Crows 2019 injury and fitness thread with regular updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is we don’t know that they’ve addressed this internally. The real issue here is the boys club appointment and on that there is crickets. What happens next time we have to fill a role?
The AFL industry as a whole is a "Boys Club". It really is a small industry and few appointments are made outside of former colleagues and mates.

Happens at every club. We may not know the connections, appointee may not have played for said club, but the network is there. Few people come into a club without knowing someone in that club.

We have the compounded issue of being in Adelaide. Look at Port. Full of ex players from both Port and us in the coaches box. Why would assistant coaches or other prominent support staff take a job here unless they want to live in SA when there are 10 other clubs in Victoria.

The insular nature of the sport at the top level is an unfortunate consequence of how small our sport really is. Unlike Soccer and even both forms of Rugby there is very little.expertise outside of a few states in Australia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The AFL industry as a whole is a "Boys Club". It really is a small industry and few appointments are made outside of former colleagues and mates.

Happens at every club. We may not know the connections, appointee may not have played for said club, but the network is there. Few people come into a club without knowing someone in that club.

We have the compounded issue of being in Adelaide. Look at Port. Full of ex players from both Port and us in the coaches box. Why would assistant coaches or other prominent support staff take a job here unless they want to live in SA when there are 10 other clubs in Victoria.

The insular nature of the sport at the top level is an unfortunate consequence of how small our sport really is. Unlike Soccer and even both forms of Rugby there is very little.expertise outside of a few states in Australia.

Do you know of any other example where a good mate of a key board member was recruited with a poor record and then promoted into a role he had no qualifications for?

You can’t even bring yourself to say his name :)

As for being brushed aside, that’s ironic.

But Gibbs on the wing would work
No reason we couldn’t rotate Gibbs, Sloane on a wing (as well as inside the square) if greenwood came in.

M Crouch B Crouch Sloane Gibbs Greenwood ?Milera gives us plenty of options for the centre square (on milera, was interesting Worsfokd saying the 666 rule means he is looking at non traditional midfielders starting at restarts, guys like saad Fantasia tippa etc “who can find the small openings” for those burst clearances. That’s Milera.)

Milera and Smith could rotate off wing also

Also greenwood could start forward at centre stoppages with a Jones/knight starting at the wing.

Plenty of varied options and the wing becomes a good place to mix things up without losing structured

No reason we couldn’t rotate Gibbs, Sloane on a wing (as well as inside the square) if greenwood came in.

M Crouch B Crouch Sloane Gibbs Greenwood ?Milera gives us plenty of options for the centre square (on milera, was interesting Worsfokd saying the 666 rule means he is looking at non traditional midfielders starting at restarts, guys like saad Fantasia tippa etc “who can find the small openings” for those burst clearances. That’s Milera.)

Also greenwood could start forward at centre stoppages with a Jones/knight starting at the wing.

Plenty of varied options and the wing becomes a good place to mix things up without losing structured
I like it, tell Don

Do you know of any other example where a good mate of a key board member was recruited with a poor record and then promoted into a role he had no qualifications for?
Nope. As I said it was a s**t hire.

And the club acknowledged this by hiring Saunders.

Who is mates with Burton and the reason why we originally started using the Kangatech program.

Nope. As I said it was a s**t hire.

And the club acknowledged this by hiring Saunders.

Who is mates with Burton and the reason why we originally started using the Kangatech program.

So despite claiming boys club appointments are rife, you can’t provide an example close to what we did.

Plus there is no evidence at all that we’ve learnt internally and would do things differently next time.

All we’ve done is hire someone to fix up the mess and the ****ed up appointment keeps his job and those responsible face no scrutiny.

So despite claiming boys club appointments are rife, you can’t provide an example close to what we did.

Plus there is no evidence at all that we’ve learnt internally and would do things differently next time.

All we’ve done is hire someone to fix up the mess and the ****** up appointment keeps his job and those responsible face no scrutiny.
You said Board Member. There are plenty not involving a Board member directly appointing a mate here. Some good some bad.

I said look at all of Ports appointments recently. All former Port and Crows players.
Another one is Vossy. Shaun Hart already at Port. He is good mates with Vossy. Burgess and Vossy also worked together on The Recruit. He gets a job at Port.

We all know the Campo, Clarke connections etc. Mattner another ex player of ours.
Pykey at our club under Craigy.

Sando working with Bucks now at Collingwood. Well known to be good mates.

Josh Carr is mates with Stewey Dew. He leaves us to work with his mate.

Andrew Russell going to Carlton. He worked with Bolton at Hawthorn.

