Crows 2019 injury and fitness thread with regular updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

So you guys have a source for this right?
Its not just that you think that it should happen because top up players?
The point is to get practice games at “AFL level”, and to see which new kids or which fringe players are putting their hands up (for the main season). Who cares if some are 23 + 1 or 2 years older? Who cares if we win or lose? It’s about preparation and experience for the young lads.

And besides, what if there isn’t enough “under 23” players to form a team? Should they be forfeiting the match?

The point is to get practice games at “AFL level”, and to see which new kids or which fringe players are putting their hands up (for the main season). Who cares if some are 23 + 1 or 2 years older? Who cares if we win or lose? It’s about preparation and experience for the young lads.

And besides, what if there isn’t enough “under 23” players to form a team? Should they be forfeiting the match?
Yep, I can’t believe why anyone gives a s**t about the qualifying criteria for a scratch match.

I’m sure both clubs wouldn’t want to be petty about this as they both will have needs to bend the rules over time if this is to continue.

McPherson is one I really hope gets fit so we can see what he brings to the table. Bugger has a had a s**t run with injury since getting to the club.
Since he’s come to the club?

We were only able to get him because he was an injury disaster prior to the draft.

His brief SANFL cameo last year showed that he is worth the punt. If he can get his body right he will be a fantastic AFL player. BUT..........it’s a big IF.

Hardly worth noting as it is being communicated as little more than a glitch, but an injury none the less and the reason why Elliot Himmelberg is missing today's U23 trial. He has a minor foot injury and is expected to recover for the JLT games, the first of which is scheduled for what is likely to be a very hot Port Pirie. https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-22/young-crow-grounded

Looks like we got through the under 23 trial well. "The only injury concern for the Crows was to forward Ben Davis, who jarred his knee, but the club was confident it was only minor." https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-23/returning-crow-flies

Who does and doesn't get selected in the forthcoming JLT games and how they perform should tell us a bit about those who have a bit of an injury or fitness cloud hanging over them and give us a bit of a clearer picture. All things considered however, it does seem we are in pretty good shape overall injury wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Milera play in the U/23 game?

Jenkins mentioned some hamstring issues
no.
Eddie mentioned he wasn't considered for AFLX as he has been managing some injuries also (including saying he spoke to Milera and told him he'd rather he be dominating for the crows than for him in AFLX so didnt sound like he was going to be physically unable to play, just better not to to not take any risk)

Did Milera play in the U/23 game?

Jenkins mentioned some hamstring issues

JJ said there was only one player in our squad not participating in the training session tomorrow. Presumably this is McPherson so that indicates Milera will play in JLT1.

I suspect that we didn’t make The Wayne available for AFLX so we were obliged to “rest” him from the Under 23 trial match.

Can’t help but feel Greenwood won’t be taking the next step in 2019. He did ok last season off an interrupted pre-season but hasn’t had a full summer preparation once again.

Can’t help but feel Greenwood won’t be taking the next step in 2019. He did ok last season off an interrupted pre-season but hasn’t had a full summer preparation once again.

Just can’t take a preseason trick that bloke. Current injury list means that he’ll not need to be rushed in underdone. We might see a mini preseason type scenario and he hit the ground running a few rounds in. Here’s hoping anyway.

Just can’t take a preseason trick that bloke. Current injury list means that he’ll not need to be rushed in underdone. We might see a mini preseason type scenario and he hit the ground running a few rounds in. Here’s hoping anyway.
This Greenwood fella appears to be following the trend of BCrouch - rarely able to perform a full preseason and rarely able to play out a full season!

I agree that we hopefully don’t rush him to play for Rd 1 if he’s not yet up to it. I’d much rather a Greenwood who can last the season’s journey, than the usual Greenwood who runs on one leg or runs out of gas towards the finishing line!

That makes sense but clubs never seem to do this. Even when we say Tex is doing it during the season we still cut it short.

That makes sense but clubs never seem to do this. Even when we say Tex is doing it during the season we still cut it short.
We need to assume he won't play before the bye and use the first 10 weeks or so to continue his preseason, building his fitness base.

Short term pain, long term gain

To be honest after last year with Tex I really doubt the validity of a 'mini preseason'. It sounds nice and all, but a preseason is a grueling 4-5 month's cumulative build of aerobic and anaerobic capacity. Way outside the spec's of the training regime in the regular season.

Doing it over 4 weeks (or 2 weeks in Tex's case) is like trying to train for a marathon by walking around the block 3 times a week.

We need to assume he won't play before the bye and use the first 10 weeks or so to continue his preseason, building his fitness base.

Short term pain, long term gain
Totally agree. The AFL is too taxing to play even 1 underdone guy these days.

If we only learn 1 thing from 2018 (and lets hope we learned more then that), its that regardless of talent level, playing unfit blokes = losses.... Many many Losses

To be honest after last year with Tex I really doubt the validity of a 'mini preseason'. It sounds nice and all, but a preseason is a grueling 4-5 month's cumulative build of aerobic and anaerobic capacity. Way outside the spec's of the training regime in the regular season.

Doing it over 4 weeks (or 2 weeks in Tex's case) is like trying to train for a marathon by walking around the block 3 times a week.

I don't think Tex's body was right and his form wasn't to do with his fitness. He tried to come back too early because he was captain and thought he needed to. He needed more recovery, not more laps.

I don't think Tex's body was right and his form wasn't to do with his fitness. He tried to come back too early because he was captain and thought he needed to. He needed more recovery, not more laps.

He admitted that he was having hamstring issues that was affecting him training when they interviewed him at half time during the Bulldogs game. The mini preseason thing was about as legitimate as Knight being "managed".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back