mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Over Half the members that attend games use the free game day public transport and that figure in rising. and to stop that would impact on Memberships. Its a feel good payment

So they'll fork out s**t loads of dough on memberships and presumably expensive food and drinks but not go if they need to pay $5 for the bus.
I doubt it.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't mind the transport levy, would be pretty terrible without it. People who don't usually get the bus lining up to pay for tickets at every stop, having to check everybody at the train station.

The club would just pass it on anyway. We'd all pay between $10 and $20 for everybody to have 11 games + finals, which would save an adult about $100 a season. Drivers benefit because more people on public transport should = more available car parking. Making getting to the games as easily as possible is a good thing.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
So they'll fork out s**t loads of dough on memberships and presumably expensive food and drinks but not go if they need to pay $5 for the bus.
I doubt it.
Catching the Train or Bus is not always about the money, (Its can also be up $6 if you have metro card or $10 plus without), And there are a lot of supporters that bring there own food and drinks, to save cost, Not all supporters are like us and have extra the money, Some save up to see the game live, and any saving is good for them and the Club
I prefer to catch the train it easy, no hassles, no need to look for parking, I also spend the money I save on Club merchandise. Before the free bus I paid $16 a game for 2 tickets,
But more importantly the clubs giving back to the members

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Catching the Train or Bus is not always about the money, (Its can also be up $6 if you have metro card or $10 plus without), And there are a lot of supporters that bring there own food and drinks, to save cost, Not all supporters are like us and have extra the money, Some save up to see the game live, and any saving is good for them and the Club
I prefer to catch the train it easy, no hassles, no need to look for parking, I also spend the money I save on Club merchandise. Before the free bus I paid $16 a game for 2 tickets,
But more importantly the clubs giving back to the members

It's actually factored into the membership price.
So more use it or lose it really.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm a bit confused. Why did Chappy or Fages mention about the $750k transport levy and the $400k sanfl payments plus whatever else adds up to $2 mil of extra expenditure that AFC pays out. Intimating we could be adding it to our bottom line if we didn't pay these costs. But another poster points out that we'd lose members if we don't supply free transport. Do the AFC want to make these payments or not?
They also said they spend right to there "soft cap" to avoid some kind of AFL tax.
But also complaints about us paying a lot of equalisation tax. I don't get it.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm a bit confused. Why did Chappy or Fages mention about the $750k transport levy and the $400k sanfl payments plus whatever else adds up to $2 mil of extra expenditure that AFC pays out. Intimating we could be adding it to our bottom line if we didn't pay these costs. But another poster points out that we'd lose members if we don't supply free transport. Do the AFC want to make these payments or not?
They also said they spend right to there "soft cap" to avoid some kind of AFL tax.
But also complaints about us paying a lot of equalisation tax. I don't get it.

The transport levy is factored into the price of membership. But I guess if the levy was removed, it probably wouldn't affect the next price adjustment since we're used to paying the price. The soft cap is footy dept spend with every dollar spent above it attracting a % to be paid to the AFL. The equalisation tax we pay is based on season tickets sold or crowd numbers.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The transport levy is factored into the price of membership. But I guess if the levy was removed, it probably wouldn't affect the next price adjustment since we're used to paying the price. The soft cap is footy dept spend with every dollar spent above it attracting a % to be paid to the AFL. The equalisation tax we pay is based on season tickets sold or crowd numbers.
Footy Dept spend no issues.
But Penalized for having passionate fans who attend games. That's a stupid method. How do they come up with these stupid ideas. Must be the same tool that invented vegimite chocolate.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
But Penalized for having passionate fans who attend games. That's a stupid method. How do they come up with these stupid ideas. Must be the same tool that invented vegimite chocolate.

I'd like to know whether it's new or did it come in under Trigg's watch and we're only hearing about it now we have a CEO whose sole concern is AFC rather than setting up his next gig at AFL House.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree with this, sure tax things that keeps things even on the field, but equalize based on advantages some clubs are given (like Anzac day matches or 8 Friday night games, more games vs. popular teams, popular time slots, FTA exposure). Don't penalize clubs doing the right thing, don't stop clubs growing through hard work.

Tax football spend and maybe even expand what that includes but not clubs investing and securing their own future. And especially don't take the money generated directly from supporters.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Agree with this, sure tax things that keeps things even on the field, but equalize based on advantages some clubs are given (like Anzac day matches or 8 Friday night games, more games vs. popular teams, popular time slots, FTA exposure). Don't penalize clubs doing the right thing, don't stop clubs growing through hard work.

