MVP Crowley the greatest tagger in AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

He is worth 2 players on the field, one for his hardness and the possessions/goals he influences and another for the player he shuts down.

If he plays the same season next year, he will be AA. If he gets the job on Mitchell, Burgoyne or Hodge etc and does a shutdown, he makes our midfield so much more efficient.

he is good but dont know about best, byron picket was good and tough yes a bit dirty though, but what about glen archer? or Lingy? definately the fairest,

Who does he go to for the GF, i'd say Mitchell, but Mitchell has dealt with tags fairly well the whole year. Mitchell got 25 disposals in the game against us earlier in the year

I am absolutely stoked we have made a GF but im just gonna grumble a bit about the AA.

3 forwards that are 6'5", no tagger and midfielders as HFFs. wut. Crowley doesnt even make the top 40..

I am absolutely stoked we have made a GF but im just gonna grumble a bit about the AA.

3 forwards that are 6'5", no tagger and midfielders as HFFs. wut. Crowley doesnt even make the top 40..

The all aust doesn't reflect the true best team of the year hence why Mitchell ends up on a hbf or wherever because they are so stiff at ensuring the best players get in to their side in their opinion if it means shoving a bunch of midffielders in at full back to fulfill this.

Dont know about best ever but when that conversation comes up he's earnt his place to be in the mix somewhere. Watching the replay now after getting home and that second quarter is just insane :)

byron picket was good and tough yes a bit dirty though, but what about glen archer? or Lingy? definately the fairest,

Since when were Archer and Pickett taggers??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ling was better. Possessions-wise a step up from Crowley. What they have in common is that in reality they are not footballers blessed with talent. They are hard-workers committed to getting the best out of themselves for the good of their teams.

That goal he kicked from outside 50 in the 2nd last night was immense. I think he was actually so full of adrenaline he was floating, made it look easy.
WHen he gave it to Jack after I was a bit worried we might be giving their players a rev up but they just kept rubbing their faces in the dirt.

Fair play this guy has won me over. Ballantyne as well. Both playing fantastic team football. Credit to Lyon as well, best thing your club ever did.

No disrespect to Crowley but Ling comfortably the best ever :)

Yep, Lingy went both ways and kicked goals regularly when he went forward. Crowls does too I know, but his focus is more of a negating player rather than an attacking type player. Having said that though, I have seen Crowls play some great games in a forward pocket.

Jade Rawlings wasn't bad either, just ask Stephen Hill.

I'm obviously biased but Ling's 2007 season is the best season I have and likely ever will see by a tagger.

Crowley is obviously head and shoulders above anybody else in the league these days though. How well he does on Mitchell will go a long way to deciding the premiers IMO.

I'm obviously biased but Ling's 2007 season is the best season I have and likely ever will see by a tagger.

Crowley is obviously head and shoulders above anybody else in the league these days though. How well he does on Mitchell will go a long way to deciding the premiers IMO.

Yes. The other question is what the coaches instructions are to them, and I am pretty sure Lyon instructs Crowley to obliterate the target he is given, and not to give much thought to getting possessions or scoring. Ling would have had a slightly different set of instructions.

Yep, Lingy went both ways and kicked goals regularly when he went forward. Crowls does too I know, but his focus is more of a negating player rather than an attacking type player. Having said that though, I have seen Crowls play some great games in a forward pocket.

Jade Rawlings wasn't bad either, just ask Stephen Hill.

Brady... Yea was very good. Kane Cornes also.

Ling would struggle with the umpiring interpretations thses days. Remember one game Ling played on Kerr. Spent the whole game with both arms wrapped around him. Was a disgrace - similar to the way Jordie McKenzie illeagally tagged Ablett this year but worse. Almost had me feeling sorry for Kerr - almost!! Crowley Is a master at putting his body legally between his opponent and the ball.

Will he go to Mitchell?

Sorry for the intrusions guys. I'd be very very surprised if Crowley doesn't go to Mitchell. Mitch is so important to us that shutting him down would go a long way towards winning. It's a bit daunting as a hawks supporter as Mitchell has been very taggable over the journey, not by hacks but good taggers have had success and Crowley is a good tagger. K. Cornes and Ling in particular have shut Mitch down in the past and Ling owned him in the 08 grand final, especially the first half.

It shapes as a great grand final. Plenty of X factor in both sides with Fyfe, Hill x2, Burgoyne Franklin and the man mountain in Sandilands. hope it's a cracker and may the best side win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back