Crowds cost Aflw

Remove this Banner Ad

Russ898

Rookie
Oct 6, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve noticed the crowds have dropped off noticeably at Aflw .One game only had 272 attend.Who is funding the cost of this?Do umpires get paid the same as the men’s?And how do they come up with 6613 at the Gabba last night when the men’s game follows?
I like Aflw but surely the cost to clubs afl and Foxtel will soon come into question it seems unsustainable!!

Gil on AFL360 said earlier this week the crowd numbers and tv audiences have increased again this year and they will continue to top up financially and grow AFLW.
Fox are about to introduce a dedicated Womens sport channel so i'd be surprised if they'd do that and not include AFLW.

Sponsorship and broadcasting $ would be more important to the sustainability of the game than gate receipts thus far. Last few years crowds got in for free so at least some coin is coming in this year.
Also some games (Hickey Park?) seem to be at a park oval with basically no stands so no surprise crowds might be down at some venues.

• Banned
Gil on AFL360 said earlier this week the crowd numbers and tv audiences have increased again this year and they will continue to top up financially and grow AFLW.
Fox are about to introduce a dedicated Womens sport channel so i'd be surprised if they'd do that and not include AFLW.

Not sure

Gil is talking garbage many of the games haven’t had a 1000 people to them!!Google Aflw crowds it’s all there.
Even broadcasters are looking to save money not even having callers at interstate games but calling from studios in Melbourne.
As I said how did they come at 6613 at the brisbane Aflw game when it’s followed by
the men’s game.
Some woman’s teams are costing over 1.5 million each for clubs to run.
I’m a fan of woman’s footy but I think it’s not sustainable and has lost its momentum in all media platforms since the men’s has started.

Aren't they charging $10 admission now? Could explain some of the poor crowds.

Gil is talking garbage many of the games haven’t had a 1000 people to them!
Aren't they charging $10 admission now? Could explain some of the poor crowds.
Which ones are we talking about: the sellouts at Punt Road, the matches played in heavy rain, or the afternoon weekday games?

There's otherwise been precedence for every crowd figure recorded this season. And that's despite reduced capacity and people not being able to buy tickets at the gate, etc.

Some woman’s teams are costing over 1.5 million each for clubs to run.
Some women's teams are generating over $1.5 million in revenue.

has lost its momentum in all media platforms since the men’s has started.
If the AFL think that's a problem, they'll structure the women's season in the future so that it doesn't overlap with the men's. If they don't think it's a problem, then... what's the problem?

• Banned
Which ones are we talking about: the sellouts at Punt Road, the matches played in heavy rain, or the afternoon weekday games?

There's otherwise been precedence for every crowd figure recorded this season. And that's despite reduced capacity and people not being able to buy tickets at the gate, etc.

Some women's teams are generating over $1.5 million in revenue.

If the AFL think that's a problem, they'll structure the women's season in the future so that it doesn't overlap with the men's. If they don't think it's a problem, then... what's the problem?
Funny not a problem?Even one of its coaches and biggest supporters Daniel Hartford conceded as much on radio this morning that it has lost momentum. Season needs to not over lap men’s.The cost to the Afl won’t go away and will eventually become a problem as the now defunct Canadian woman’s hockey league found out.

Gil on AFL360 said earlier this week the crowd numbers [No] and tv audiences have increased again this year
What exactly did G. McLachlan say?

The AFLW crowds are certainly down this year, which is unfortunate as the skill standard has again increased- & c.70-80% of games are great to watch.

Crowds are the lowest since 2017. From 2017-2019 seasons, crowds averaged c. 6000 per game.
Despite the introduction of big WC & RFC, the $10 entry may have been a factor?

Covid concerns don't appear to be a big problem for AFL crowds in 2021- but appear, from Rd.1 crowds in some games, covid still has a negative effect on crowds (AFL Rd.1 27,562 average crowd is low- but capacity constraints, & rain in Sydney & Brisbane).

Do you have any accurate figures for the average AFLW FTA ratings in 2021-& Foxtel?
Have they certainly increased, cf 2020? (The skills are better, scoring is ok- in fine conditions- so they should be).

It is irresponsible for the AFL to have AFLW games after the AFL season starts- every year since 2017, crowds, ratings, & MSM interest plummet.
To foster & maximise support for the AFLW, all games must have clear air- & be completed before the AFL season starts.

Even one of its coaches and biggest supporters Daniel Hartford conceded as much on radio this morning that it has lost momentum. Season needs to not over lap men’s.
What exactly did Harford say?

Last edited:
Even broadcasters are looking to save money not even having callers at interstate games but calling from studios in Melbourne.
They're doing that for the mens as well you melon

They're doing that for the mens as well you melon
Also saves their arse in the event of sudden border closures and lockdowns. Given broadcasters need to save every penny they can, surprised they didn't start doing this earlier and just have one local to run the boundary.

