Gym & Misc CrossFit

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
raskolnikov is what this guy says about training having technique and strength components before the actual workout typical of all crossfit? If so, that's a better structure than I pictured.

I've never tried crossfit so I don't have much of an opinion other than to say anything that gets people exercising is a good thing, even if it's not perfect, program-wise.

Yes. The first 5 -10 minutes of each session is mobility work. Then it's usually a technique or skills session for 10 - 15 minutes followed by the work out.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes. The first 5 -10 minutes of each session is mobility work. Then it's usually a technique or skills session for 10 - 15 minutes followed by the work out.
Cool, what about programming for the guy off the street that says ‘hey I want to play?’

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Cool, what about programming for the guy off the street that says ‘hey I want to play?’

S/he would join in the mobility and technique sessions. The coach would then give him/her a scaled workout to do based on the prescribed workout. For example pull ups might be replaced with banded pull ups or ring rows. Burpees might be replaced with burps, double unders with single skips. Every CrossFit movement has a scaled option.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Can we just move on from the I’m right your wrong debate. This thread was started for people who enjoy CrossFit to discuss CrossFit, not to debates its merits. Minds aren’t going to be changed either way.

I’m pretty sure this is why the last thread went to s**t, raskolnikov started this thread to post work outs and discuss cross fit not to debate whether it’s safe or not.

Yes it may lead itself to a higher occurrence injuries as opposed to other forms of exercise, I would say that is down to operator error than the form of exercise itself.

You get morons in the gym with bad form and programming to. People in general getting all motivated and go from 0 to 100 in two weeks, get injured and then they lose motivation.

The thing is, people DON’T (on the whole) get injured more often doing CrossFit than pretty much any other form of exercise.
So clearly the programming/coaching isn’t that bad and/or those two factors aren’t nearly important as people make them out to be (as always, the answer probably lies in the middle).

That and I’d far rather people risk a sore shoulder participating in *insert activity here* than risk any number of diseases related to a sedentary/inactive lifestyle.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

This is similar to most gym owners I’ve spoken to, and how we taught it at the CF powerlifting cert.
(I) warm up/mobility
(II) 1-2 strength and or technical movement(s)
(III) 1-2 accessory movements (we taught this at the PL cert, don’t see it quite so much at other gyms)
(IV) WOD/conditioning

That, or they run sessions dedicated to a particular physical quality and members elect what session(s) they want to do.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
S/he would join in the mobility and technique sessions. The coach would then give him/her a scaled workout to do based on the prescribed workout. For example pull ups might be replaced with banded pull ups or ring rows. Burpees might be replaced with burps, double unders with single skips. Every CrossFit movement has a scaled option.
What’s a burp?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
A burpee without the push up part, so just kicking legs out and back in again.
But there is no push up in a burpee? You never need to drop down and come back up? You always just go straight down, legs out (bracing your core) legs in, and back up.

It is not advised to drop down and deactivate your core during a burpee.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
But there is no push up in a burpee? You never need to drop down and come back up? You always just go straight down, legs out (bracing your core) legs in, and back up.

It is not advised to drop down and deactivate your core during a burpee.

Burps are what the woman in this video is doing.

Burpees are what the guy in this video is doing.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Burps are what the woman in this video is doing.

Burpees are what the guy in this video is doing.

Yes the burp looked ok. I’ve seen a CrossFit instructor have her client drop right down to floor level, as in belly flop doing a burpee

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
How is going for a walk at night better than Crossfit?

Have you ever been inside a crossfit gym? Walk inside, and look at the population in there, fitter and healthier than 98% of the population, and 95% of normal gyms. Have you seen the type of stupid s**t that goes on in your average gym?

Is it perfect? No, but neither is bodybuilding, powerlifting, running, team sports etc that Aeglos pointed out have the same injury rates at crossfit.

Go down to your average amateur footy club/basketball team, do most of those guys/girls do the required athletic preparation to play the sport? Hell no, and injury rates are pretty high in it. But I don't see you having a crack at footy or basketball.

I also don't do crossfit, and hate burpees.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
How is going for a walk at night better than Crossfit?

Have you ever been inside a crossfit gym? Walk inside, and look at the population in there, fitter and healthier than 98% of the population, and 95% of normal gyms. Have you seen the type of stupid s**t that goes on in your average gym?

Is it perfect? No, but neither is bodybuilding, powerlifting, running, team sports etc that Aeglos pointed out have the same injury rates at crossfit.

Go down to your average amateur footy club/basketball team, do most of those guys/girls do the required athletic preparation to play the sport? Hell no, and injury rates are pretty high in it. But I don't see you having a crack at footy or basketball.

