Johnson. A top player but when you are paying 600k a year you expect the player to get onto the park. Moylan, Johnson and Dugan have all been beset with injuries, Johnson and Dugan are out of contract but I think Moylan has a year to go.

Murphy's Law probably dictates that Johnson will go back to the Warriors and play every game in 2022.

On a positive note Braydon Trindall is showing a bit of form and he could slot into the halves next year. The departure of Townsend and Johnson leaves a hole to fill. At least with Hynes and Tridall on the books the kicking is in good hands.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sadly it looks like SJ is one of those guys whose remarkable talent has never shone as brightly as it should have in a career blighted by injury.

It is only since he has been with us that Johnson has struggled with injury. He had a reasonably good run at the Warriors where he played 162 games in 8 seasons. Since joining us he has managed only 43 games in 3 seasons. Obviously 1.8M over 3 years for a return of 43 games is way too expensive for us. As I posted previously the decision to let Shaun go is not based on ability but value for money.

Sad to see Shuan go, for sure.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I dont know why we bother with guys like Tolman, Woods and Nikora.

******* useless after contact. 5 straight sets less than 40m. Our starting forwards a liability

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Agreed, I have some real concerns about Wade Graham's future as well. His record with concussion is not great and he may go the same way as Boyd Cordner.

I forgot the game was on and by all accounts I didn't miss much.

Manly are pretty hot atm but we are only making up the numbers until 2022.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Another scoreless half. Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

One thing Craig Fitzgibbon has to do is toughen these guys up mentally. As it is they cannot play 80 minutes of football.

Pretty disappointing we do not deserve to play finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back