Podcast Weekend Wrap Round 2 v Cats

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Hey guys, was listening to your Tuesday show and you talked about the Crows inability to go and get players and I was wondering what your teams thoughts were on why

Not in any order, but some musings of mine and ones I've taken from the broader Board discussion.

1. When we have done it, it's been a disaster for really big names. As you said for bargin players it is still hit and miss - is that a talent ID problem?
2. Our salary structure means we can't afford it
3. Following on from above, we don't trade bottom 8 players out frequently enough ( why leave the Crows when you'll go somewhere that doesn't pay more and you are getting games anyway) getting in cheaper draftees to fill those spots (David Mackay anyone )
4. Our recruiting has been so poor that we can't waste picks multiple picks on 1 player.
5. Because of our desire to have even pay structure As a club we aren't capable of having players with a sense of arrogance/entitlement which is reflected in the players we've lost (Lever, Charlie, McGovern )
6.We all laugh at the ridiculous wages Port paid (and Carlton who are the flip side of the discussion) for many of their recruits, but they are happy to lose from the bottom if it means getting more at the top.
7. We still pay players like Sloane wages they would have got at their peak due to loyalty ,rather than their output. I reckon that's why Talia hasn't gone around again , so maybe we are changing.

Anyway I'm sure you guys will look at these things more in the off season, just thought it was an interesting point to land on.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Hey guys, was listening to your Tuesday show and you talked about the Crows inability to go and get players and I was wondering what your teams thoughts were on why

Not in any order, but some musings of mine and ones I've taken from the broader Board discussion.

1. When we have done it, it's been a disaster for really big names. As you said for bargin players it is still hit and miss - is that a talent ID problem?
2. Our salary structure means we can't afford it
3. Following on from above, we don't trade bottom 8 players out frequently enough ( why leave the Crows when you'll go somewhere that doesn't pay more and you are getting games anyway) getting in cheaper draftees to fill those spots (David Mackay anyone )
4. Our recruiting has been so poor that we can't waste picks multiple picks on 1 player.
5. Because of our desire to have even pay structure As a club we aren't capable of having players with a sense of arrogance/entitlement which is reflected in the players we've lost (Lever, Charlie, McGovern )
6.We all laugh at the ridiculous wages Port paid (and Carlton who are the flip side of the discussion) for many of their recruits, but they are happy to lose from the bottom if it means getting more at the top.
7. We still pay players like Sloane wages they would have got at their peak due to loyalty ,rather than their output. I reckon that's why Talia hasn't gone around again , so maybe we are changing.

Anyway I'm sure you guys will look at these things more in the off season, just thought it was an interesting point to land on.
These are all interesting points and well worth a discussion. I do believe our pay structure is/has been flawed and have said for a while we need to tailor it to the reality that non SA players will generally take more to lure or keep. I wonder if we had offered Danger $1M x 2 whether he would have stayed? It may have been the difference between a flag and a camp.

Appreciate your thoughts, we will definitely discuss them. If you can get around a live show we have live audience participation so you can get on and share your opinions with us.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

This was one of the best interviews I've heard ....even from so-called professional interviewers

Knew when to come in and when to let Hamish talk .....excellent stuff

Got more from this than all the commercial media outlet interviews combined

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
This was one of the best interviews I've heard ....even from so-called professional interviewers

Knew when to come in and when to let Hamish talk .....excellent stuff

Got more from this than all the commercial media outlet interviews combined
Thanks Wayne, I think you've hit upon the value of secondary media platforms like us. Generally the environment is more relaxed which leads to a more conversational vibe that naturally encourages more openness. It's a good foil to the mainstream scripted format.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Go run your own podcast Bicks before tearing down fans having a go.
Maybe we'll do a comparison with Dave Mundy who had the same inside grunt role that Matt Crouch had eh?
Time On Ground : Mundy 81% vs Matt Crouch 66% no doubt due to Crouch's lack of match practice and conditioning.

Disposals : Matt Crouch 30 > Dave Mundy 23

Kicks : Matt Crouch 9 = Dave Mundy 9

Hb's : Matt Crouch 21 > Dave Mundy 14

Marks : Matt Crouch 3 > Dave Mundy 1

Tackles : Dave Mundy 5 > Matt Crouch 4

Goal Assists : Matt Crouch 1 > Dave Mundy 0

I50's : Matt Crouch 3 > Dave Mundy 1

Clearances : Dave Mundy 7 > Matt Crouch 6

Clangers : Dave Mundy 3 > Matt Crouch 4

R50's : Dave Mundy : 3 > Matt Crouch 1

Cont Poss's : Dave Mundy 15 > Matt Crouch 13

Uncont Poss's : Matt Crouch 17 > Dave Mundy 9