Toast Crowden - extends until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for bumping this thread, you saved me the trouble of looking for it... about time we gave Crowden a bit of love .

I've pretty much been a fan of Mitch ever since I saw his draft highlights video, and since then like most of us I've been waiting for him to reproduce those highlights at AFL level. Personally I reckon that's precisely what he's now clearly doing to the clear delight of all.

The last few games he's shown the same sorts of moves I saw in his draft vid... sharp and creative handballs, twisting out of tackles, gut running, mad tackling and a laser-guided boot.

Four passages of his play over the last couple of weeks really stand out as perfect examples:

- That magnificent 50m kick to Shultz on the run against Collingwood which led to his dribbling goal

- Staying on his feet, riding two bumps then snapping a goal last week

- That lovely intercept mark of his at the offensive 50m line last week which led to a goal.

- That ball tearing late turn on the midfield boundary this week against Hawthorn to evade a tackle, then running and kicking towards the forward line unencumbered.

If you re-watch all those game highlights and then watch his draft video again (as I did), the resemblances are uncanny. It suggests to me he's still got a lot of improvement left in him (saw him tackle four separate Hawthorn players in eight seconds during one passage of play this week... that level of ferocity ISN'T there in his draft vid, though it is there in his junior stats if you dig for it)

Hats off to you Mitch, your hard work is paying rewards son - please keep it up.

If I recall the story correctly as I was told it, in his final year at Prince Alfred College, he got cheap shot by a St Peter's player and stunned...trainer tried to get him up, he pushed the trainer away, fire in his eyes, and charged across the field at the next poor St. P's player who had the ball...rumour is the young fella landed six weeks in the future...

Thanks for bumping this thread, you saved me the trouble of looking for it... about time we gave Crowden a bit of love .

I've pretty much been a fan of Mitch ever since I saw his draft highlights video, and since then like most of us I've been waiting for him to reproduce those highlights at AFL level. Personally I reckon that's precisely what he's now clearly doing to the clear delight of all.

The last few games he's shown the same sorts of moves I saw in his draft vid... sharp and creative handballs, twisting out of tackles, gut running, mad tackling and a laser-guided boot.

Four passages of his play over the last couple of weeks really stand out as perfect examples:

- That magnificent 50m kick to Shultz on the run against Collingwood which led to his dribbling goal

- Staying on his feet, riding two bumps then snapping a goal last week

- That lovely intercept mark of his at the offensive 50m line last week which led to a goal.

- That ball tearing late turn on the midfield boundary this week against Hawthorn to evade a tackle, then running and kicking towards the forward line unencumbered.

If you re-watch all those game highlights and then watch his draft video again (as I did), the resemblances are uncanny. It suggests to me he's still got a lot of improvement left in him (saw him tackle four separate Hawthorn players in eight seconds during one passage of play this week... that level of ferocity ISN'T there in his draft vid, though it is there in his junior stats if you dig for it)

Hats off to you Mitch, your hard work is paying rewards son - please keep it up.

Yeah great post. I, too, was thinking about his draft highlights package and how he's starting to show that ability at AFL level.

Did not think he had it for afl. Looks like I was wrong.
Hope he can keep backing himself in like the last 2 games.

In his first couple of years I was thinking we had Nick Suban v2, getting caught holding the ball every game from memory. But geez he has improved his speed, awareness and defensive pressure... 11 tackles is brilliant. Crowden and Schultz make a good combo in terms of forward defensive pressure too.

He's a lot faster than I remember him being. He works well as a pressure forwaed much better than banfield who is a bit slow. Has a good field kick as well. And I remember in his earlier games he would get caught htb a lot but now it seems he has the strength to hold off tackles a bit.
I agree with you. The perplexing thing is how our coaching panel reached a different conclusion over 6 months of Pre season. What were they thinking?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back