Crowds a concern

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Be interesting to see if Hawks got more than 10k. Were there restrictions in TAS ?

Seemed a small crowd given the weather was literally perfect for football. And the game was an absolute cracker too.
Or maybe the Tassie fans are voting with their feet and boycotting the AFL. Sick of being taken for a ride by the two blow ins

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Ticket prices are becoming a joke. I'm stupid enough to pay whatever price put in front of me for an away game but I just can't imagine how a family can take the kids to the game and pay $75 a ticket to get a decent seat and sit in the pouring rain.

It’s what I’ve tried to point out a few times. There is a lot of people doing it tough in Victoria. It has a 6.5 billion dollar deficit and 17,000 left last quarter. There’s a lot of people that just can’t afford it. Imo it will change but not for a fair few years.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Logged on to buy tickets to Dees v Richmond Friday morning. Ticketmaster website said there were only 360 tickets left. Gave my membership number to some Richmond mates so we grab tickets together and ended up with Level 1 seats with no cover, right near the Dees cheer cringe squad, lol.

Was shocked when there was only 56k there.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Caller on SEN this morning saying family of 5,2 Adults 3 Children cost him $350+ to go the footy saturday,general seats.
disgraceful
my personal opinion at the moment,the tripe that the AFL has turned this game into and the blatant favoritism shown by cheating umpires in several
games ive watched,you couldnt pay me to go...the AFL is a con at present,im not buying ;)

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Caller on SEN this morning saying family of 5,2 Adults 3 Children cost him $350+ to go the footy saturday,general seats.
disgraceful
my personal opinion at the moment,the tripe that the AFL has turned this game into and the blatant favoritism shown by cheating umpires in several
games ive watched,you couldnt pay me to go...the AFL is a con at present,im not buying ;)
I don't think the umpire's cheat as such but are just very poor ATM and what would you expect with an ex player mate as chief of umpiring who never umpired an AFL match!
I agree though that half the matches are hard to watch and it didn't take long for the coaches to kill the new rules that were meant to open the game up.
How many times are ALL the players in one half of the ground and when one of the defending players does break clear there is NO ONE to kick because ALL the forwards are defending with the FF playing on the wing FFS!

The game is turning into a poor version of soccer or rugby! Time for the AFL to bite the bullet and go to 16 men a side and and 18 minute quarters.

Last edited:

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Logged on to buy tickets to Dees v Richmond Friday morning. Ticketmaster website said there were only 360 tickets left. Gave my membership number to some Richmond mates so we grab tickets together and ended up with Level 1 seats with no cover, right near the Dees cheer cringe squad, lol.

Was shocked when there was only 56k there.
Someone is lying when they say a match is a sellout and then thousands don't bother to turn up - which I don't believe!

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Was genuinely surprised how low the Richmond Melbourne crowd was. Thought that would have been at least over 60k
Yep I was shocked as well you would think with Richmond playing and the Melbourne MMC members turning up it would have been at least 65,000.
The only thing I can think of is Covid is still having a major effect sep with older fans.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s what I’ve tried to point out a few times. There is a lot of people doing it tough in Victoria. It has a 6.5 billion dollar deficit and 17,000 left last quarter. There’s a lot of people that just can’t afford it. Imo it will change but not for a fair few years.

If they want to charge $75 a ticket or whatever that is up to them, but it is going to hurt crowd numbers. There are a lot of games in Victoria, you can pick and choose or you can watch at home. A few times a season I liked to roll into a quiet afternoon game through GA - I am not going to do it this year.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
As stated before ticket prices are a joke, costs a lot to go to the footy and to be honest its not an enjoyable experience trying to catch the train or drive out of the grounds, not to mention the amount of idiots that you get stuck around that clearly don't know the rules of football. My biggest hate is the amount of rubbish comes out of some supporters mouths who think everything is BALL when its the opposition.

I was one who moved country last year due to work / covid and there is little chance I am making a 3.5 hour trip each way to go watch the footy and spend that sort of coin to get in to the ground, drink half strength beer and wait in line for majority of the game when I could sit at home and drink full strength beer , and don't have to line up to take a wizz.

Don't get me wrong I love the atmosphere of a live game but in 2019 as a Tigers member without reserved seating basically evey match you were on the top tier and not as enjoyable thats for sure.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
If they want to charge $75 a ticket or whatever that is up to them, but it is going to hurt crowd numbers. There are a lot of games in Victoria, you can pick and choose or you can watch at home. A few times a season I liked to roll into a quiet afternoon game through GA - I am not going to do it this year.

Thats my point. With the economic issues Victoria has the average person on the street just doesn’t see it as a good price for entertainment. If your at home with a family it’s way way more cost effective to have Foxtel/kayo if your family is a footy family. If you don’t live and breath footy though you wouldn’t even give that type of price a second glance.

I’ll also add as a family you could take them all to the movies then A very very nice meal out then home in relatively short time all without sitting in the cold or the rain. And most likely have money left over.

Last edited:

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Hawks have been in Tasmania about as long as Essendon has been at Docklands.
AND?
The groundswell of anger and resentment towards Hawthorn and North by the Taswegians is growing by the week.
Perhaps it’s better left for the other thread though

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Not at all convinced the last 2 Port home games had 7-10k no shows.

Ticket prices are a joke too. Not a season ticket anymore holder unfortunately and single game tickets are disgusting. I do know Port structures it that way to some extent though. But I do think the AFL needs to adapt to the real possibility that people are getting better at staying home.... Minuscule discounts to disgusting food don't make it better.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats my point. With the economic issues Victoria has the average person on the street just doesn’t see it as a good price for entertainment. If your at home with a family it’s way way more cost effective to have Foxtel/kayo if your family is a footy family. If you don’t live and breath footy though you wouldn’t even give that type of price a second glance.

I’ll also add as a family you could take them all to the movies then A very very nice meal out then home in relatively short time all without sitting in the cold or the rain. And most likely have money left over.

Not entirely sure that the economic issues in Victoria are as dramatic as that. But what they are doing with the ticket pricing is a disincentive to attend.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Not entirely sure that the economic issues in Victoria are as dramatic as that. But what they are doing with the ticket pricing is a disincentive to attend.
“Mr Martine was also questioned about how the government would repay its debt, following revelations in the budget last November the Victorian government had recorded an operating deficit of $6.5bn compared with a forecast surplus of $600m in the last financial year.”

“The state collected $9.7 billion less in revenue than it spent over the second half of last year, meaning the full-year deficit could be as high as $20 billion. Before the pandemic, Treasury expected a small surplus for the year.”

Last edited:

brett15

Flog Status Confirmed
Aug 8, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Was genuinely surprised how low the Richmond Melbourne crowd was. Thought that would have been at least over 60k

Richmond member allocation was exhausted, concession ticket upgrade price for what was left was $38. People aren't going because members have already paid their annual membership and are being slugged premium prices for a ticket on top of it

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Richmond member allocation was exhausted, concession ticket upgrade price for what was left was $38. People aren't going because members have already paid their annual membership and are being slugged premium prices for a ticket on top of it
Top of the Olympic looked pretty empty. Wouldn't surprise if they stopped selling those tickets to try and force people into the expensive seats

Back