News Crouch & Stengle Caught with Illicit Substance

Remove this Banner Ad

So Crouch bought the coke out in the open, in a city street, seen by police?
Maybe it actually was his first time...
The Advertiser: " SA Police say officers monitoring live CCTV in the CBD led to the dramatic drug bust involving Crows stars Brad Crouch and Tyson Stengle "

Perhaps we should have drug testing before people can post on BigFooty. There seems to be many of you who have detailed knowledge of drug taking, purchasing and trading and also an innate ability to recognise it in others. Perhaps some of the opinions expressed on this platform are done under the influence of these substances.

There is also an unhealthy arrogance about those who write with these understandings as if, somehow, the rest of us will be impressed with this knowledge.

The use of illicit drugs is the single major cause of illegal activity in this state and a huge drain on the physical and mental health of our society. It preoccupies the police, it fills our courts and our hospitals and it breaks hearts, homes and families.

This is a serious matter, not some bravado-influenced side behavior tolerated in a cool society.

Make a culture statement - Get rid of them both.

I might post sometimes after consuming copious amounts of red wine.

Drugs - not in your life. Seen coworkers on drugs, not a good look and reliability? Nope.

Drugs may be rampant but that doesn’t make it acceptable.

Last edited:
So does driving cars, we should ban that. You only see those effected badly by drugs because that's all the media report on. What you don't see is the majority of drug users that live out normal lives.

So drug users now have normal lives and there's plenty of them? what a load of fuqing baloney.

Sprout this sh#t somewhere else.

My brother in law is a police officer based in Hindley Street and wont say details but said it was very minor and more a storm in a teacup and thinks the matter in the case was no ownership so both went down.

Im blaming Stengel :mad:

My brother in law is a police officer based in Hindley Street and wont say details but said it was very minor and more a storm in a teacup and thinks the matter in the case was no ownership so both went down.

Im blaming Stengel :mad:

what about the dealer ??? Did he get done as well, far bigger fish

Others have expressed similar "doesn't matter" thoughts. How about when it's added to drink-driving an unregistered vehicle during the season?
In April he blew 0.125 and Kelly said of him " Tyson is deeply remorseful and embarrassed by his actions ", at the time. Kinda looks like not much remorseful or embarrassed, now that he's allegedly been busted with cocaine:
(https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...aught-with-illicit-drugs-20200928-p56009.html)
Not his first 'mistake', from which he appears to have learned nothing in terms of responsibilty/accountability.
It's starting to look like a pattern of irresponsible (let alone illegal) behaviour that violates Club rules as well as societal rules.

Ok, we'll ignore the driving part because its come out they weren't driving. Personal development there from Stengle.

To me, this offense doesn't matter because both have only been cautioned, which makes this beat-up is nothing more than a witch-hunt. Is it irresponsible? Sure. Do I care? No because it's the off-season and there is no genuine impact for us to deal with (outside of what we've created ourselves by announcing it to the world), seeing we don't lose any sponsorships for this. Much like going on a four day bender with alcohol is irresponsible but providing they're fit and ready to go day one of preseason, I don't care about that either.

To me, the line is PEDs, they cost the club sponsorships, or they were looking at jail time from their actions in the off-season. All for the tighter line once pre-season starts because they're being paid to do a job for those months.

As for Crouch, who is 5 years older than Stengle, it smacks of giving the AFC the finger (it's off-season, he has no contract, Crows can gagf) and he has no problem taking down a mate with him. I'll bet his manager is tearing his hair out. It diminishes his trade value, as many have suggested.

To be honest, I don't know what to do with/about both of them.
I don't want their careers to be ruined. I don't want them to get off scot-free.

Before you or any other poster express outrage at the above, yes, I was 21 (and later 26 as well), young and dumb, and made bad decisions/choices as well. No doubt most of us have. I am not on a high horse. It's now about how the Club responds:
--- to demonstrate Club culture to the rest of the playing group wrt to what will/will not be tolerated, and
--- for the benefit and future character-growth of Stengle in particular,
but I would say this.
if Stengle is busted again, a third strike, I'd insist on some kind of rehab program, in fact add it to his contract. If he refused, de-list.
(Please read this also, based on an " 87-page report by retired Victorian Supreme Court judge William Gillard in 2008, but never released by the AFL " and was part of the WCE failing to respond appropriately " based on "success, arrogance (and) a belief that what the players did in their own time was their own business" ".
)

It probably smacks more of a person not being able to handle the stress of the situation he's found himself in, or trying to make the most of the period where he doesn't have to be on the straight and narrow. I can't begrudge any of that, because the lifestyle of an AFL footballer would be horrible. It certainly won't diminish any trade value, because this is the first time Brad has copped any negative press and its as minor as minor gets. Minor to the point it'll be forgotten about in a week. Just unfortunate he was stupid enough to go somewhere out in the open and early in the morning for it.

