Opinion Crowd on Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

King Corey nails it.

I spent 30 minutes yesterday morning fiddling with different phones and apps to get the tickets to work. No problems at the gate but [swear filter] what an effort. And what possible benefit could there be to removing a simple plastic card worth stuff all?

The crowd was not great - I was busting to go after seeing 2 games in 2 years and win was expected (!) and thought others would be similar. Hard the pick the number but it was definitely <20k.
I’ve held onto our plastic membership cards and lanyards for years my wife occasionally threatens to throw them out so I move them somewhere different, little did we know they will become collectors items 😉

I was actually really looking forward to the game however when the news broke of all the WC players missing due to Covid etc it put a real dampener on the game. For me anyway. I wonder if others felt the same and chose not to go. You knew from the outset if we get the win it means very little given the circumstances. I went to the game, but for me personally, I lost the excitement for the game given the situation.
I understand your perspective but going to live AFL games for me is always about the immersive experience

It has not helped they are renovating the two function rooms so the premiership club and the arden lounge are no longer on the wing but are in opposite forward pockets. This spreads the crowd out some just go outside the box in the pocket others walk back around to wing
Yeah TAB closed to just as well I was looking to drop a ton on Roos by 10+ goals, phew 😅

I think the reality is we are coming off not just covid but a wooden spoon. Our first in a very long time. Our supporters have always been accustomed to defying the odds and being a chance of winning any game but for the first time in a long time we know where we are and that we will be down for a while.

I think this applies to all AFL clubs. This sport isn't like NBA where one trade or player can make the difference between being near bottom one year to winning it all the very next. A rebuild can take a good 5-6 years and winning only 7 or so times in the last 45 games, there's always going to be drop offs in crowd numbers and not everyone will be as patient as we would like. For us, it's been prolonged because a full rebuild should have started in 2016.

Once we start winning more again the excitement will come back as will those casual supporters.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried if we were a premiership contender having played in last year's Grand Final (WB), playing against another premiership contender with good support in Melbourne (Syd) in prime-time and only getting 24k to the game.

Instead, we're the reigning wooden-spooner who are totally out of contention, who played against the shell of a middle-order team on the slide with very little support in Melbourne in the graveyard early Sunday slot.

Crowds are down across the board. The AFL have to think fast to fix this one. Although, with theirs and the media's obsession with Thursday nights, I guess ratings points are more important than attendance figures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be more worried if we were a premiership contender having played in last year's Grand Final (WB), playing against another premiership contender with good support in Melbourne (Syd) in prime-time and only getting 24k to the game.

Instead, we're the reigning wooden-spooner who are totally out of contention, who played against the shell of a middle-order team on the slide with very little support in Melbourne in the graveyard early Sunday slot.

Crowds are down across the board. The AFL have to think fast to fix this one. Although, with theirs and the media's obsession with Thursday nights, I guess ratings points are more important than attendance figures.
Sadly you are quite on the money.

The game scheduling ATM is garbage. Nobody is particularly interested in going to the graveyard games on Sundays and who in Hell advises the AFL that games played on work and school nights are going to be well attended? Ratings be damned. Does the AFL really get any serious benefit out of supporters sitting at home watching TV or on Kayo. I suspect that it is just the two broadcast networks (One of them a pay network that sucks even more money out of the punters and don't even get me started on Kayo) who rake in the real cash. Okay, the AFL gets a big $1.3 billion deal over so many years from the networks to broadcast games, and that's a good windfall for them but they have huge overheads as we all understand. But do the AFL and in particular the teams really benefit when people are sitting at home and not providing bums on seats in stadiums? People at home are not buying merchandise, or food and drinks and not providing direct support to the host teams on game days. It just sucks the life out of the atmosphere of these vast quarter to half-filled stadiums. Further, people watching games at home aren't using public transport and they certainly aren't milling about gathering in bars or restaurants before games. So the city's struggling hospitality businesses suffer as well.

Channel 7 don't even have the decency to broadcast games being played on Saturday and Sunday afternoons (at least into regional Victoria) instead choosing to treat us to second rate VFL and AFLW games being played at either Box Hill or North Port Oval. If we're really lucky outside the AFLW season we get treated to re-runs of "Getaway". So of course I wonder (and I'm sure that I'm not alone) WTF are Channel 7 paying all of that money to the AFL for broadcast rights for? If we (the members and supporters) want to see those Sat/Sun afternoon games then our only choice is to sign up to either expensive Foxtel or $180 per-year for Kayo. Paying additional premiums to pay-to-view broadcasters is an insult to those supporters who've already spent bloody good money paying for membership packages or who get their memberships auto-renewed before the fixtures are announced. After the fixture release only to find that most of their Melbourne home games will be played at bullsh1t o'clock on a Sunday.

I have to admit that I am sick of being treated like an auto-teller (complete with my own money printing press) by the AFL and the broadcasters. I don't know what others think. Sadly I know that it's not going to change. Sometimes I do wonder if the AFL could actually make game scheduling worse and the broadcasters could dream a way to make it more expensive and less accessible that they would get their heads together and make it so.

Last edited:
The 7 game m'ship with reserved seating cost me close to $700 bucks this year, virtually the same as the last 2 years where we got to 3 games ( all in 2021 )

I did my my bit rd.1 and sat amongst the clouds at the 'G for my " free " away game. Last week with no trains did a 3 hour round trip by tram to watch.

