Injury Crouch comeback stalled

Remove this Banner Ad

RePete

Club Legend
Jan 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow, 49 years old and I've never thought of this. Amazi...wait, no, I was right the first time. There's these nifty inventions called curtains and blinds. Will transform your glare-filled life.

You can watch TV with the blinds/curtains/window open if you have the TV in front of the window. I know, I know new ideas and the old generation don't mix.

Especially considering it looks like there are no curtains or blinds... anywhere else in the room would suffer from the sunlight at some stage of the day.

I deliberately built an entertainment room downstairs so I can watch movies in the dark.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bickley gave an update on the surgery, he said the surgery he got makes the injury heal faster and better, it doesn't lengthen the time out. He said if it heals naturally the injury has an 80% chance of healing as good as before, with this surgery it has a 95% chance.
if only I was 100% confident that those percentages aren't inflated.

geeze I hope you get better Crouchy mate, could have torn it up this year.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can watch TV with the blinds/curtains/window open if you have the TV in front of the window. I know, I know new ideas and the old generation don't mix.

not if you don't want to need glasses by the time your 30. Our eyes evolved in a world with one sun, one light source. When you put a light or window behind a TV it creates 2 light sources in the same direction at different depths, which makes it harder for your eyes to focus, causing them to strain, which can cause damage over time.

RePete

Club Legend
Jan 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
not if you don't want to need glasses by the time your 30. Our eyes evolved in a world with one sun, one light source. When you put a light or window behind a TV it creates 2 light sources in the same direction at different depths, which makes it harder for your eyes to focus, causing them to strain, which can cause damage over time.

If your TV is large enough, and if your window is not in direct sunlight most of the day, you will be fine. I can't say I have had ever suffered eye strain from watching my current TV placed infront of a window.

Also this conversation is ******* stupid. Just use common sense for your situation, but don't rule out either option.

CIDA

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I heard a rumour that he could be finished - obviously not giving any credibility to it but the person I heard it from mentioned that it was the same injury that ended Yao Ming's career.

Get well soon Brad! I seriously miss this guy in our team so much!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thankfully Crouch isn't carrying ~120-140KG like Ming would have been - once big players get feet injuries they're usually screwed.

Said it previously, but it's the same injury a few in the NBA have struggled with. Brook Lopez has had 3-4 years worth of foot problems since he broke his fifth metatarsal (I believe that's the injury Crouch had). Don't think all his problems since have been the fifth metatarsal but I dare say they were related to that. It wasn't until this year that he's had a good run without any major foot problems. Kevin Durant is another that had the same problem, came back earlier than he should have, didn't last long before he complained of foot pains and has had to have more surgery on it and missed the rest of the season. You've then got Pau Gasol who has the same problem but came back and hasn't had any issues since.

So I don't buy into the rumour that he's finished as I doubt anyone would have any idea yet or not. Hopefully this time when his foot is healed he's able to get out there pain free. Still unsure whether whatever they did to Crouch (think they insert a screw which might have been rubbing up against something else) resulted in further pain or he came back too quickly when he returned a couple of months ago.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thankfully Crouch isn't carrying ~120-140KG like Ming would have been - once big players get feet injuries they're usually screwed.

Said it previously, but it's the same injury a few in the NBA have struggled with. Brook Lopez has had 3-4 years worth of foot problems since he broke his fifth metatarsal (I believe that's the injury Crouch had). Don't think all his problems since have been the fifth metatarsal but I dare say they were related to that. It wasn't until this year that he's had a good run without any major foot problems. Kevin Durant is another that had the same problem, came back earlier than he should have, didn't last long before he complained of foot pains and has had to have more surgery on it and missed the rest of the season. You've then got Pau Gasol who has the same problem but came back and hasn't had any issues since.

So I don't buy into the rumour that he's finished as I doubt anyone would have any idea yet or not. Hopefully this time when his foot is healed he's able to get out there pain free. Still unsure whether whatever they did to Crouch (think they insert a screw which might have been rubbing up against something else) resulted in further pain or he came back too quickly when he returned a couple of months ago.

