Crowds a concern

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a bizarre email from the club yesterday:

We're emailing today with an important update regarding the ticketing process for our upcoming home games. With the return of reserved seats, we no longer need to run reserved seat ballots. Instead, reserved bay members will simply be able to login into Ticketek during the ticket on-sale for each home game and reserve a seat for $0.

So I still need to go through the process of re-registering for a ticket every week??

The problem is that the Docklands was built to make money only.
Every square inch of spare space is covered in corporate advertising including a n uneccessary digital video fence.
It is all concrete . It has a hard surface because of the underground car park. It faces in the wrong direction.
The stadium could be anywhere in the world, you could be in Dubai you wouldn't know .
The prices for food and drinks are an insult.
I would prefer to go and watch country footy than go to this lifeless concrete hole in the ground.
Stadiums should be used friendly and have a few trees or a grasses area.
Modern stadiums are awful generally speaking.
As soon as you walk in you realise the main priority is $$$$$$$.

As an outsider, what exactly is wrong with docklands? It looks like a great stadium to me and every team apart from Richmond seem to draw in great crowds there. Collingwood have just as much right to the MCG as Richmond, yet their game against us had 11k more spectators

As an outsider, what exactly is wrong with docklands? It looks like a great stadium to me and every team apart from Richmond seem to draw in great crowds there. Collingwood have just as much right to the MCG as Richmond, yet their game against us had 11k more spectators

There's nothing wrong with Marvel, it's a nice stadium but could be better. But it's still a fun venue.

That said, I think it's cultural. For teams like Melbourne and Richmond, their supporter base and membership structure is very much focused on the MCG. Melbourne's MCC members get zero benefits for Marvel home games, and general Melbourne members have long-standing seats and arrangements at the MCG going back many decades. Richmond supporters are in the same boat. Richmond has strong cultural ties perhaps even stronger than Melbourne to the MCG. I think most Richmond supporters would agree with me in that a Marvel home game just doesn't feel "right". They are two supporter groups who just don't like going to other venues. It might be different for other clubs who have large supporters bases across the country but Melbourne and Richmond are very much centred around that north-east and south-east area of the city, with extremely concentred supporter bases in Melbourne. Marvel just seems soulless in comparison and a home game there still feels like an away game.

I don't expect others to understand that but I feel there is definitely strong cultural reasoning behind some club's supporters shying away from going to Marvel.

There's nothing wrong with Marvel, it's a nice stadium but could be better. But it's still a fun venue.

That said, I think it's cultural. For teams like Melbourne and Richmond, their supporter base and membership structure is very much focused on the MCG. Melbourne's MCC members get zero benefits for Marvel home games, and general Melbourne members have long-standing seats and arrangements at the MCG going back many decades. Richmond supporters are in the same boat. Richmond has strong cultural ties perhaps even stronger than Melbourne to the MCG. I think most Richmond supporters would agree with me in that a Marvel home game just doesn't feel "right". They are two supporter groups who just don't like going to other venues. It might be different for other clubs who have large supporters bases across the country but Melbourne and Richmond are very much centred around that north-east and south-east area of the city, with extremely concentred supporter bases in Melbourne. Marvel just seems soulless in comparison and a home game there still feels like an away game.

I don't expect others to understand that but I feel there is definitely strong cultural reasoning behind some club's supporters shying away from going to Marvel.
MCC members can reserve seats in the Centre Wing area

MCC members can reserve seats in the Centre Wing area

I'm not really talking about seats. Going from the MCC to Marvel is the equivalent of going from Flemington VRC Members to Tatura Racecourse members.

atmosphere is terrible. its a concrete bunker, it's dark and grey. completely sterile. mostly to do with the roof tbh. i've been there during the day and night when the roof is open and its much better.

also, the crush around the ground is something else. sure theres a trainstation, but 40k+ people get crammed through a handful of gates and a bridge probably 20m wide. its a nightmare. ive been in rock concert mosh pits less dense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media has finally jumped on this crowd issue this week, blaming everything from COVID, public transport reticence, KAYO sports, people being precious about their "normal" seats... and the likely reality, which is that the booking fees and requirement to use one of 2 dogshit ticket sites turns people off, and there's a certain age cohort of devotees who might not have smart phones, and if they do they only know how to text, call, check footy scores and make stupid comments on facebook.