It's important to remember that we are still living in a pandemic.

So, not just taking into account the cap on crowd attendance, some games with no crowd allowed and the last minute moving of game, but also some people at the moment just don't feel comfortable being in social environments until the vaccine rollout starts to take proper effect.

Plus on the business, many of the most popular companies you buy from (or use their service), lost money for years, on years, before making a profit - some very big name companies that dominate the news have yet to record a profit!

When the AFL set-up GWS and Gold Coast, they outlined that they needed to support those clubs for something like 20 years (IIRC).

The AFLW is similar, it will require support and further investment for a generation. That also includes paying the players more - see it as a company upgrading their product and marketing for future sales.

Even one of its coaches and biggest supporters Daniel Hartford conceded as much on radio this morning that it has lost momentum. Season needs to not over lap men’s.The cost to the Afl won’t go away
Whether it loses exposure as a result of overlapping with the men's season isn't a point of contention. However, if you're only concerned about operational costs, you'd actually be in favour of more women's games played as a curtain-raisers to the men's season. That would be a big short-sighted mistake but, from what I've gathered, a lot of AFLW supporters actually want this which I find quite baffling.

Do you have any accurate figures for the average AFLW FTA ratings in 2021-& Foxtel?
Have they certainly increased, cf 2020?
The TV ratings certainly increased this year across the first 7 AFLW rounds. Just as they were certainly slashed by 50-75% on the weekend just gone, though it was nevertheless the highest-rating Round 8 in AFLW history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also saves their arse in the event of sudden border closures and lockdowns. Given broadcasters need to save every penny they can, surprised they didn't start doing this earlier and just have one local to run the boundary.
Melon?Really keyboard warrior!!
My point was c..k that the measures taken to save money by broadcasters has even hit the men’s game!!Low rating Aflw games that don’t pay there way eventually will be looked at .

What exactly did G. McLachlan say?

The AFLW crowds are certainly down this year, which is unfortunate as the skill standard has again increased- & c.70-80% of games are great to watch.

Crowds are the lowest since 2017. From 2017-2019 seasons, crowds averaged c. 6000 per game.
Despite the introduction of big WC & RFC, the $10 entry may have been a factor?

Covid concerns don't appear to be a big problem for AFL crowds in 2021- but appear, from Rd.1 crowds in some games, covid still has a negative effect on crowds (AFL Rd.1 27,562 average crowd is low- but capacity constraints, & rain in Sydney & Brisbane).

Have they certainly increased, cf 2020? (The skills are better, scoring is ok- in fine conditions- so they should be).

It is irresponsible for the AFL to have AFLW games after the AFL season starts- every year since 2017, crowds, ratings, & MSM interest plummet.
To foster & maximise support for the AFLW, all games must have clear air- & be completed before the AFL season starts.

What exactly did Harford say?
One of the other presenters of the show(white his surname )bought up that the season had lost momentum and Hartford agreed .Hartford said he wasn’t sure what the solution was but maybe an earlier season start.

Low rating Aflw games that don’t pay there way eventually will be looked at .
It's constantly being looked at. Such as in June 2020:
"It is the Commission's view that it is critical at this juncture to provide clarity to the AFLW Clubs and players by demonstrating our ongoing commitment to women's football and the NAB AFLW Competition," Mr McLachlan said.

So give it a rest. Changes to the season timing/structure might be made to maximise viewership in the future. If you want to get into the specifics about that, I strongly recommend this thread.

No choice in a pandemic to vote otherwise !!Afl just lost 23 million not sure a big rise was in store for Aflw
The vote occurred in October 2019, oops !!

It's constantly being looked at. Such as in June 2020:

So give it a rest. Changes to the season timing/structure might be made to maximise viewership in the future. If you want to get into the specifics about that, I strongly recommend this thread.
I will comment on whatever I want you give it a rest.
Who said Aflw was in danger of immediately disappearing?

Don't forget we have a 50% Covid cap on all games in Suburban Melbourne. The crowd for Richmond V Brisbane for example was a sell out at 1300.

Thing is though. If I was playing for the Eagles as a person, id get say 20 people to come watch me play each game and I think thats what we are getting. 1300 would mostly be friends and family as opposed to fans for a Richmond game

I will comment on whatever I want you give it a rest.
Who said Aflw was in danger of immediately disappearing?
Point of the thread is to say "derrr i fink da league won't last". But it's the thread that won't last, just like this one:

Maybe so but they were whinging about the wages before the season started !!oops
Another blatant lie.

Are u taking about the cba where they got a 21% pay rise?
The CBA which ensured most players went from earning $13,000 to $20,000 in the space of four years, yes. I have a feeling the AFL can cope with these "big" increases.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back