Seems to be a bigger issue in Basketball than AFL though, given he isn't as big as those blokes and doesn't spend so much time running on a hard surface, he probably has a better chance. Hopefully there is no pre-season training at Thebarton oval this pre-season or ever again.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

Zydrunas Ilgauskas (played for the Cleveland Cavaliers between 96-20was another one with similar foot problems. Think he missed 2 of his first 3 years of basketball with the same foot injury and then played another 10 years without it being a problem again. They can be tricky ones to deal with.

Troy87

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did anyone hear on triple m this morning when Roo was talking about Essendon's appointment of Matthew Egan as interim head coach and when referring to his foot injury that ended his career, he made a reference to the same injury as Polec and Crouchy? I thought the club had suggested the foot injury to Crouch was not similar to Egan?

Did anyone else catch this and have any thoughts on it?

Jan 7, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC
Egan, Croad, Trengove, Polec etc. all had/have issues with the navicular bone (if I am not mistaken), which is not the same issue Crouch has. Foot issues are never a good thing though, so really hope Brad can put these injuries behind him and get back on the park.

FWIW, I know that Jared Polec is worried that he may never get back to where he was/w

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Zydrunas Ilgauskas (played for the Cleveland Cavaliers between 96-20was another one with similar foot problems. Think he missed 2 of his first 3 years of basketball with the same foot injury and then played another 10 years without it being a problem again. They can be tricky ones to deal with.
Did you just fall asleep on your keyboard? What a name!

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did anyone hear on triple m this morning when Roo was talking about Essendon's appointment of Matthew Egan as interim head coach and when referring to his foot injury that ended his career, he made a reference to the same injury as Polec and Crouchy? I thought the club had suggested the foot injury to Crouch was not similar to Egan?

Did anyone else catch this and have any thoughts on it?

As has already been said Crouch doesn't have the same injury that those others had. Was just a discussion of foot injuries in general.

douglyzia

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I heard a rumour that he could be finished - obviously not giving any credibility to it but the person I heard it from mentioned that it was the same injury that ended Yao Ming's career.

Brad isn't a 7'6" freak who has to constantly jump and down against other monsters contesting for rebounds near the rim.

Jimmystephenson

Debutant
Jan 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brad isn't a 7'6" freak who has to constantly jump and down against other monsters contesting for rebounds near the rim.

While this is true, i think it's sometimes understated how much stress booting a footy can place on a structurally unsound foot.

I have had foot troubles all my life, and if I haven't kicked a footy around for a while my feet are generally very sore the following day (as well as the hammies :D)

The navicular is a bitch of an injury and I really hope Crouch's injury is anywhere else in the foot.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
While this is true, i think it's sometimes understated how much stress booting a footy can place on a structurally unsound foot.

I have had foot troubles all my life, and if I haven't kicked a footy around for a while my feet are generally very sore the following day (as well as the hammies :D)

The navicular is a bitch of an injury and I really hope Crouch's injury is anywhere else in the foot.

The great thing is he has no pressure to try and come back this season like before where he would have consistently been working it throughout the season to come back. He can now go away, stay off his feet (stress activity wise) and just let it heal naturally. You would think that the club may simply state, do no running until late September (that would be a solid 3 months off from his failed comeback) then they can ease him into training and hopefully by January he has resumed full training.

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Once again. It's not the navicular.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I just changed my phone's lock screen from Brad's celebration during our Showdown win in 2014.

Hopefully that means the injury curse is lifted (if Eddie has a down game this week the jinx is definitely real)
Hmm good point. I have that pic as my desktop on home PC. Probably should change that.

I also made mention of Dixon equalling his career high games in a season last weekend in a footy related game email, he got injured.

Not to mention naming my cat Taylor prior to Tex's knee, and dog Kurt before he left. Also have another dog (she is black and white) named Daisy. Dale Thomas has not been the same since.

The Geoffa curse is real.

Back