Crooked Sussan Ley

Remove this Banner Ad

igon value

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The $795,000 Gold Coast apartment that Health Minister Sussan Ley bought on a taxpayer-funded trip last year was purchased from a large Liberal Party donor who knew her "in a professional capacity".

Ms Ley and her partner charged taxpayers $3949 for flights during the two-day trip to Queensland in May 2015 during which Ms Ley made an announcement about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in Brisbane.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-on-taxpayer-funded-trip-20170106-gtmypa.html

Gotta be done now.

Australia's politicians are taking the piss and milking us dry.

Crooked?

Her partners ticket should be re-payed.

She executed gov't business on the trip (i.e. would've needed to go anyway) so no issues there.

Crooked?

Her partners ticket should be re-payed.

She executed gov't business on the trip (i.e. would've needed to go anyway) so no issues there.

I agree that if she was on official business, from that point of view I don't have too much concern. If the only reason she needed to stay overnight was to effect the purchase of the apartment, then that's another story with regards to the expenses incurred as a result. I don't have a lot of concern, in general either with her partner accompanying her but if the only reason he was along was to negotiate the purchase, as has been reported, then again, that's a completely different story.

In the grand scheme of things it's a piddling amount but that's not the point of it.

I find it a bit hard to believe her too with the explanation that the apartment was bought on the spur of the moment. Unless you have billions, who visits somewhere and just on 'the spur of the moment' outlays pretty much $800,000? Does she really expect us to believe that there was no forward planning whatsoever involved with this purchase?

"Four legs good, two legs better." readily springs to mind.

From what I've seen over the years, everyone of all political persuasion are bloody crooks. The few times the parties seem to give each other bipartisan support, appears to be when wages and allowances are involved.

And if she casually mentions that her and her partner are looking at a property portfolio at the dinner after the PBS work and someone with a professional link to the health department sitting at her table mentions they have a property they are looking to sell.

Is the corruption if that person gave them a discount? Or is it about them not staying in the hotel quietly when the official business was over?

Can we have some actual scandal?

And if she casually mentions that her and her partner are looking at a property portfolio at the dinner after the PBS work and someone with a professional link to the health department sitting at her table mentions they have a property they are looking to sell.

Is the corruption if that person gave them a discount? Or is it about them not staying in the hotel quietly when the official business was over?

Yes, by both parties.

I actually think it is a minor situation and that most politicians have done it but I think her reasons are not that believable.
Now it has become bigger than it should be.
I quite like @Herne Hill Hammer's post.

No wonder the major parties run screaming from the thought of a Federal ICAC.

"Spur of the moment property purchase from a large Lib Donor" - nothing suss :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the surface it doesn't seem that much. She happened to utilize her presence to finalise a deal on an apartment. Not dodgy, nor shady.

The lie used to explain herself though suggests something else. I would be also be looking at apartment purchase/value price. Lucky the ''donor'' just happened by.

Don't think so. It was allegedly brought at an auction.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-on-taxpayer-funded-trip-20170106-gtmypa.html

However, it was an amazing coincidence that Ley just happened to be up there for the day of the auction...
Was she the Minister responsible for the $1.3Billion announcement? If so then she was there on business. That it was an auction and not a walk-in sale lends itself to her story.
Certainly a few more things need to be checked but all in all she is wriggling free

Was she the Minister responsible for the $1.3Billion announcement? If so then she was there on business. That it was an auction and not a walk-in sale lends itself to her story.
Certainly a few more things need to be checked but all in all she is wriggling free
Nothing major will come of it, but a few stories like this over January can snowball into something bigger for the government. The "impulse buy" statement is the only bit that sounds strange to me, it's along the lines of saying poor people don't drive cars...just perpetuates that sense of upper class, out of touch, snobbishness that pervades the LNP.

Nothing major will come of it, but a few stories like this over January can snowball into something bigger for the government. The "impulse buy" statement is the only bit that sounds strange to me, it's along the lines of saying poor people don't drive cars...just perpetuates that sense of upper class, out of touch, snobbishness that pervades the LNP.
Yes to the LNP , but you have to be careful because I think all politicians are out of touch. Feeney is a good example.

I actually think it is a minor situation and that most politicians have done it but I think her reasons are not that believable.

probably wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have the housing affordability crisis that we have.

otherwise, it stinks to high hell, and given she's born in Nigeria, scamming would come naturally...does Turnbull have the nuts to sack her?

Doesnt everyone buy properties when they are away on business? :)

You are correct. Politicians own many hundreds of investment properties, and holiday homes, as well as homes they buy in Canberra and then rent out to other politicians so that taxpayers can pay off their mortgages. We can only assume in the next few days the Libs will come up with a Labor politician who bought a property when on government business. They all do it.

And we wonder why they do nothing to fix housing affordability, and everything to boost the profits negative gearers make.

Anyone remember her blatantly breaking caretaker provisions during the election?

She is crooked as it gets.

Doesnt everyone buy properties when they are away on business? :)

You are correct. Politicians own many hundreds of investment properties, and holiday homes, as well as homes they buy in Canberra and then rent out to other politicians so that taxpayers can pay off their mortgages. We can only assume in the next few days the Libs will come up with a Labor politician who bought a property when on government business. They all do it.

And we wonder why they do nothing to fix housing affordability, and everything to boost the profits negative gearers make.
I was actually referring to politicians mixing government business with private travel.

For example I wonder whether Christensen and Bernardi will find some government business or pay for their own expenses when they come to Melbourne to attend the fundrasing for their friends for an anti halal case?

I was actually referring to politicians mixing government business with private travel.

For example I wonder whether Christensen and Bernardi will find some government business or pay for their own expenses when they come to Melbourne to attend the fundrasing for their friends for an anti halal case?

Like when Wayne Swan had a VIP Airforce jet fly from Brisbane to Melbourne for just him and his family to go to a Grand Final?

Yeah, heaps of pollies do stuff like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back