Crowds a concern

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats v Pies this Saturday will be interesting. In previous years this game would attract a decent crowd and I would have put a permanent marker around that game as a "must go". But I'm 50:50 for this game. It's all become too difficult, having to pre-book, not being able to sit where you like, etc. These are all minor inconveniences, but enough to make me ask isn't it easier to stay home and watch on TV.

Swans Crowds are also down, averaging their lowest crowds since 2013 which is disappointing since the team is playing better than expected.

last weeks 31448 against Collingwood was the lowest crowd the 2 clubs have played in front of in Sydney since 1996.

View attachment 1135708

6% decline on our 2019 coming off literally our worst two seasons in over 25 years in the middle of a pandemic is great. The big Melbourne sides are seeing 25-30% declines on 2019 figures.

People seem to have crazy expectations. We're in the middle of an event which has caused the biggest societal impact in what, 75 years? Since the Second World War? Even then no one was worried that they'd get bombed going to the footy. In the middle of all that, on average 28k people are still coming out to games.

You gotta re-baseline this stuff. It'll probably take 2-3 years to get back to 2019 levels.

i wonder if the penny will ever drop for vic footy fans that they have had it so good and either the rest of country should be the same, one way or another.
I'm sick of people (pre covid) pointing out all the empty seats at metricon as if they are walk up GA seats at $20 a pop - they are not, they are $50+.

It's a growing market and most of Metricon should be GA seating, partic on the outer wing where its sun in the face and quite frankly hot to sit for 2+ hours for afternoon games.

This entire league and massive associated industry is built on Victorian footy fans. The following that clubs have, the ratings, the memberships ie all the money flow from the fact that football is (was) easily accessible to the average citizen of the People's Republic of Victoria. The model is different in other states I get that, but it is not better.

What percentage of drop off you reckon can be atrributed to rule changes and the perplexing umpiring concerning things like holding/dropping/throwing the ball?
At some point people will say, screw you hippies I can go find something else to do!

What percentage of drop off you reckon can be atrributed to rule changes and the perplexing umpiring concerning things like holding/dropping/throwing the ball?
At some point people will say, screw you hippies I can go find something else to do!

I would say very little, at least for Crows members. Us being crap = less "walk up" attendees and Covid still having an effect.

I also know 2 people that aren't attending because of the mask rule at AO (which is inconvenient, but really a non-issue, they're just the "anti-authority" type).

Or the fact Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon & Hawthorn are all rubbish?

Email from the club today says members can bring a friend free to next week's game. Pretty desperate measure in footy's heartland. AFL exec bonuses at risk.
My Carlton supporting relative just got another free membership and cap/scarf offered to him. He’s giving it to me since he already gave his other one to his mate and so I can attend games with him.

Only anecdotal but a number of country fans I know aren't going to games as often as they did pre 2020. The affordability of Kayo combined with being forced to watch each game in the comfort of their own home last year made them realise that the enjoyment they get from going to the footy isn't worth giving up an entire day travelling to Melb every 2nd weekend.

The crowds are down because:

a) fans are sick of the rule changes and umpiring
b) sick of BS decisions and bias coming from AFL house; and
c) completely over the stuffwits in the media hanging shite on the players and game all the time.

When the AFL is actually paying haters like Barret and Kornes to comment on the game they are clearly clueless as to the issues at hand.

With such a small crowd for Collingwood vs Port they really should have played it at Marvel...
Would have been lucky to get 15,000 people if it was at Marvel.

Collingwood are playing such an unattractive game style that its no wonder fans dont want to watch them play live anymore. You want a return on investment, which paying to watch us play a defensive game kicking sideways and backwards is defnitiely not!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zero - all due to the ticketing system, not getting the tickets your membership promised etc.

My Carlton supporting relative just got another free membership and cap/scarf offered to him. He’s giving it to me since he already gave his other one to his mate and so I can attend games with him.

We still trying to get our record membership as high as possible? I do love bringing up the free memberships whenever people on our board spruik the record membership numbers...

Cats v Pies this Saturday will be interesting. In previous years this game would attract a decent crowd and I would have put a permanent marker around that game as a "must go". But I'm 50:50 for this game. It's all become too difficult, having to pre-book, not being able to sit where you like, etc. These are all minor inconveniences, but enough to make me ask isn't it easier to stay home and watch on TV.

It's bullshit how even with smaller crowds we are restricted to relatively s**t seats unless you pay a premium. So * em I say.

This year I renewed my Geelong membership but not my reserved KP seat (which is about 50 bucks a game).

Looking back, the reason I got the seat in the first place was so I could turn up at the last minute and still get a good spot. Standing room used to get pretty packed.

With crowd numbers down, I'm back up in the standing room, and loving it. Great view and plenty of space. All for 50 bucks less.

It's bullshit how even with smaller crowds we are restricted to relatively sh*t seats unless you pay a premium. So fu** em I say.

This year I renewed my Geelong membership but not my reserved KP seat (which is about 50 bucks a game).

Looking back, the reason I got the seat in the first place was so I could turn up at the last minute and still get a good spot. Standing room used to get pretty packed.

With crowd numbers down, I'm back up in the standing room, and loving it. Great view and plenty of space. All for 50 bucks less.
Are they allowing standing room at Geelong?

The crowds are down because:

a) fans are sick of the rule changes and umpiring
b) sick of BS decisions and bias coming from AFL house; and
c) completely over the stuffwits in the media hanging sh*te on the players and game all the time.

When the AFL is actually paying haters like Barret and Kornes to comment on the game they are clearly clueless as to the issues at hand.

Fans have whined about umpiring and rules for ages, hasn't affected crowds.

Are they allowing standing room at Geelong?

Yep, it's pretty sparse though, and when the security is being strict they won't let you in there unless your free "eTicket" says you have a standing room spot.

Much easier to maintain social distancing up there that down in the seats

Crowds down for any number of reasons:
- In the midst of a pandemic (which have caused lots of changes to attending a game in person including areas being sectioned off, reduced crowd capacity, only being able to reserve seats the week of games, having to check in at venues, having to load tickets on your phone)
- Collingwood playing horribly unattractive footy. Game plan sends you to sleep. Lots of fans don't want to waste their time
- Richmond having had sustained success over a number of years means their fans aren't as desperate to see success. They've had it now, will pick and choose the games they attend
- after being forced to watch games on tv last year, some people maybe realise they don't mind watching on tv and happy to keep doing that

I've been to every Essendon game in Melbourne this year and am loving attending the games. We are playing a good brand of footy to watch and our home crowds have been pretty good. 33000 for a Sunday 4.40pm timeslot is a great crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back