Tax football spend and maybe even expand what that includes but not clubs investing and securing their own future. And especially don't take the money generated directly from supporters.

Especially when Collingwood etc pokies money is exempt. Really sends the wrong message.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Especially when Collingwood etc pokies money is exempt. Really sends the wrong message.

The one thing we do well is the thing the AFL taxes the hardest by the sound of things, and we don't get a lot of reward for it (fixture, tv, etc) Collingwood is a good example, they get every advantage from the AFL, the exposure benefit for sponsors of great time slots and being used in big games to prop up other teams, pokie revenue and then play in a huge stadium with spare seats so probably aren't hit by as much seat levy either. They can generate so much money outside of what the AFL taxes that they can then go and spend way over the soft tax on football departments.

Our match day sponsor pays $55,000 per game for back of run through banner advertising and other things around the ground, usually on Foxtel up against other games or Twilight or whatever, I wonder what Collingwoods sponsors pay or the Hawks with their 8 Friday night games standalone on 7 pay, why not tax the difference there.

If we were to go over the football department soft cap, we'd almost be getting taxed twice by the AFL, in and out. Andrew Fagan did mention the need for new non-football investments the other day, hopefully we see or hear something soon, we need to be well ahead of the level other clubs are propped up to.

Perhaps unrelated but I noticed he mentioned all community programs will now be run through the Crows Foundation, I wonder if there is some benefit doing that.

Last edited:
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Perhaps unrelated but I noticed he mentioned all community programs will now be run through the Crows Foundation, I wonder if there is some benefit doing that.
I'd take a guess and say it'd be easier and maybe cheaper to have it all run through one department, who may then report it all to the higher ups, rather than 4-5 seperate programs doing it.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd take a guess and say it'd be easier and maybe cheaper to have it all run through one department, who may then report it all to the higher ups, rather than 4-5 seperate programs doing it.

Could have PBI status and provide benefits to employees that receive FBT concessions. I suppose it would also ensure that the costs associated with actually running a premiership campaign aren't polluted by community work and affecting what's available to be spent in the costs that are taxable. Ultimately the money still comes from the club, but let's say Noble is down at a school with the boys, then that days pay comes from the Foundation and wouldn't be included in the soft footy dept cap spend. Although you'd think an organisation like the AFL would have a method where that kind of work could be added back. But I suppose it would open it up to rorting so perhaps they're black and white when it comes to the footy taxes.

13isthenew32

Draftee
Feb 10, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The way we have changed our Victorian membership we could see a decent raise. Yes they won't count towards AFL audit membership number as they don't have a match ticket. But it is money in the bank.

Actually they will count in the official numbers when they attend their first match. That will take them over the $50 threshold required by the AFL. Smart move by the membership team I say...

13isthenew32

Draftee
Feb 10, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just read this whole thread and it is a positive result for us no matter how you look at it. I think Fages has done a great job in a relatively short amount of time. But he obviously needs good people around him as well. Anyone know who else in the club is helping turn things around?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just read this whole thread and it is a positive result for us no matter how you look at it. I think Fages has done a great job in a relatively short amount of time. But he obviously needs good people around him as well. Anyone know who else in the club is helping turn things around?

I'd be looking straight at the stadium return. From memory the improvement in the deal after the review was 7 figures. I think it was reported that our sponsorship dollars were returning to pre Trigg-gate levels, so probably a decent gain there. I'd say Triggy bloated the organisation, I'd expect under Fagan it's a bit leaner while output has been improved. But I'd guess the turnaround is built on the stadium return.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

It sounds like some of the BF whipping boys in the marketing area are performing much better now we have a better leadership. Fages was heaping plenty of praise on Smarts department. Good to hear when former players do well when transitioning to areas outside footy playing.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why did Chappy or Fages mention about the $750k transport levy and the $400k sanfl payments plus whatever else adds up to $2 mil of extra expenditure that AFC pays out. Intimating we could be adding it to our bottom line if we didn't pay these costs. But another poster points out that we'd lose members if we don't supply free transport.

In QLD there is free public transport to all sporting events of all codes, the clubs don't have to pay anything.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
I like how our memberships are more expensive than Ports so we can subsidise their cheaper ones.

Great work Triggy and now Fages continuing the tradition of raising our membership each year.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Also like how the transport levy we pay is used by everyone coming into town gameday. All the hipsters catch it for free, no worries crows members are paying for my ride today.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I like how our memberships are more expensive than Ports so we can subsidise their cheaper ones.

Great work Triggy and now Fages continuing the tradition of raising our membership each year.
Whats your point.

Back