Discussion Crowd Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints4ever

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have you ever been in a punch up at the footy?
Maybe a verbal interaction with an oppo supporter?
Maybe a verbal interaction with a saints supporter.
Are you a different personality at the footy compared to your everyday personality.
Please share your stories.

I've had a few over the years. Me and a Hawks mate were being loud mouths out at Waverley back in the day and this huge older Hawks fan got fired up and slapped us both in the back of the head and wanted to fight us. I nearly shat myself and we moved. I was never very tough.

We thought we were pretty funny guys bagging each others players loudly. The funniest one was this mate was sitting on the boundary and was yelling out calling Barry Hall an inbred troglodyte which had people around us laughing. Hall came over to us and he went white. He just eyeballed him but it was enough to shut him up.

A few times I've been threatened for telling people to settle down or stop racist s**t but usually it's just posturing. Usually the rest of the crowd jump in if you call someone out and they settle down.

‘Twas a different time.
I was at a saints V melb game at Marvel about 5 yers ago, sitting in the saints reserved seat area.

Bloke behind me had crept into the area and was reasonably loaded. -started bagging our players and being generally disruptive. Being somewhat fiery in my day (long long ago) I asked him politely to refrain (STFU). A short time later he proceeded to spill half his beer down my back. If it were not for the presence of my wife he would have been stiffened then and there. I told him it would be best if he moved (F off in a hurry) which he politlely agreed (whilst giving me the finger from across the aisle. My wife reminded me there were kids around and to ignore him but I was pretty much baking at this stage.

A somewhat elderly gent across from us saw what was happening and challenged the behaviour. At this stage the perpetrator got up and fully pushed him - almost over. Everyone was shocked. I looked at my wife - who simply nodded at this point - and I was off. Security arrived a short time later to collect this guy whose face had seen better days - much to the delight of those around us. I then got quite concerned the the police would arrive to take me away however it never happened.

Upon reflection I was quite embarrassed but at the time it seemed the right thing to do.

Needless to say, I have learned to behave in future years - and no longer go to the saints reserved area.

Yelled out “ Carlton you are shite” once and an old Carlton guy with his wife turned around and said he didn’t appreciate it
I said I don’t blame you for not appreciating it paying for a membership and watching this bullshit get dished up
I still laugh at that
I’d had about 7 cougars (the drinks lol) so was a bit rarr rarr and the blues had been terrible

But other than that, nothing
I don’t get to enough games
If you go to a game over here against Port or the Chardonnay fruit tingles u have to bite your tongue

It’s pretty good and safe at the footy these days and that’s a good thing

My old man only went to the footy to fight I’m sure of it would have been half a dozen times at least that he got into full on fights. I remember him and his mate putting two blokes through a shop window after a game out at windy hill

Scary s**t when you’re a young kid

I was at a saints V melb game at Marvel about 5 yers ago, sitting in the saints reserved seat area.

Bloke behind me had crept into the area and was reasonably loaded. -started bagging our players and being generally disruptive. Being somewhat fiery in my day (long long ago) I asked him politely to refrain (STFU). A short time later he proceeded to spill half his beer down my back. If it were not for the presence of my wife he would have been stiffened then and there. I told him it would be best if he moved (F off in a hurry) which he politlely agreed (whilst giving me the finger from across the aisle. My wife reminded me there were kids around and to ignore him but I was pretty much baking at this stage.

A somewhat elderly gent across from us saw what was happening and challenged the behaviour. At this stage the perpetrator got up and fully pushed him - almost over. Everyone was shocked. I looked at my wife - who simply nodded at this point - and I was off. Security arrived a short time later to collect this guy whose face had seen better days - much to the delight of those around us. I then got quite concerned the the police would arrive to take me away however it never happened.

Upon reflection I was quite embarrassed but at the time it seemed the right thing to do.

Needless to say, I have learned to behave in future years - and no longer go to the saints reserved area.

Can't help but tip my hat to your wife

I first started going to Moorabbin when I was 15yo. Back in those days patrons were allowed to bring their full Eskys into the ground. We used to park ourselves behind the goals at the grandstand end and wait for the fights. We were never disappointed. The fights happened during the game, after the game and on the way back to the train station. I even saw fights on the train. Thank God things have changed for the better.
The only thing I find disappointing these days is the foul language. When my kids were young, I had to ask quite a few people to tone it down.
I went to the Essendon game this year and some Bombers clown kept dropping the C bomb and there were people in their 80s near him. The disrespectful prick got kicked out thankfully

Saints v Hawks at Marvel Circa 2007/08. Been on the free turps at Mahogany room all Arvo, roll into Medallion Club and tip in a few more. Saints won and at end of the game Clarko walks out the back of the coaches box reading a stats sheet. I tell him, no need to read coz they are all shithouse. He stops walking and turns and I was certain he was about to go me, when security realised he had stopped and he pointed in my direction and said get him out of here. The security had missed the initial part and so reacted to Clarko’s call and walked over to me, then past me and grabbed some old bloke walking with his wife. Like a coward I snuck away and Clarko was last heard saying not him, that guy, but I was dust.

Saints v Hawks at Marvel Circa 2007/08. Been on the free turps at Mahogany room all Arvo, roll into Medallion Club and tip in a few more. Saints won and at end of the game Clarko walks out the back of the coaches box reading a stats sheet. I tell him, no need to read coz they are all shithouse. He stops walking and turns and I was certain he was about to go me, when security realised he had stopped and he pointed in my direction and said get him out of here. The security had missed the initial part and so reacted to Clarko’s call and walked over to me, then past me and grabbed some old bloke walking with his wife. Like a coward I snuck away and Clarko was last heard saying not him, that guy, but I was dust.
:tearsofjoy: this is hilarious

imagine the scene some old boy getting tasered and he had no idea why hahahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

never seen so many fights than at a freo home game. especially at the away end. just full on s**t heads who'd bait oppo and then wanna punch on.

