Crown Melbourne Part 4

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
I do. It's a bit of cheap fun and gets me out of the house one night a week. I don't have the bankroll for live NLH nor know enough interested folks to start a home game, so pub poker fills a void for me.
Do you play at the same venue every week or do you mix it up? Haven't played one of these yet, but I'm interested over the next few months, plenty of western suburbs venues I could rock up to any old night. Used to go to Crown like every 6 months in my late teens/early twenties for their minimum cash game buy in, but only played the occasional cash game with mates or at the footy/cricket club while drinking since.

Is it winner takes set prize pool amount or do they hand minor prizes to final table participants also? Also is it straight cash they pay out or do you have to set up an account or something?

How many chips do you normally start with/blinds etc?

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you play at the same venue every week or do you mix it up? Haven't played one of these yet, but I'm interested over the next few months, plenty of western suburbs venues I could rock up to any old night. Used to go to Crown like every 6 months in my late teens/early twenties for their minimum cash game buy in, but only played the occasional cash game with mates or at the footy/cricket club while drinking since.

Is it winner takes set prize pool amount or do they hand minor prizes to final table participants also? Also is it straight cash they pay out or do you have to set up an account or something?

It's not winner take all, assuming the numbers are decent, the last few remaining players all get paid. All in straight out cash.

Number of chips and buy in varies across venues, blind levels go up quickly though.

It's usually a good atmosphere and a relaxed night to have a drink and play some cards!

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU

They have a formula for number of spots paid, usually about 10% of the field. My local venue has a $500 prize pool guaranteed although I've never seen it not get enough players to cover it. We average 30-40 players with most of them regulars so it's fairly social.

Just be aware that the stacks start deep but blinds go up ridiculously fast later on and it's a bingo shovefest by the final table. Chip leader to start the final table will usually be around 15 big blinds. Treat it as a chance to have a drink and play some cards rather than a test of serious poker and it's enjoyable.

The special events you can qualify for have better structures.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yeah had a crack at one of my local venues, made it to the final table from about 25, came equal 4th, me and another guy were KOd by the second biggest stack when we were both short stacked through our round of blinds, so our hands were forced.

Was a decent night though, played for nearly 3 hours so I got my moneys worth, just missed out on the money, was for the top 3.

Conservative play does work I think up against more aggressive players who can lose their chips and stacks easily from underestimating their opponents, but I'd want more chips behind me at a final table, only had 82k with 15/30k blinds and 3k ante, shoved with aces first hand there, they held against A10, but didn't win another pot after that, got whittled down by antes and the next round of blinds, but a few were eliminated before I was. I could've folded right through and came third as 3 positions across from me someone else with a short stack was doing exactly that and had no intention of putting her chips on the line, but I don't think it would have been the right productive play, if my QJ all in against 9s would've paid off then I could've whittled away at first and second with 3 and a half big blinds after the non caller would've had to have shoved 2 hands later, but anyways.

I think next time I play I'd want to be relatively unscathed early on, pick up some pots here and there, but once the blinds go up to medium $$$ that's the time to take a risk, nail some cards, nail some bluffs and build a stack in order to be in good shape for the final table.

Think I shoved 6-7 times throughout the night, won 3-4 times, chopped once, lost twice including when I was eliminated. Had a king high flush early in, got rolled by 8s full of 9s there (river paired with a 9 from his pocket 8s), lol, didn't really recover from that one in order to play aggressively with some security in order of a decent stack for back up, had to play tight and measured after that, but I picked the right moments and had some luck at least. Lost a bit of cash early on being sucked in by chasing draws, but I seemed to get a few sets throughout the night at least, won a decent pot all in with a Broadway straight, had 910 OS, flopped a king high straight, ace came on the turn, the two callers had two pair each I think AQ vs JK, but no ten there, so no chop. Doubled up with a pair of jacks with an ace kicker, guy shoved on me with 107 on a J97 board, I think it was blind vs blind here, I felt he didn't have 108, so I was correct there, that double up saw me through to the final table.

But yeah, it's something I can probably do once a month or something, probably have more time for it later in the year. Good to last that long first up though, some of these people gamble for a living and play 3-4-5 times a week, among the more social/occasional players.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Crown have just rolled out a new machine for people to register for a table and collect tickets to be seated. If you play mid week or during quieter times bring your crown card along to save having to hit up a pit boss to get seated.

Sep 19, 2006
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Upcoming Crown Schedule

Attachments

• EPguNfwU0AAtAtL.jpg
    EPguNfwU0AAtAtL.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 165

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
What's your favourite seat at the table? For me I like seat 5, allows for a full view of the table, nice and close to the board and you're not having to stretch too far to put chips in. Not a fan of seat one for obvious reasons, likewise seat 9/10 it goes without saying is the worst spot on the table next to the dealer with the rake box perfectly positioned at knee height.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
What's your favourite seat at the table? For me I like seat 5, allows for a full view of the table, nice and close to the board and you're not having to stretch too far to put chips in. Not a fan of seat one for obvious reasons, likewise seat 9/10 it goes without saying is the worst spot on the table next to the dealer with the rake box perfectly positioned at knee height.
I like seat 9/10 if I'm short stacked at a FT :p gives me more hands to pick a shoving spot, but yeah 5-6-7 I'd imagine would be the better positions

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
I prefer the wing seats, 3 or 7 on a 9-handed table. No dealer in your way and, importantly, you see everyone and the board in roughly the same direction. Seats 4-6 it's hard to see the others in that line, or you can't watch the board and some opponents at the same time.

Back