List Mgmt. Crows Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that he would get the same opportunities if he wasn't in an Academy but I can see why the AFL are doing it with indigenous players. As we continue to see, a few find it hard to adjust and leave the game despite emense talent. Getting them into clubs early may help them prepare.
We are just fortunate that the Milera's are a good family so we get a bonus as he is in our zone.
He looks like he will fill out more then Wayne going on both current body sizes

I hope he fills out in the^^^^^ direction.

Unfortunately our club is not really interested in expanding their contacts into rural SA - I work with Aboriginal kids and in a traditional Port part of SA, they {Port} are so much better at promoting their brand here and in surrounding districts. I wanted to take a group of young lads many related to current players to the AFC to give them an alternative view and choice I sent AFC numerous emails asking to visit and give the lads a tour etc I still have not received a reply {that was two years ago}. Late last year I emailed AFC regarding a Reconciliation SA trip to Kokoda for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students which we are attending asking for support yet again not even a reply, unfortunately as hard as it is Port are so much better , no doubt we will gain support and sponsorship from Port which is a bit sad.

You may just be contacting the wrong people, try going through the McLeod centre of excellence

Email: mcleodcoe@afc.com.au
Phone: (08) 8440 6698 or 8440 6659
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/McLeodCoE
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/McLeod_CoE
Twitter: https://twitter.com/McLeod_CoE

Do you work at a school? What would you like to see happen?

If
Yeah I rang them first and asked who to send it through to and was told they only reply to official emails - yep still waiting...

If Fages & Trigg can return emails to members that are upset about something why can't the club respond to this? For a club to be telling their members they are striving for elite standards across the board, this is a poor result by the AFC.

Do you work at a school? What would you like to see happen?

Yep I work at a school in a special program for Aboriginal students - to work on an incentive for them I suggested a trip to Adelaide depending on their attendance and achievement over a period of 2-3 school terms - I rang and emailed the club {the public relations officer} I received a reply some 12 months later saying training wasn't happening so little point. I rang the club in Nov/Dec 2016 informing them of our hope to attend the 2017 trip to PNG they informed me to send an "official" email - no reply. I know that if I email Port tomorrow I will gain an offer of support, I am not sooking but it hurts that the opposition is so much better in this district and it is hard to argue against, Port are here regularly and this is no longer their recruiting zone.

To answer your question I would like to see our club offer even half of the support/interest in our kids as our competition.

He's not eligible for any Academy system.
The article implies that he is
"A familiar name was amongst participants in the third Next Generation Academy Talent Squad session held at Adelaide Football Club on Tuesday.
Tyrone Milera – younger brother to Crows half-forward/wingman Wayne Milera Junior – was part of the group of 25 up-and-coming footballers taking part."

Yep I work at a school in a special program for Aboriginal students - to work on an incentive for them I suggested a trip to Adelaide depending on their attendance and achievement over a period of 2-3 school terms - I rang and emailed the club {the public relations officer} I received a reply some 12 months later saying training wasn't happening so little point. I rang the club in Nov/Dec 2016 informing them of our hope to attend the 2017 trip to PNG they informed me to send an "official" email - no reply. I know that if I email Port tomorrow I will gain an offer of support, I am not sooking but it hurts that the opposition is so much better in this district and it is hard to argue against, Port are here regularly and this is no longer their recruiting zone.

To answer your question I would like to see our club offer even half of the support/interest in our kids as our competition.

Might be cynical, and for what it is worth i have had similar dealing with the two AFL clubs. Ports Community programs Dept. are far and away better.
But I bet if it was a female program or something that would get them on the back page of the paper it wouldve happened 12 months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone watch the Next Generation Academy kids play on Friday 21st July before the Geelong game.
there were a couple of good kids running around. a good sign for the Crows.

I can back up a lot of this. I'm from the Eyre Peninsula and a lot of schools do camps down to Adelaide. Teachers organising the camps (more than 50% are crows supporters) typically say they don't bother with trying to contact the crows for a tour, because they don't seem interested and because port on the otherhand bend over backwards. I did a school tour of the power hq at alberton in 2015, the tour was conducted by Russell Ebert and there were players moving about and some training in the facility at the time we were there. We were allowed to stand and watch some of the indoor training drills for a while. Was galling for me.

I can back up a lot of this. I'm from the Eyre Peninsula and a lot of schools do camps down to Adelaide. Teachers organising the camps (more than 50% are crows supporters) typically say they don't bother with trying to contact the crows for a tour, because they don't seem interested and because port on the otherhand bend over backwards. I did a school tour of the power hq at alberton in 2015, the tour was conducted by Russell Ebert and there were players moving about and some training in the facility at the time we were there. We were allowed to stand and watch some of the indoor training drills for a while. Was galling for me.

I suggest emailing Fagan about these issues and see if a change starts to occur.

By the time we can draft him he would have played footy for about 7 or 8 years.

He will hardly be new to the game.

Isn't this set up a bit racist?

All well and good we may benefit from it, but the reality is he is no different to any Anglo or European background kid. Apart from the colour of his skin and the particular country he was born.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Y the time we can draft him he would have played footy for about 7 or 8 years.

All well and good we may benefit from it, but the reality is he is no different to any Anglo or European background kid. Apart from the colour of his skin and the particular country he was born.

I think the idea is to inspire more kids of similar backgrounds to play afl. Im not against that.

Y the time we can draft him he would have played footy for about 7 or 8 years.

If it were that simple we'd have heaps of players of Asian and African extraction being drafted already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back