Crowds a concern

Remove this Banner Ad

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
absolutely ridiculous... are the news and footy channels looking for a line in the sand? which reporter dreamt up this
idea just to have something to report on other than Dusty and his cohorts..

get on board with the snakebite of the tiger but everything else is just utter rubbish..

putting git out there and it ain't me..

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the extra hassle of buying a ticket is knocking 5-10k off. It doesn’t stop you from going but if you would usually be on the fence about going, even though you’re not paying extra, you kind of just go ‘meh can’t be bothered’.

I think they need to advertise how to access the general reserved seating. It’s the GA equivalent, yet so many people seem to not know about it.

I think you are imagining a scenario to avoid the reality.

People are not going because they cannot afford it

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
as we are lined up and 1 by 1 wanded upon entry, when the security starts waving their wands over my very young children and I demand they stop, kids don't need to be conditioned to that in this country.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but this fake security checking is a scam, its certainly not a welcoming entrance

And creates an unprotected crowd where a suicide bomber could theoretically terrorise effectively

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Also the mcg has put marvel like upgrade costs on every seat where when they were proclaiming ‘the people’s ground’ you could walk up and find for example a level 1 behind the goals for GA admission.

maybe, like seemingly every other corporation, the Afl/mcg/ clubs are gouging under cover of covid 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

maybe Jeff if he really wants to stick up for the public he is well placed too actually do something. Not holding my breath, hawthorn have been sneakily gouging their most loyal members for years

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Not sure that's the case but they were trying pretty hard on 360 to pump it up. The rule changes have "saved the game", we've been campaigning on this for years etc.

Facts are that crowds were at their highest for a decade before Hocking started fiddling, and scoring is actually down marginally on last year on a points:minute basis.

‘cannot like enough

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Not sure that's the case but they were trying pretty hard on 360 to pump it up. The rule changes have "saved the game", we've been campaigning on this for years etc.

Facts are that crowds were at their highest for a decade before Hocking started fiddling, and scoring is actually down marginally on last year on a points:minute basis.
Stand the Mark rule although I agree that is opening up the game, I'm still not a fan of it. "STAND" also inside 50 is a joke they should change it so you can least if it's inside 50 move laterally. it just looks poor.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
I wonder if some people are turned off by this, and can see the game is becoming artificially manufactured to suit certain interest groups rather than letting it evolve naturally.

When I saw Whateley and Robbo celebrating that the game has been saved, I cringed.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ridiculous overreaction ITT and umpires and rules have nothing to do with it. There are three main factors why crowds will be down and it won't be something that will return to pre-COVID levels this season.

1. A lot of people have a lot less disposable income after 2020 and/or are more cautious with their financial decisions in case we have another breakout.

2. The ticketing system is a lot more complicated.

3. A lot of people are still anxious about attending events with large crowds.

It's nothing to worry about. It's just great that any sort of crowds are back.

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
1. Pandemic still has people cautious of crowds
2. Free Membership seats that you redeem via ticketek are spitting out back rows of top deck of Southern Stand when next to no seats have been sold in membership pre-sale.
3. Prices have gone through the roof. $65 to sit behind goals level one. It was GA ($25) two seasons ago (eg. Empty bays at Hawks v Tiges).
4. People are still struggling financially after a bad year. Away games will have less opposition fans attending now due to the higher prices.
5. Not everyone is technology savvy. Online bookings, text message tickets etc is off putting for some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
1. Pandemic still has people cautious of crowds
2. Free Membership seats that you redeem via ticketek are spitting out back rows of top deck of Southern Stand when next to no seats have been sold in membership pre-sale.
3. Prices have gone through the roof. $65 to sit behind goals level one. It was GA ($25) two seasons ago (eg. Empty bays at Hawks v Tiges).
4. People are still struggling financially after a bad year. Away games will have less opposition fans attending now due to the higher prices.
5. Not everyone is technology savvy. Online bookings, text message tickets etc is off putting for some.

2 and 3. Accident or deliberate gouging. Hawks gold and silver seating already paid for are being put up for sale again. Gouging is off the scale in these post covid times

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
I think you are imagining a scenario to avoid the reality.

People are not going because they cannot afford it

I think this is having the least impact tbh

Main reasons would be ticketing/seating arrangement/requirments and more importantly, a lot of people who were once socially active have been adversely affected by the lockdown and are likelier to just want to stay at home. Its hard to snap out of the rut

That will sort itself out for the most part but it will take months if not a year imo

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Well I just unsuccessfully tried to get tickets at 10.05am for Hawthorn v Geelong. Replacement game so expected free tickets - none available. Only option was to pay between $78 and $96 for something I have already paid for. This game would probably get 60k max pre Covid so something stinks here.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Well I just unsuccessfully tried to get tickets at 10.05am for Hawthorn v Geelong. Replacement game so expected free tickets - none available. Only option was to pay between $78 and $96 for something I have already paid for. This game would probably get 60k max pre Covid so something stinks here.