I do like the rehab program idea. Couple with a bit of "drug related community service" seems a rather perfect "seen to be doing something" solution and providing we don't tact on a suspension (unless the AFL does, in which case, we just suspend them for as long as they are), it doesn't cut our own nose off to spite our face. Seems a good middle ground for what is effectively less than being caught for jaywalking.

I do disagree with that report because clubs would be relatively powerless in that situation, you certainly can't stop your players from doing certain things, or talking to certain people. Outside of having a policy available and some programs they're partnered with, which that article seemed directed at as West Coast failed in that regard seeing it accused their CEO of being woefully under-prepared, and Woosha naive.

Perhaps we should have drug testing before people can post on BigFooty. There seems to be many of you who have detailed knowledge of drug taking, purchasing and trading and also an innate ability to recognise it in others. Perhaps some of the opinions expressed on this platform are done under the influence of these substances.

There is also an unhealthy arrogance about those who write with these understandings as if, somehow, the rest of us will be impressed with this knowledge.

The use of illicit drugs is the single major cause of illegal activity in this state and a huge drain on the physical and mental health of our society. It preoccupies the police, it fills our courts and our hospitals and it breaks hearts, homes and families.

This is a serious matter, not some bravado-influenced side behavior tolerated in a cool society.

Make a culture statement - Get rid of them both.

I agree with your feelings on the drain that illegal drug use places on our society.

The most obvious solution to this is to address the pointless criminality of soft drugs.

Intoxicants can be used in ways that aren't overly damaging to the individual or the wider community.

Frankly, I would rather two young men bought some cocaine, jumped in a cab and had it at home than I would someone drink a strong cough medicine and drive around.

Yeah look I agree with the whole drugs are bad mkay but alcohol can't have a free pass. I wish no one had to abuse a substance of any kind to alter their mindstate. Alas here we are and we have to deal with it.

Humans have been altering their minds for tens of thousands of years with different substances. Early humans were doing it - it's fun and in our nature.

So drug users now have normal lives and there's plenty of them? what a load of fuqing baloney.

Is this serious? The vast majority of people who use recreational drugs do so while living an absolutely normal life.

You'd think the word "recreational" would be a big hint about that. It's not like Reefer Madness where your life just falls apart.

Bury your head in the sand. Got kids? I bet my house they have at least one teacher that goes home and has a puff on a joint now and then.

You remind me of a friend who insisted her daughter, who's good friends with my daughter, would never touch drugs. I told her she was naive. And yep, she's now taking the odd pill when she goes out. She's still passing uni, holds a good part time job and plays top level sport.

Do you work in the city? If you don't think there are people walking past you in suits and powder in their pockets then you really are stupid.

Not everyone that take drugs is a stupid junkie. Alcohol, is a drug and like illegal drugs, some people can handle it, others can't. Illicit drugs are no different, some people can handle it, others cant.

Ever been to WOMAD? Look at the people puffing on a joint. They are everyday normal people, holding down normal jobs. If you saw them in a different environment you'd have no idea they liked pot.

I know CEO's, cops, teachers and even a librarian that take drugs. Believe what you want, but I guarantee you that you are wrong.

Yeah, that's a take.

As per a 2019 report on drugs and alcohol usage in Australia (link: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/ill...sehold-survey-2019/contents/table-of-contents ), it was found that 16.9% of people use an illicit drug at least once a year. In laymans terms that's about 4.09 million people (at our current population). Of this, 1.14 million having usage which could be considered excessive (i.e. once a week for most as the cutoff, except ice which was once a month). It's also worth noting that the methodology for this was a survey, so it's quite likely an underestimation of at least 'semi-regular' usage, as you cannot control people lying and drug use can be a sensitive topic.

So, yeah. Most people who use with any level of regularity with drug use live normal lives. Like how most people who drink alcohol have normal lives seeing only 1/10 are considered dependant on it (noting that dependence for alcohol has a stricter definition then the closest things for drugs).

Agree it's more dangerous, but 'a little bit of Coke' is worse than being caught with a beer in hand. In fact, only one is illegal.

In this case, it's proved to be about the same. Nothing compared to a conversation with a police officer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that's a take.

As per a 2019 report on drugs and alcohol usage in Australia, it was found that 16.9% of people use an illicit drug at least once a year. In laymans terms that's about 3.4 million people. Of this, 1.14 million having usage which could be considered excessive (i.e. once a week for most as the cutoff, except ice which was once a month). It's also worth noting that the methodology for this was a survey, so it's quite likely an underestimation of at least 'semi-regular' usage, as you cannot control people lying and drug use can be a sensitive topic.

So, yeah. Most people who use with any level of regularity with drug use live normal lives. Like how most people who drink alcohol have normal lives seeing only 1/10 are considered dependant on it (noting that dependence for alcohol has a stricter definition then the closest things for drugs).
Interesting stats, and you mention 1/10 are dependant on alcohol. However, 1 in 3 are dependant on drugs...it's a very slippery slope.

