Crowds a concern

Remove this Banner Ad

I panicked and got my replacement ticket and took what ever I was offered: I ended up high up in the Olympic Stand. It looks ludicrous when there are thousands of empty seats at ground level with thousands of people up in the heavens.

‘as I.

It was always going to be a narrative of the 2021 season, HQ would have some sort of contingency planning in place you'd think. You can't just expect 2019 crowds to rock up just yet. I think there will be some permanent effect out of Covid, but how minor or significant it is just yet on crowd revenue remains to be seen. At the moment, I think the general delight at crowds being back at various venues around the country means you can't really paint a negative picture of it just yet. If the crowds haven't shifted by end 2022, then definitely some hard choices to be made.

We are just on the backend of Covid with things just getting back to normal. People are still nervous to go where there is crowds, or they usually like just rocking up and buying a ticket, or they are old and don't like digital tickets/cashless grounds. Give it time before we start thinking it's doom and gloom

I think it will take a bit of time for people to get used to the new ticketing process, you can’t just rock up anymore which is a bit annoying.

This is the way it has been for the Eagles for 25 years. One of the great things about being in Melbourne is the ability to just turn up.

This isn’t normal in a national league. You can’t just turn up to a top Premier League or NFL game.

Changing behaviour is frustrating when you are so accustomed to being able to just turn up. Sorry that you have to do that now.

I’m gonna pull my mums truest and most frustrating line. “Someone has it worse than you”.

Imagine being an Eagles supporter on a 10 year wait list for a seat. Or scrambling every week for a limited non season member ticket or bumming one from a family member a couple of times a year. Especially when you have a beautiful new stadium that is 10k too small to maintain scarcity and push season ticket purchase.

As a supporter, I hope you get the tickets you need and get to the games you want. Every time I visit from London I struggle to get an Eagles ticket.

COVID 19 has changed the landscape and crowds wont return to the pre COVID levels for a few seasons to come

Let people pick their seats with the tickets and see the change.. also a lot of people like to stand so might as well go stand at the pub with your mates and watch it

Collingwood/Carlton would have got probably 5-10k more had it been Friday night instead of Thursday. And I think a lot of old people are spooked by the whole having to log on and book a seat and store it on your phone situation.

I had to pay $65 for a seat similar to what I would get for home games as part of my membership, so I can understand why others would be hesitant to head to the game.

Can be an expensive day out unless it is your teams home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood/Carlton would have got probably 5-10k more had it been Friday night instead of Thursday. And I think a lot of old people are spooked by the whole having to log on and book a seat and store it on your phone situation.
This.

I know people that couldn't bring their kids because it was a thurs night and a school night. Also, if it wasnt for me, mum wouldn't be able to attend. She isn't technology versed in how you would go about doing the ticketing process. I imagine a lot of the elder generation would have that issue. Then there is still wary about covid. It'll def take a while. But crowds will grow over time.

TV numbers are up. So I think it's more a sign people aren't quite ready for going to the games in person.

2020 certainly taught me I can still enjoy the footy without attending games. Habits have changed; the ritual has been broken. Considered staying home today even after paying $43 for a ticket earlier in the week. Part lack of sleep/part laziness.

I intend to keep going to Richmond games in Melbourne but will revert to the TV if the virus gets into circulation here.

Bit of a farce that standing room was closed (got told to move on four times before going upstairs to my seat) when they're packing them in in the seated area.

Yes was interesting. Hardly any Tiger fans there.
We won’t know until we have a whole COVID free season whether there has been a actual change in behaviour. No cause for concern yet.

:moustache: You must be good splitting brown from black and gold from yellow in a crowd of 40,000.

Like any other Richmond Hawthorn game, i dunno who the f*** was supporting who.

I heard no cheers for Hawthorn goals, but loud cheers for Hawthorn free kicks. Seems your supporters cheer free kicks more than goals.

Shaving my balls with a rusty razor is going to be less painful than watching Essendon this year. Going to see a huge decrease in attendance at Essendon games
I think you’re right. I’m not bothering this week. Why would I bother go through that rigmarole again only to see my mob done and dusted 20 minutes into the first quarter with another pea hearted effort.. I’m not. It will be my first game in Victoria missed for 13 years, and that includes the year we had no players (2016).

I simply can’t be stuffed!

:moustache: You must be good splitting brown from black and gold from yellow in a crowd of 40,000.

Like any other Richmond Hawthorn game, i dunno who the f*** was supporting who.

I heard no cheers for Hawthorn goals, but loud cheers for Hawthorn free kicks. Seems your supporters cheer free kicks more than goals.
The commentators on The radio on the way in were saying how much louder Hawthorn fans were, that there were surprisingly few Tiger fans there. When I got there @ 1/4 time that was quite apparent as well. We would usually be outnumbered by Tiger fans but not today. Can’t blame them, hole and away games can be boring after a few flags in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back