Strategy Crouches v Tigers, Hidden Sloane - Battle of the GF Mids

Remove this Banner Ad

The big question for me is whether the Tiges line up Sloane. They did it to Shiel - both Cotchin & Astbury had a crack. Maybe it was premeditated? Would hate to see one of our mids taken out before QT.
Well if they do, they'd better make sure they do it properly. Geelong tried that at Adelaide oval late in the season (the week after Rory got concussed) and all it did was fire us up even more. An onslaught ensued with Sloane being BOG.

The big question for me is whether the Tiges line up Sloane. They did it to Shiel - both Cotchin & Astbury had a crack. Maybe it was premeditated? Would hate to see one of our mids taken out before QT.
Sloane had 7 tackles to half time versus 9 for the whole tiger team last time.
Just sayin':D

Just on this point. This is the major difference in us this season.

No longer are we a team of shrinking violets. It feels like we're more like a spring now - the more pressure you put on it, the stronger the recoil.
I think this point has been really understated. We keep saying "organic growth" and "improvements" in the midfield and the newer blokes, but I think the key is that we've toughened up as an entire unit. We can do the mongrel as good as any team right now, as well as absorbing the pressure and turning it to our advantage (particularly in the second half of this season).
Case examples (games where we had doubts coming into the game) :
- game after Bett's appendicitis in the 2nd Showdown -> blitzed Port by 84 points
- GWS QF game without Sloane (still recovering from appendicitis) and Smith injured within minutes of first quarter -> ran all over GWS

Sloane and the Crouch Bros are forming a trio of hardnuts with a nice blend of skills to complement one another. Douglas, Greenwood and Knight are dogged fighters too. None of them are afraid to do the push and shove.

Sliding doors

Miss out on Gibbs and Thommo is put into SANFL - Matt and Brad shine
Hampton and CEY go down opening for a long term stint for Greenwood
In hindsight, I reckon missing out on the Gibbs deal was a blessing in disguise. With Gibbs in, there's a chance Matt and Brad's development might have been hindered (in terms of more reliance on a star in Gibbs, as opposed to trying to be their own stars). Also with Gibbs in, who's to say we would have guaranteed ourselves top spot in the minor round, or end up being in a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back