I get that early in the season they wanted to know where everyone was sitting and space them out... but I would've thought we're at a point now where you can do walk ups again as long as they're prepared to QR code before they enter. Yeah, it'll take heaps longer to get in, but I think you get a few thousand a game back just by doing that. (I realise that doesn't solve the problem with older people.)

That said, there might be something to KAYO. I got a deal of $5 a month before the season, and when I'm still COVID unemployed because my industry still won't exist until next year, it's hard to justify the 30 or 40 bucks to go to the footy even if I could wipe out the booking fee and just roll up.

edit: I do think it's interesting that, in my own personal experience (so certainly not claiming a scientific study!), people have rushed back to more cultural things much more quickly. We're talk about different scales - tens of thousands of people at the AFL vs a few hundred or a few thousand people at a cultural event - but that series of gigs at the Myer music bowl, the local wrestling near my house, the first few gigs out my way in the northern suburbs, even the first couple of trivia nights... you couldn't get into these things for love nor money if you weren't online at exactly the right time to get tickets. And the people attending weren't bitching about QR codes or anything, they would've let you photo ID their bellend if that's what was required to get in.
Except that at the MCG people are not spaced out, but crammed into the lower parts of the ground while the upper tiers are completely empty.

The if you cant hack the minor inconvenience of having to reserve a free ticket online then you're just lazy

There is a lot of different type of audiences. The older/elderly for example, do not want anything to do with online and technology. It is a big barrier for them to try to use and understand. It’s not about being lazy for a lot of type of audiences. Let alone the chance that you could still get covid.

atmosphere is terrible. its a concrete bunker, it's dark and grey. completely sterile. mostly to do with the roof tbh. i've been there during the day and night when the roof is open and its much better.

also, the crush around the ground is something else. sure theres a trainstation, but 40k+ people get crammed through a handful of gates and a bridge probably 20m wide. its a nightmare. ive been in rock concert mosh pits less dense.
I agree the gates at Marvel are s**t.

Mothers Day v Carlton only had 28K there but the massive queue outside the bottlenecked gates made it look like 50,000 lol.

And ever since Marvel became the sponsor, all the chairs except the MARVEL seats are now grey. They all used to be a mix of yellow on level 3 as well which was easy on the eyes rather than it is now.

The if you cant hack the minor inconvenience of having to reserve a free ticket online then you're just lazy

It's not a minor inconvenience for some people. Particularly the elder, less tech savvy or those who can't jump online during the middle of the day because of work.

Got a bizarre email from the club yesterday:

So I still need to go through the process of re-registering for a ticket every week??
My understanding is reserved seat members who have an exact seat no longer need to get a ticket each week from Ticketek.
But people with memberships that get them access to a reserved bay or bays (which it appears that email was talking about) still need to get on Ticketek and book an exact seat each game. This is how it works at the Hawks.

Latest General Reserved tickets on sale for this weeks game that will be lucky to reach 40k
Just had a look and if you click on Q55 you can get row X, better than GG, but still disgraceful.
I suspect they will have level 4 closed in Ponsford and Southern and jam everyone into Olympic.
There's bound to empty areas on level 1 so an option is buy nosebleed then find your own spot down stairs once you check out the empty areas.

Just had a look and if you click on Q55 you can get row X, better than GG, but still disgraceful.
I suspect they will have level 4 closed in Ponsford and Southern and jam everyone into Olympic.
There's bound to empty areas on level 1 so an option is buy nosebleed then find your own spot down stairs once you check out the empty areas.
Sure, but the issue is if you are thinking about going and then see the only GA tickets are the back rows of the Olympic then it is very easy to think why bother going

Remove this Banner Ad

Back