Am seriously considering 2023 after nearly close to 60 years just getting a 3 game m'ship, pay the foxtel and sit in comfort at home. There's the fridge, toilet, brush me teeth and in bed 10 minutes after the final siren.

I have a five game membership (country membership) so I'm judicious about which games I attend. A little planning is involved because of travel etc. I thought of attending Sunday on a whim, looked at the app and barcodes involved but noticed the seats and rows of the linked people were not together. The whim disappeared - all too hard I thought so I watched on TV. Question: If I had of gone would we have had to sit apart or can you just select any general admission seats liked used to be the case?
Yeah putting seat locations on the general admission barcode adds to the confusion, but means nothing. You can sit anywhere in GA.

The 7 game m'ship with reserved seating cost me close to $700 bucks this year, virtually the same as the last 2 years where we got to 3 games ( all in 2021 )

I did my my bit rd.1 and sat amongst the clouds at the 'G for my " free " away game. Last week with no trains did a 3 hour round trip by tram to watch.

Am seriously considering 2023 after nearly close to 60 years just getting a 3 game m'ship, pay the foxtel and sit in comfort at home. There's the fridge, toilet, brush me teeth and in bed 10 minutes after the final siren.

You go to bed at 4pm 😧

Sadly you are quite on the money.

The game scheduling ATM is garbage. Nobody is particularly interested in going to the graveyard games on Sundays and who in Hell advises the AFL that games played on work and school nights are going to be well attended? Ratings be damned. Does the AFL really get any serious benefit out of supporters sitting at home watching TV or on Kayo. I suspect that it is just the two broadcast networks (One of them a pay network that sucks even more money out of the punters and don't even get me started on Kayo) who rake in the real cash. Okay, the AFL gets a big $1.3 billion deal over so many years from the networks to broadcast games, and that's a good windfall for them but they have huge overheads as we all understand. But do the AFL and in particular the teams really benefit when people are sitting at home and not providing bums on seats in stadiums? People at home are not buying merchandise, or food and drinks and not providing direct support to the host teams on game days. It just sucks the life out of the atmosphere of these vast quarter to half-filled stadiums. Further, people watching games at home aren't using public transport and they certainly aren't milling about gathering in bars or restaurants before games. So the city's struggling hospitality businesses suffer as well.

Channel 7 don't even have the decency to broadcast games being played on Saturday and Sunday afternoons (at least into regional Victoria) instead choosing to treat us to second rate VFL and AFLW games being played at either Box Hill or North Port Oval. If we're really lucky outside the AFLW season we get treated to re-runs of "Getaway". So of course I wonder (and I'm sure that I'm not alone) WTF are Channel 7 paying all of that money to the AFL for broadcast rights for? If we (the members and supporters) want to see those Sat/Sun afternoon games then our only choice is to sign up to either expensive Foxtel or $180 per-year for Kayo. Paying additional premiums to pay-to-view broadcasters is an insult to those supporters who've already spent bloody good money paying for membership packages or who get their memberships auto-renewed before the fixtures are announced. After the fixture release only to find that most of their Melbourne home games will be played at bullsh1t o'clock on a Sunday.

I have to admit that I am sick of being treated like an auto-teller (complete with my own money printing press) by the AFL and the broadcasters. I don't know what others think. Sadly I know that it's not going to change. I strongly think that if the AFL could actually make game scheduling worse and the broadcasters could dream a way to make it more expensive and less accessible that they would get their heads together and make it so.

So tell me, what game time would suit you? Because you have to appreciate, the slot that upsets you on a Sunday is the perfect slot for someone else. I've heard complaints about every single time slot clashing with something. Some say take it back to Saturday at 2pm. Others say that's the worst slot of all. And remember, when all games were played at the same time on Saturday, most games got no TV coverage at all. So the staggered times across the weekend are essential if you want to see away games or interstate games on TV.

So tell me, what game time would suit you? Because you have to appreciate, the slot that upsets you on a Sunday is the perfect slot for someone else. I've heard complaints about every single time slot clashing with something. Some say take it back to Saturday at 2pm. Others say that's the worst slot of all. And remember, when all games were played at the same time on Saturday, most games got no TV coverage at all. So the staggered times across the weekend are essential if you want to see away games or interstate games on TV.
Honestly? Are you serious or just taking the piss? Sunday afternoon/twilight suits nobody except the Foxtel progammers, and of course the 11-15,000 who it actually suits to make it to a game at that time slot. Further I stand by what I said about scheduling games Mon - Thurs for the reasons that I outlined.

I can't BELIEVE that anybody would actually ask what you just asked. Who are you? Gil McLaughlan, one of the Foxtel programmers, or one of the 11-15,000? But hey, if sitting in a three-quarters empty stadium at 5 pm on Sunday floats your boat then kudos to you, enjoy the game. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

They could start by turning the volume down on everything

We have 5x Schimma memberships, with constant clashes with my kids sport and losing 4 games to Tassie it really is becoming hard to justify.

I love watching North but I couldn't care less about any other game anymore. I used to watch most games in the past. I watch a lot more NHL hockey than AFL these days.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back