I feel all clubs would know that around 50% of their list will ingest some form of illegal substance this offseason especially after the year we have had. Where these two idiots went wrong is that they should have used an intermediary to buy it for them and consumed it in the privacy of their own home. You don't travel with drugs on your person. Made them look like two idiots which is likely more damaging to Brad's contract negotiations than the drug use. Although I do feel they were unlucky and the police were obviously tipped off by some arsehole looking to damage his reputation. I don't condone drugs but I'm sure most dabbled with them in their early to mid twenties and came to the realisation that the high is an illusion and doesn't make the reality of your situation disappear. The latest research is showing that some psychedelics can have beneficial outcomes for individuals dealing with past issues where their may be a blockage but the majority of drugs wreck people's lives. People like Kane Cornes trying to stick the boot in and bringing up Brad shopping himself on the market is totally hypocritical from that twit. Of course all players will try and maximise their earning potential. This coming from the guy that quit his club half way through the season and quit the fire brigade after it was all too hard. He really should shut his mouth.

Bury your head in the sand. Got kids? I bet my house they have at least one teacher that goes home and has a puff on a joint now and then.

You remind me of a friend who insisted her daughter, who's good friends with my daughter, would never touch drugs. I told her she was naive. And yep, she's now taking the odd pill when she goes out. She's still passing uni, holds a good part time job and plays top level sport.

Do you work in the city? If you don't think there are people walking past you in suits and powder in their pockets then you really are stupid.

Not everyone that take drugs is a stupid junkie. Alcohol, is a drug and like illegal drugs, some people can handle it, others can't. Illicit drugs are no different, some people can handle it, others cant.

Ever been to WOMAD? Look at the people puffing on a joint. They are everyday normal people, holding down normal jobs. If you saw them in a different environment you'd have no idea they liked pot.

I know CEO's, cops, teachers and even a librarian that take drugs. Believe what you want, but I guarantee you that you are wrong.
Half the people there definitely aren’t normal

The Advertiser: " SA Police say officers monitoring live CCTV in the CBD led to the dramatic drug bust involving Crows stars Brad Crouch and Tyson Stengle "
ROFL...really?
Next it will be "Disgruntled Crow player rings SA Police monitoring live CCTV in the CBD and dobs in 'mates'

Interesting stats, and you mention 1/10 are dependant on alcohol. However, 1 in 3 are dependant on drugs...it's a very slippery slope.

I wouldn't call the drug user numbers 'dependent' at that frequency of usage (though, I'll use excessive, seeing it was the highest frequency measured), seeing that would include anyone who uses it regularly in a social setting, and with drugs like cocaine, cannabis, hallucinogenics and MDMA, it's likely that is going to inflate it rather significantly (especially cannabis seeing it makes up the large majority of illicit drug usage). It's probably better to see it as a snapshot of how prevalent usage is with drugs in society (which seems the intention of the report)

Alcohol had a very robust definition of dependence as well, seeing the dependency result is from a separate test and isn't completely linked to raw usage stats (and pick up a good portion high-end binge drinkers as well). I doubt we'll get that publically available with drugs until legalisation occurs, though considering alcohol addictiveness rating (this is just using the dependence potential table on wikipedia) is around a similar mark to every drug listed (outside of heroin which is in its own stratosphere of being addicting), you could probably just assume similar rates. With alcohol it is 34.9% of people will use alcohol weekly, whereas 5.4% use daily (noting they're separate on the table, so 40.3% of people consume at least once a week), and factors like employment, time, type of events etc would all inevitably drive down usage, which drugs would follow a similar pattern.

Is this serious? The vast majority of people who use recreational drugs do so while living an absolutely normal life.

You'd think the word "recreational" would be a big hint about that. It's not like Reefer Madness where your life just falls apart.

He/she made reference to "drug users". In my world drug users are those that frequently take drugs as a habit not those that "try" or "have had" drugs infrequently.......my response wad based on this interpretation of a drug user.

Yeah, that's a take.

As per a 2019 report on drugs and alcohol usage in Australia (link: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/ill...sehold-survey-2019/contents/table-of-contents ), it was found that 16.9% of people use an illicit drug at least once a year. In laymans terms that's about 4.09 million people (at our current population). Of this, 1.14 million having usage which could be considered excessive (i.e. once a week for most as the cutoff, except ice which was once a month). It's also worth noting that the methodology for this was a survey, so it's quite likely an underestimation of at least 'semi-regular' usage, as you cannot control people lying and drug use can be a sensitive topic.

In this case, it's proved to be about the same. Nothing compared to a conversation with a police officer.

You've provided stats, that's it.

This thing is the biggest storm in a tea cup... I have enjoyed reading the prim and proper responders saying that drugs are evil and the stigma is rife!

I know a few millionaires and multi millionaires, CEOs, business people Executive types all recreationally using. It’s a social thing. It happens... fuddy Duddys need to get over it.

kids are well aware and well informed with what’s out there too. Footy players are no dofferent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back