Honestly some of the worst behaved supporters in the league. I remember a bunch of them sitting in our cheer squad at Marvel pissed to the eye balls. One guy kept pulling his pants down so the top of his dick was poking out his pants and turning around standing on his chair, there were kids and women near-by getting pretty pissed off at him. His mates were trying to start fights and abuse everyone around them. Security lead hem out after about 20 warnings but they went out screaming and making a scene. Probably only about 4 or 5 years back. Not something you see that much any more. Mainly because you'd need $3000 worth of warm light beer to get slightly tipsy.

Honestly some of the worst behaved supporters in the league. I remember a bunch of them sitting in our cheer squad at Marvel pissed to the eye balls. One guy kept pulling his pants down so the top of his dick was poking out his pants and turning around standing on his chair, there were kids and women near-by getting pretty pissed off at him. His mates were trying to start fights and abuse everyone around them. Security lead hem out after about 20 warnings but they went out screaming and making a scene. Probably only about 4 or 5 years back. Not something you see that much any more. Mainly because you'd need $3000 worth of warm light beer to get slightly tipsy.
holy s**t thats messed up

I've had a few over the years. Me and a Hawks mate were being loud mouths out at Waverley back in the day and this huge older Hawks fan got fired up and slapped us both in the back of the head and wanted to fight us. I nearly shat myself and we moved. I was never very tough.

We thought we were pretty funny guys bagging each others players loudly. The funniest one was this mate was sitting on the boundary and was yelling out calling Barry Hall an inbred troglodyte which had people around us laughing. Hall came over to us and he went white. He just eyeballed him but it was enough to shut him up.

A few times I've been threatened for telling people to settle down or stop racist s**t but usually it's just posturing. Usually the rest of the crowd jump in if you call someone out and they settle down.
I had v.similar at Waverley when I was a teenager and me and a mate were swearing loudly and some huge man put a hand on my shoulder and my mates shoulder and very coldly told us there were younger kids around and to be quiet. We complied, hahaha, we were many things, stupid was not one of them... I've developed that trait later in life 😀

Was involved in an absolute doozy one day at Kardinia park. We had won with a last quarter comeback and as our group of four guys walked back through the carpark we were flat out jumped by about twenty blokes. Full on king hits that had us on the back foot from the get go.

Would love to say we fought the good fight but we were so outnumbered a lot of it was just covering up and trying to stand upright. I know I landed a few good ones but I wore twice as many.

The Coppers came in and broke that one up. They were swinging their batons liberally. They just screamed at us to get the hell out of there.. And we did.

I saw a heap of punch on's as a kid doing the VFL thing in the 80's. Windy hill was the worst. Absolute tip that joint.

Sorry, as an oppositon supporter, for interloping in this thread, but I need to point out, this is awesome.
I am picturing you looking at them, then looking at your wife, looking back at them, then back at your wife, back at them then finally with one last mournful look at your wife ....
Proud Of You Yes GIF

Had a saints supporter behind me yesterday who gave loud in-depth analysis of every single play. He'd say what happened... then why it happened... then what should have happened. He was relentless.

I thought about chucking a chip at him.... one with sauce on it.

Thankfully I was able to tame my beastly animal urges.

Had a saints supporter behind me yesterday who gave loud in-depth analysis of every single play. He'd say what happened... then why it happened... then what should have happened. He was relentless.

I thought about chucking a chip at him.... one with sauce on it.

Thankfully I was able to tame my beastly animal urges.
I think u were sitting near me! He was a peanut but I think he may have had other issues.

Gotta say mainly Saints supporters there but I was pretty disappointed with the language and there was an undercurrent that if u dared to disagree with someone or tell them to just settle down they were happy to accommodate you!

Re the language, no big deal for me, but just don’t like it around young kids & females. Maybe I’m just out of touch.

I think u were sitting near me! He was a peanut but I think he may have had other issues.

Gotta say mainly Saints supporters there but I was pretty disappointed with the language and there was an undercurrent that if u dared to disagree with someone or tell them to just settle down they were happy to accommodate you!

Re the language, no big deal for me, but just don’t like it around young kids & females. Maybe I’m just out of touch.
I think vocal fans are fine at the footy. You see some funny ones on occasions. A few swear words never hurt anyone as long as they don't go over the top. We had a funny guy dropping a few near us yesterday. The women around us seemed to think it was pretty funny as well.

Some people are very over sensitive these days... Don't go over the top but also no need to cater to snowflakes.

I think vocal fans are fine at the footy. You see some funny ones on occasions. A few swear words never hurt anyone as long as they don't go over the top. We had a funny guy dropping a few near us yesterday. The women around us seemed to think it was pretty funny as well.

Some people are very over sensitive these days... Don't go over the top but also no need to cater to snowflakes.
I hear you - but the constant F & C words with a fair bit of emotion - not required I reckon. As I said, water of a ducks back for me but for some others?

I hear you - but the constant F & C words with a fair bit of emotion - not required I reckon. As I said, water of a ducks back for me but for some others?
Pretty much agree. But vocal and emotional fans add to the atmosphere of going to the footy. I loved going as a kid in the 90s and into the early 2000s. I think it has become pretty tame these days. I think Saints crowds are very tame in comparison to some of the big clubs already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back