I had 10 or so goes till I was able to find the free tickets. Got three way up in the Southern Stand. The system kept trying to push me into paying for tickets as well. There was no option for Redeem Membership Replacement ticket or similar. I reckon I fluked it but plenty of people would have given up and said stuff it.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I had 10 or so goes till I was able to find the free tickets. Got three way up in the Southern Stand. The system kept trying to push me into paying for tickets as well. There was no option for Redeem Membership Replacement ticket or similar. I reckon I fluked it but plenty of people would have given up and said stuff it.

I was on right at 10am and missed them due to the way they were selling them. I put up with last year paying for three memberships and now cop this. Pretty s**t form by the AFL.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
I think the extra hassle of buying a ticket is knocking 5-10k off. It doesn’t stop you from going but if you would usually be on the fence about going, even though you’re not paying extra, you kind of just go ‘meh can’t be bothered’.

I think they need to advertise how to access the general reserved seating. It’s the GA equivalent, yet so many people seem to not know about it.

While COVID fears are obviously a factor, it and the hassles around booking seats are giving people who are disenchanted due to state of game, prices their team struggling etc... an excuse not to go that wasn't there previously.

Pre-COVID, going to the footy was such a ritual (even obligation) that some people went even when they didn't really to want to go.

COVID has flipped all that; those people have got an array of excuses not to go and this is at least partially the result for low crowds

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
While COVID fears are obviously a factor, it and the hassles around booking seats are giving people who are disenchanted due to state of game, prices their team struggling etc... an excuse not to go that wasn't there previously.

Pre-COVID, going to the footy was such a ritual (even obligation) that some people went even when they didn't really to want to go.

COVID has flipped all that; those people have got an array of excuses not to go and this is at least partially the result for low crowds

The ticketing thing is easily fixed - all operators need to have an option when you login that simply says Redeem Members Seats or something instead of having to navigate through a maze of options to potentially find the seats for which we've already paid for through our membership packages. Deathevocation's story says it all. Logs in at 10.05am and is expected to cough up exorbitant prices for something that he's already paid for.

As usual, it's club members (the backbone of the whole shebang) who are treated like crap.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
After trying to get tickets for Cats v Hawks, I know why crowds will be down all season.
Quite simply - away team members that have game entry as part of their membership (Hawthorn members always get into this game for free as a designated game due to Tassie), usually get to go for free - you can get GA - standing room or level 4 for no cost and no hassle.
This year there is no GA or standing, and the cheapest tickets for away members were $28 for an adult, and same for my teenage kids (concession), and $20 for a six year old. So four tickets that are usually free, would cost me over $100. It was a fairly stressful 30 mins on Ticketek, I kept thinking I had made a mistake. Absolute joke. Profiteering from Geelong/AFL and reckon it will cost them 10,000 in crowd numbers.
Won't go close to selling out. I am still deciding what I will do.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
After trying to get tickets for Cats v Hawks, I know why crowds will be down all season.
Quite simply - away team members that have game entry as part of their membership (Hawthorn members always get into this game for free as a designated game due to Tassie), usually get to go for free - you can get GA - standing room or level 4 for no cost and no hassle.
This year there is no GA or standing, and the cheapest tickets for away members were $28 for an adult, and same for my teenage kids (concession), and $20 for a six year old. So four tickets that are usually free, would cost me over $100. It was a fairly stressful 30 mins on Ticketek, I kept thinking I had made a mistake. Absolute joke. Profiteering from Geelong/AFL and reckon it will cost them 10,000 in crowd numbers.
Won't go close to selling out. I am still deciding what I will do.

I'm not paying for something twice. Bet late Sunday or Monday morning when the crowd is looking pretty poor they magically find some new seats for Hawthorn replacement members.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
So a mate of mine reckons he just got an email noting more free club member tickets will be made available at 1.00pm. After forcing members to buy tickets for seats, they've already paid for.

You couldn't make it up.

Got the same email. Crooks.

And creates an unprotected crowd where a suicide bomber could theoretically terrorise effectively
Kim Jong Un could drive a nuclear warwhead on the back of a truck with a flashing neon sign past them and they still wouldnt notice it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back