Simpson comes to an agreement with Clarko to trade for Mitchell as a senior player/ assistant coach.

Similar for Luke Hodge with Fagan coaching Brisbane and being a former assistant coach at Hawthorn.
SoS raiding players from GWS he has a relationship.

I am sure there are plenty more. This is just the really public ones that come to mind as I sit here watching my sons swimming class.

You said Board Member. There are plenty not involving a Board member directly appointing a mate here. Some good some bad.

I said look at all of Ports appointments recently. All former Port and Crows players.
Another one is Vossy. Shaun Hart already at Port. He is good mates with Vossy. Burgess and Vossy also worked together on The Recruit. He gets a job at Port.

We all know the Campo, Clarke connections etc. Mattner another ex player of ours.

Simpson comes to an agreement with Clarko to trade for Mitchell as a senior player/ assistant coach.

Similar for Luke Hodge with Fagan coaching Brisbane and being a former assistant coach at Hawthorn.

I am sure there are plenty more. This is just the really public ones that come to mind as I sit here watching my sons swimming class.

The problem is most of the examples you've cited there were qualified to do the job. They are solid, justifiable appointments

The problem is most of the examples you've cited there were qualified to do the job. They are solid, justifiable appointments
Yes fair point.

I am not defending the club at all in appointing Burton.

I was merely suggesting how insular (and small) the industry is and a lot of hires are based on relationships. Not just qualifications.

Of course people in the industry are going to be employed in the industry, that’s a given and some of the links you’ve tried to tie in are pretty tenuous. Matter, really? Plus most of the people you mentioned are well credentialed, Russell for example.

None of them come close to what we did with Burton, we moved on a fitness guy who was doing a good job to bring in a bestie with a s**t record and then we promoted him.

To try and link the examples you provided with Burton’s is pointless.

And again there is nothing to suggest we’ve handled this internally, the guy still has his job, there has been no scrutiny on those who made the appointment and the only way we will know if they’ve learnt is when we make future appointments.

Yes fair point.

I am not defending the club at all in appointing Burton.

I was merely suggesting how insular (and small) the industry is and a lot of hires are based on relationships. Not just qualifications.

But they were qualified

Apart from him having his job we have no idea if Burton has been penalised or not.

I think fundamentally we agree. I said it was a poor hire. I also am unsure why he still has his job and hope he is good at the role he is doing ie the Management side of Football Operations.

The difference between us is I can see some good coming from it and happy to move on. Others seem to want blood and wont be happy till Burton is gone. Accept that it wont happen.

The only reason I addressed the subject of "Boys Club" was to highlight it is a very much a Boys club. In such a small industry it always will be. Even moreso for us and Port due to a reluctance for many to relocate to SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought using fones were banned in aquatic centers lol.

Am I doing this discredit a thoughtful intelligent post thing right?

This scenario makes us an unprofessional organisation... which is confirmed when we didn't sack him for incompetence... rather just bring in others to cover his ineptness... which we are paying for as members. We are each paying approximately $3 towards Burton...

Mattner has a great background & is qualified for the assistant role with a winning background... so I have no issue.

Burton has a poor record in his previous roles, yet we promote him to a role he does not have the suitable skills for.

See the difference?

Mattner has a great background & is qualified for the assistant role with a winning background... so I have no issue.

Burton has a poor record in his previous roles, yet we promote him to a role he does not have the suitable skills for.

See the difference?

But but Burton is a white man that can jump. He's already proven that limits don't confine him.

On a serious note, was their anyone available and better qualified for his position, that we looked over in favour of him?

No one told me off. Every adult has their phone out.

Don't believe it banned, but in some areas, its frowned upon, Its more about wanting you to watch your child, ie ensure they don't get into trouble.
There a push for watch your Child, not your Mobile.

Sloane often played wing/outside mid before Danger left and he had to play inside

Now with Brad Gibbs Greenwood he could play that role again. Positioning intelligence plus gut running and ability to drift forward and kick goals

Like the Milera idea

Don't believe it banned, but in some areas, its frowned upon, Its more about wanting you to watch your child, ie ensure they don't get into trouble.
There a push for watch your Child, not your Mobile.
Probably not too bad.for that.class. He is only 16 months old and Mrs Geoffa in with him.

But yeah a lot of signs around to that affect.

See the difference?
Yes I do.

Never said the Burton hire was any good.

Sloane often played wing/outside mid before Danger left and he had to play inside

Now with Brad Gibbs Greenwood he could play that role again. Positioning intelligence plus gut running and ability to drift forward and kick goals

Like the Milera idea
I'd sooner Gibbs on the outside as a prime deliverer into the forward line than Rory personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back