Crowden

Remove this Banner Ad

Was gone for all money a few months ago but the exodus might have handed him a lifeline. No point filling out the squad with speculative rookie picks and late selections.

The issue for him is I don't see how he breaks into our midfield unless there's a huge injury crisis.

I like him. Yeah, he may not be the most talented player ever. But he gives 100% and has a bit of mongrel about him.

The type of player whose forward pressure could keep the ball in our forward line. Something we need.

I like Mitch, has played some good games for us.

Is the reason Western got delisted is lack of forward pressure?

I really hope so. Love this guy. Deserves a shot.
I was thinking the same thing. I won't be surprised if he is rookie listed.

With guys like Logue, Tucker and acres wanted to be traded, I can see Crowden get a 1 year deal like Sam Sturt.

Funny thing is he is getting plenty of the ball in WAFL level. He has had games where he got 20-25 disposals a game.

If he does stay on, I won't be surprised if he does a Bailey Banfield and plays like 14-16 games next season.

Should of got 2-4 AFL games mid season when we were struggling and had injuries.

I was thinking the same thing. I won't be surprised if he is rookie listed.

With guys like Logue, Tucker and acres wanted to be traded, I can see Crowden get a 1 year deal like Sam Sturt.

Funny thing is he is getting plenty of the ball in WAFL level. He has had games where he got 20-25 disposals a game.

If he does stay on, I won't be surprised if he does a Bailey Banfield and plays like 14-16 games next season.

Should of got 2-4 AFL games mid season when we were struggling and had injuries.
He has had so many chances at afl and his wafl form never translates..should have kept westy. He was still young enough..
Crowie is a bit meh..

He has had so many chances at afl and his wafl form never translates..should have kept westy. He was still young enough..
Crowie is a bit meh..
His WAFL form never translates to AFL because he plays midfield in WAFL and half forward in AFL. EVERY time he's played midfield recently at AFL level he's been good. Especially those games at the end of 2021.

Crowie is a bit meh..
If that was the case, why didnt Joel western get one more season?

He played 4 games in 2021. I didn't care if he averaged 10-12 disposals a game off the bench.

Only only stood at 174 cm and weighed 70 KG. So maybe a bit light.

Hayden Ballantyne wasn't that tall either but he could tackle. Take away that 2014 season where he kicked 49 goals, he regularly kicks 25-30 goals a season.

As for Crowden, he got 2 AFL games this season both as a sub. Didn't get a chance to get on the park.

It's possible that another club has an interest in Crowden and Fremantle would prefer an unrestricted free agent compensation pick to a nothing delisted free agent.

But I think Crowden has something to offer. We've been looking for a forward that can take a mark between the arcs and improve the ball delivery forward. He's the sort of player who can move the ball quickly.

It's possible that another club has an interest in Crowden and Fremantle would prefer an unrestricted free agent compensation pick to a nothing delisted free agent.

But I think Crowden has something to offer. We've been looking for a forward that can take a mark between the arcs and improve the ball delivery forward. He's the sort of player who can move the ball quickly.
I see Crowden as a Lachie Schultz type player. Hard nut, decent kick, loves to tackle and pressure. Definitely want to keep him.

Crowden was so close to getting a game this year he was just very unlucky. Would be heart breaking for the fella to have the wafl form he was in, and to be so close to having another crack at afl level only to be delisted.

With Mundy going out and Fyfe unreliable, Crowden becomes depth as an inside mid. He may become very valuable depth at the role he is actually good at. Give the man one more year. He had Peel on his back at times.

Crowden was so close to getting a game this year he was just very unlucky. Would be heart breaking for the fella to have the wafl form he was in, and to be so close to having another crack at afl level only to be delisted.

With Mundy going out and Fyfe unreliable, Crowden becomes depth as an inside mid. He may become very valuable depth at the role he is actually good at. Give the man one more year. He had Peel on his back at times.

As an inside mid he has AB, Serong, Brodie, Fyfe and Erasmus in front of him next year, how much depth do we need? If anyone was carrying Peel this year it was Blakely. He's a good WAFL or second tier player, end of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an inside mid he has AB, Serong, Brodie, Fyfe and Erasmus in front of him next year, how much depth do we need? If anyone was carrying Peel this year it was Blakely. He's a good WAFL or second tier player, end of.
I don't think you have thought that through at all mate.

You need a minimum of 4 inside mids in a 22. You only named 5 players. That means we only have one depth player. Not exactly excessive to have one more. Especially when one of those players was injured for 90% of this year and played forward when he was fit, and the other player is a teenager that was out preformed by Crowden.

Yes I also expect Eramsus to go past Crowden next season, and we also have Johnson. But in a premiership window I don't think its a bad thing to hold on to a senior player who out performed both of those teenagers this year.

I don't think you have thought that through at all mate.

You need a minimum of 4 inside mids in a 22. You only named 5 players. That means we only have one depth player. Not exactly excessive to have one more. Especially when one of those players was injured for 90% of this year and played forward when he was fit, and the other player is a teenager that was out preformed by Crowden.

Yes I also expect Eramsus to go past Crowden next season, and we also have Johnson. But in a premiership window I don't think its a bad thing to hold on to a senior player who out performed both of those teenagers this year.
Considering he wasn't mentioned in the Blakely/Western press release, I would think he's probably getting another min. offer.

Considering he wasn't mentioned in the Blakely/Western press release, I would think he's probably getting another min. offer.
very likely to come down to the Tucker trade

if Tucker goes then we have the spot on the list for him, if not then we probably try someone new

Kuek - Lobb may be a similar call

I like Mitch, has played some good games for us.

Is the reason Western got delisted is lack of forward pressure?

Partially that but I think the bigger problem is what position is he (at AFL level)? He doesn't kick enough goals or put on significant forward pressure as a forward and as a midfielder he is too easily bumped off the ball, and is not skilful enough with it (Note I am not saying his skills haven't improved).

Crowden in the main was very consistent with his ball use and is on the dangerous side with it due to the depth he has with his kick, tackles a lot and this season has put up some very high possesion numbers (playing out of the middle). Another thing going for Crowden is just his work rate - I think he just puts in a massive effort on and off the field, which from a team perspective drives on others (who may not so be inclined) to greater work rates.

I3Y64Ts.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back