I also don't do crossfit, and hate burpees.
The culture that exists within the confines of a ‘box’ for the most part does not follow some of the prerequisites for what I’d consider adequate strength and conditioning training. Getting the right exercise program in place with a focus on;
-injury prevention
-program specification
-Prehab
-strength & conditioning

The issue with CrossFit is the propensity for risk under ‘professional’ conditions to the ‘average’ member of the population. Yes every exercise type carries risk, I’ve stated that already, but the issue with CrossFit is the heightened levels of risk without program specification and the conditions in which people are trained.

Of course every level of sport has risks. Football and basketball for the most part has volunteers engaged to assist in running the sports with the odd pro here and there employed to enhance the skill sets. You’re paying professional trainers at CrossFit, a hell of a lot, to deliver programs. If you’re paying that money then you’d expect high levels of strength and conditioning programming that reflects the points I listed above.

The most ridiculous concept is a WOD - a whole bunch of strength exercises used to condition interceded with direct HIIT or cardiovascular activity. The issue is ‘fatigue repeat fatigue’. This is for the novice and the experienced athlete. Those conditions only enhance and facilitate injury chance.

I am not saying personal trainers are any better, they’re not, some charge $100 an hour and have a qualification from some online provider. It’s a joke. I saw a PT put his client on a wobble board the other day, with 80kg of weight. The result was close to catastrophic. He couldn’t even do a squat let alone hold his balance. Apparently using a wobble board is a form of ‘progression’ I overheard the trainer say.

Unfortunately CrossFit doesn’t always follow adequate training principles. So maybe instead of jumping in with the mass opinion, why don’t you actually read my posts and take into account my qualifications supersede 95% of industry ‘professionals’ out there.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
The issue with CrossFit is the propensity for risk under ‘professional’ conditions to the ‘average’ member of the population. Yes every exercise type carries risk, I’ve stated that already, but the issue with CrossFit is the heightened levels of risk without program specification and the conditions in which people are trained.

You keep saying this, yet statistically you’re wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Masters comp in Rockhampton tomorrow. 5 workouts in one day.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
2nd in my age group.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Was it a big turnout raskolnikov? Any debilitating injuries from poor programming?

Would have been a couple of hundred all up, ten in my divisions. No injuries that I know of. I am a bit stiff and sore today though.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
The CrossFit Open started yesterday. It is a five week online comp. You complete the workouts at your gym, with your reps counted by someone who has completed a judge's course. You then put your score online and see yourself ranked against others in your age group around the world. You have a week after the announcement to complete the workout. This is the initial stage to the CrossFit Games. The top competitors get invited to the regionals.

The first workout announced yesterday is an AMRAP (as many rounds/reps as possible).

Workout 19.1

Complete as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:
19 wall-ball shots
19-cal. row

Men throw 20-lb. ball to 10-ft. target

I will be doing it on Monday afternoon. As a short guy probably my worst nightmare for an opening workout. :sweat:

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
The CrossFit Open started yesterday. It is a five week online comp. You complete the workouts at your gym, with your reps counted by someone who has completed a judge's course. You then put your score online and see yourself ranked against others in your age group around the world. You have a week after the announcement to complete the workout. This is the initial stage to the CrossFit Games. The top competitors get invited to the regionals.

The first workout announced yesterday is an AMRAP (as many rounds/reps as possible).

Workout 19.1

Complete as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:
19 wall-ball shots
19-cal. row

Men throw 20-lb. ball to 10-ft. target

I will be doing it on Monday afternoon. As a short guy probably my worst nightmare for an opening workout. :sweat:

Not gonna do what that bloke did and loop one round on his video submission lol?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Not gonna do what that bloke did and loop one round on his video submission lol?

Complete idiot. Did he think he wouldn't get found out at regionals?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
If I can comfortably snatch 80kg when working through my strength cycles, I don't really understand the argument that performing a 40kg snatch under fatigue is dangerous. Likewise any other movement. If the workouts are scaled appropriately, then CrossFit poses no more risk than any other sport.

Interestingly, I know a significant amount of physios that do CrossFit. Make of that what you will.

Personally, I've never been fitter or stronger in my life. The community aspect is second to none (i prefer it over football clubs, for example, as it's a much wider demographic). How is it that a group of people who come together and encourage each other through a workout seen as a negative thing? Absolutely baffles me.

Most of the CrossFit hate I see is from personal trainers who have lost all their clients to the local box. CrossFit is doing plenty right. Sorrynotsorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back