Toast Crouch joins Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew Crouch was a great contested ball winner but I was pleasantly surprised after seeing highlights of his tackling, we lacked a bit of mongrel maybe we now have one.

there’s an old saying: “you mess with the bull, you get the horns”

Lethlean has the biggest horns going around. Why do you think we call him Satan? Kelly never had a chance.

cheers for the well wishes.
JKUX.gif

This Brad Crouch recruiting heist is one of the best pick ups we have made in many years - being able to pick up another fairest and best player from another team in his prime and for a salary which is far lower than what I expected is amazing.
People don't realize how good Crouch is , getting another contested ball winner is going to send us to the next level and bring many other players into the game.
At the Crows he was not noticed as much due to his brother and Sloane all playing a simular role , at the Saints we don't really have the ball magnet that gets his own ball and now having Steele , Jones , Ross , Hunter Clark , Gresham , Hannerbery our depth in the midfield is strong.

Lethers really did Crows through the Right of Reply in Restricted Free Agency. What I mean by that is that the power throughout the process falls to all parties

1. Applicant (Saints) - sets the terms
2. Respondent (Crows) - chooses whether to accept or match those terms (3 days)
3. Player (Crouch) - chooses whether to accept the Respondents terms or not (7 days) if the Respondent matches

Taking compensation out of all of this for a second, the above outlines what RFA is all about, either choosing to accept or match the terms to keep the player.

Crows never wanted the process to get to Step 3, as there was a risk that Crouch could (in the fullness of time being 7 days) could ultimately join the Crows on those terms, which the club had never accepted throughout the year.

This is different to the Cats / Giants / Cameron scenario because the Giants always wanted to keep him, and with the loss of Williams, Corr, Caldwell, had the means to do so.

This risk, weighed up against the best case scenario of potentially a 6 pick upgrade, didn't match up and wasn't a risk worth taking.

Lethers played them like a fiddle.

Also I think it gives a blueprint for dealing with our RFA in future (Billings, Ross). Have a deal in front of them, make them feel wanted, because then there is a basis to which you can argue to match their terms or (alternatively) these contracts give a framework for the other team to stump up more $$$ knowing it's more than we were proposing, and therefore being a) unlikely to match, but more importantly b) getting at least better compensation as a result.

EDIT: Ricciuto effectively said the above as much on Radio (Triple M Adelaide) this morning - there was a risk Adelaide would be stuck with Crouch for 5 years

Last edited:

Most important thing I noticed is that he is a goal kicking mid. If he can stay away from trouble then we have a good player on our hands. Good on Saints for keeping guaranteed wage low and putting in triggers so he has the motivation to perform if he needs the extra money.

Going to be a bit scary for opponents when Steele/Crouch/Billings/Gresh all have the potential to swing forward and grab those unpredictable goals that they're capable of. Factor in that Clark and Zones can rotate in-and-out of the backline and you're talking a versatile unit. If we can develop Bytel/Byrnes, keep Long on the field through better technique, and see further growth in the King/Coffield/Paton type players, it's going to be a fun decade ...

Best part ... Ratten will know EXACTLY how to use him to get the best out of him ... I don't think it's a coincidence that Steele came 3rd in the Brownlow, and multiple players turned in their best seasons in 2020.

That's a big reason why I think it would be a shame to lose Dunstan.
I've said from day 1 that I think he's one who would thrive under Ratts. A shame he never really got a run at it this year.

ICYMI - good interview with Crouch's manager.

Some key points:

• Several clubs interested in Brad but Saints' offer was the best overall.
  • Just about all clubs enquired about Brad. Five clubs were front runners at the end of the season. Interest was 'overwhelming'.
  • No one wanted to pull-out after the drugs, but a lot of extra phone calls to manager and Brad re his character etc.
  • Not about the money or the term - what is his best fit in a team?
  • Ratten spoke to him several times and helped seal the deal
  • Relieved Crows didn't match
  • Discussions with Crows for over 2 years about a 5-year deal but Crows not keen
  • If they had matched it would have been hard but it was ultimately inevitable that Brad would leave and likely get to the Saints
  • Brad's body has turned the corner - only a minor issue this year. Has had a number of treatment/surgeries in recent years to get it right.
  • Brad and Matt very close but both are professionals. Family is in Ballarat so being closer to the rest of the family is good for Brad.

