Crown Melbourne Part 4

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
any regs can meet up with me at Crown with me and my mates if they want, just PM me.

Sep 19, 2006
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Ridiculous hand tonight on 1/3

Hero: 10h9h
Villain: XX
UTG raise to 12
Villain all in for 32
4 callers (pot 128)
Flop
JhQx7s
UTG bets 40, I call. Everyone else folds (pot 128), (side pot 80)
Turn Qh
UTG bets 60, I call (pot 128), (side pot 200)
River 2x
UTG checks, I bet 100, he folds.
I table my bluff, dealer announces board and pushes it up.
Villian looks at his hand, sighs and mucks his hand.
Dealer pauses and then pushes the pot.
Villain doesn't realise for the rest of the night, everyone else on the table picked up on it and made whispered conversation about it
I'm confused. How are you playing the board? You have queens with j-10-9 so maybe your 10, 9 played?

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Thread has run quite so a bit of a bump. Played in Sydney last weekend:

Pros of Sydney:
*Plenty of drinks tables about
*Plenty of waitresses around for drinks orders
*Plenty of Omaha tables
*$1.50 for a pint of lemon, lime and bitters

Cons of Sydney:
*Long wait times for tables if you turn up at the wrong time
*Limited number of tables
*Supervisors seem to have a stick up their arse and are somewhat abrasive towards players
*Tables are slightly bigger meaning you need to push your bets in all the time and the button sits in the middle of the table which can be confusing

Overall an enjoyable weekend, looking forward to getting back there sometime in the future!

Nalts

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
*Tables are slightly bigger meaning you need to push your bets in all the time and the button sits in the middle of the table which can be confusing

I used to deal at Crown and please jesus, anyone who plays there, push your bets in. You get surpringly sore dealing poker and patrons who leave their bets an inch in front of their stack are comfortably the most despised. I and most other dealers would take belligerent drunk guys over people who acted like they were being asked for their first born when requesting they push their bets in all day every day.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I used to deal at Crown and please jesus, anyone who plays there, push your bets in. You get surpringly sore dealing poker and patrons who leave their bets an inch in front of their stack are comfortably the most despised. I and most other dealers would take belligerent drunk guys over people who acted like they were being asked for their first born when requesting they push their bets in all day every day.

I used to work there as well do I get where you're coming from. I don't mean putting it out in front of you and having the dealer reach, but in Sydney you have to be the one reaching to put your bets due to the tables being slightly bigger. Crown has a good trade off where neither dealer or patron is reaching too far to push or collect chips. The exception to that is raking in a big put of course ;)

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
To be fair you see it quite a bit at Crown where players have to be continually prompted as they're immersed in their phone. Don't mind no phones during the hand, not at all is a bit excessive though.
A player should have their hand folded if they are in a hand and on their phone. I'd be a prick of a dealer. Show one card and throw the other card down, I'll muck them and you lose the pot. That should teach you for next time. Fold with broadway on board, no way are you getting a share of the pot.

It's ridiculous that you can't use your phone once you fold. You can do it at the WSOP, you can do it at Crown, but Sydney likes to think they invented poker.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A player should have their hand folded if they are in a hand and on their phone. I'd be a prick of a dealer. Show one card and throw the other card down, I'll muck them and you lose the pot. That should teach you for next time. Fold with broadway on board, no way are you getting a share of the pot.

It's ridiculous that you can't use your phone once you fold. You can do it at the WSOP, you can do it at Crown, but Sydney likes to think they invented poker.

Their rake is also cheaper as well and I like the deeper stacks of $100-$500 buy in at a 2/3 table, forgot to add them in the pros column.

As far as I know players need to show two cards to win unless the other player has mucked, haven't seen any instances otherwise?

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Dealers usually say "2 cards to win" and then the player flips up the down card. I'd rather players were punished by having the dealer muck their cards, award the pot to their opponent, THEN inform them they need to table both cards.

Sep 19, 2006
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Definitely get some dealers give players dirty looks when they have to repeatedly ask.

Nalts

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dealers usually say "2 cards to win" and then the player flips up the down card. I'd rather players were punished by having the dealer muck their cards, award the pot to their opponent, THEN inform them they need to table both cards.

Procedure thats trained when this happens is to snap muck, often seems harsh though. Especially when the player doing it is obviously from a pub poker background where it's pretty common or new to the game all together. If someone does it continually though, no mercy.

Definitely get some dealers give players dirty looks when they have to repeatedly ask.

Yeah it's the kinda thing that'll get you spoken about in the break room. To be fair a lot of dealers are miserable campaigners but if you've got a smaller dealer with t-rex arms its just common courtesy.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure when this started, but you no longer get your parking at the registration desk. You now have to be seated at a table the ask the dealer to call a supervisor over, then he will go and swipe your card for parking.

They might even make you wait for a while to swipe your card. * they’re tight.

Last edited:

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure when this started, but you no longer get your parking at the registration desk. You now have to be seated at a table the ask the dealer to call a supervisor over, then he will go and swipe your card for parking.

They might even make you wait for a while to swipe your card. **** they’re tight.
That is why a train and short walk from Flinders Street Station is always the best option.

They might even make you wait for a while to swipe your card. **** they’re tight.
It's to stop people coming in reging and then not playing just to get the free parking. Fair enough.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
I'd recommend doing one of the later stages to avoid paying rake on tournament entry multiple times just for a qualifier.
Cheers mate - ended up playing a phase two qualifier as it was starting as I arrived, and only $20. Won through to phase 2 but not sure when I'll give it a crack

Back