Daniher- 3 years guaranteed at $775k

Crouch- 4 years guaranteed at $600k

How is that similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
\\accroding to other reports, its $500 for 4 years low trigger for a 5th

Crouch is a very very good player when on. Aggressive contested ball and clearance player, and lays some hard tackles. Also an absolute ball magnet like his brother. He used to have an explosive first step but that has disappeared over time due to injuries.

I think you’ll enjoy watching him play!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were seriously considering that, we would have put forward our free agent offer after trade week had begun (to explore a different team taking Dunstan, it's not a side deal if say Carlton take him). Timing doesn't quite seem right for that to be true.

So we were going to trade Dunstan so we could afford to pay Crouch more? Not sure what the issue with that specifically would be.

Clubs might not be happy with side deals - i.e. Adelaide take the compo then we give then Dunstan for pick 60 - but those types of things happen all the time so I cant see why the AFL would have a problem with it.

In the past decade only ten players have averaged 30 disposals, 5 clearances and 5 tackles in a single season.

Brad Crouch is one of them.

(H/T Saints TV).

Crouch is a very very good player when on. Aggressive contested ball and clearance player, and lays some hard tackles. Also an absolute ball magnet like his brother. He used to have an explosive first step but that has disappeared over time due to injuries.

I think you’ll enjoy watching him play!
Luke Ball couldn't kick a ball over a jam tin when he left the Saints, then casually slots goals from 40 for the Pies. Amazing what moving to a new club can do sometimes. Hopefully we see that explosive first step from Brad that eluded Nathan Freeman so.

Lethers really did Crows through the Right of Reply in Restricted Free Agency. What I mean by that is that the power throughout the process falls to all parties

1. Applicant (Saints) - sets the terms
2. Respondent (Crows) - chooses whether to accept or match those terms (3 days)
3. Player (Crouch) - chooses whether to accept the Respondents terms or not (7 days) if the Respondent matches

Taking compensation out of all of this for a second, the above outlines what RFA is all about, either choosing to accept or match the terms to keep the player.

Crows never wanted the process to get to Step 3, as there was a risk that Crouch could (in the fullness of time being 7 days) could ultimately join the Crows on those terms, which the club had never accepted throughout the year.

This is different to the Cats / Giants / Cameron scenario because the Giants always wanted to keep him, and with the loss of Williams, Corr, Caldwell, had the means to do so.

This risk, weighed up against the best case scenario of potentially a 6 pick upgrade, didn't match up and wasn't a risk worth taking.

Lethers played them like a fiddle.

Also I think it gives a blueprint for dealing with our RFA in future (Billings, Ross). Have a deal in front of them, make them feel wanted, because then there is a basis to which you can argue to match their terms or (alternatively) these contracts give a framework for the other team to stump up more $$$ knowing it's more than we were proposing, and therefore being a) unlikely to match, but more importantly b) getting at least better compensation as a result.

EDIT: Ricciuto effectively said the above as much on Radio (Triple M Adelaide) this morning - there was a risk Adelaide would be stuck with Crouch for 5 years
Ricciuto is so unprofessional it’s hilarious, I’d hate for him to be a board member at my club.

Luke Ball couldn't kick a ball over a jam tin when he left the Saints, then casually slots goals from 40 for the Pies. Amazing what moving to a new club can do sometimes. Hopefully we see that explosive first step from Brad that eluded Nathan Freeman so.

Still not convinced the Pies didn't have "good medicine " that year.

Getting a player like Crouch for nothing and on a modest contract is unbelievable. He is EXACTLY what we need. Has the potential to transform our midfield.

Tackles. Gets it (a lot). Ballarat boy. Love this signing so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back