Crows 2019 injury and fitness thread with regular updates.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I invite all here to join me in providing ongoing updates and news on players injuries and fitness levels throughout the coming season. Having a fit and healthy list with few key players injured will enhance the teams chances of doing well.

At the moment we seem to be in very good shape. According to the recent article below no one is in doubt for round 1. The article also provides us with an update on Greenwood. It is encouraging to read that he is doing a lot of running:

"Hugh Greenwood: Has been on a modified program with an abdominal tendon injury and is yet to rejoin the main group but is getting through plenty of running. However, the midfielder should be available for the start of the season."

Knight is not mentioned, so hopefully one can assume that he is back on track.

Andrew McPerson is mentioned in a cautionary way yet, and I stand to be corrected, I believe we have seen pictures of him participating in the clubs internal match simulation trials.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-09/wheres-your-club-at-preseason-update-injuries-and-more

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
Updates on Talia, Hartigan, Greenwood and B Crocuh here. As things look at the moment, it seems like the only one who might be a bit underdone come round 1 is Greenwood, and even he should be ramping it up by then. Lets hope things can stay pretty positive on the injury front as the season progresses.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-12/injured-crows-on-track

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Suspiciously no mention of Macpherson
Mentioned the previous day on the website..

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-11/preseason-in-a-nutshell

Andrew McPherson: It's been a slow and steady build-up for the second-year defender, who has been managing a groin issue. Getting through plenty of running at training, but there is no timeline on his return. Missed most of last season with groin and hamstring injuries.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mentioned the previous day on the website..

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-11/preseason-in-a-nutshell

Andrew McPherson: It's been a slow and steady build-up for the second-year defender, who has been managing a groin issue. Getting through plenty of running at training, but there is no timeline on his return. Missed most of last season with groin and hamstring injuries.
I think McPherson's injury plagued first 2 preseasons will really hurt his opportunity as an AFL player. Its a shame cause I did like him as a junior, but it looks like with Hamill drafted this year and a very full backline of small to mediums defenders, A.McP will struggle to find a role even if he comes back to full fitness.

I hope I'm wrong for his sake

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I think McPherson's injury plagued first 2 preseasons will really hurt his opportunity as an AFL player. Its a shame cause I did like him as a junior, but it looks like with Hamill drafted this year and a very full backline of small to mediums defenders, A.McP will struggle to find a role even if he comes back to full fitness.

I hope I'm wrong for his sake
Don't be pigeon holing Hamill as a half back flanker....I've seen him play some midfield and excel when given a run through there....I'm certain the long term plan with Hamill will be midfield similar to Milera once he builds up his body and core strength. Of this last lot of draftees he's the one with the most pure class just needs to work on his physique and strength. Sholl is the medium defender/accumulator in this lot of draftees.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't be pigeon holing Hamill as a half back flanker....I've seen him play some midfield and excel when given a run through there....I'm certain the long term plan with Hamill will be midfield similar to Milera once he builds up his body and core strength. Of this last lot of draftees he's the one with the most pure class just needs to work on his physique and strength. Sholl is the medium defender/accumulator in this lot of draftees.
Could definitely see it with Hamill, I was more looking at the short term regarding him and McPherson, but yeah long term he could be certainly roll through the mid.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Updates on Talia, Hartigan, Greenwood and B Crocuh here. As things look at the moment, it seems like the only one who might be a bit underdone come round 1 is Greenwood, and even he should be ramping it up by then. Lets hope things can stay pretty positive on the injury front as the season progresses.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-12/injured-crows-on-track

Disappointing re Greenwood, need him to get his tank up to midfielder levels but seems to never be able to get through a preseason. Hopefully we don’t finish his preseason at the bare minimum and instead extend it into the season proper.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here is the latest update regarding injuries. Brown is the latest inclusion. It is hoped he will play in the second of our JLT games against the Giants on March 8th along with Greenwood.

"Adelaide defender Luke Brown is expected to miss the start of the JLT Community Series with an Achilles and ankle issue.

Brown was restricted to interval running and agility work at the Crows' session at West Lakes on Thursday morning.

The injury is a reoccurrence of the one the 26-year-old sustained in the round 12 loss to Fremantle last year that forced him to miss three weeks.

Brown is a chance of playing in the Crows' second JLT game against Greater Western Sydney in Canberra on March 8, but isn't considered in doubt for Round One.

Midfielder Hugh Greenwood is also hoping to be available for the match with the Giants as he continues his recovery from an abdominal tendon injury, while key defenders Daniel Talia (knee) and Kyle Hartigan (knees) are expected to play some part in the JLT Series as well...

...Second-year defender Andrew McPherson is the only player on the Crows' list expected to be unavailable for the start of the season as the club takes a cautious approach to his recovery from a groin issue..."

Talia and Hartigan seem to be tracking well and Brad Crouch is in full training and may even play in the under 23 trial game Saturday week. All in all a pretty healthy picture seems to be portrayed.

See full article here: http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-14/brown-on-modified-duties

Harris Pilton

All Australian
Aug 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here is the latest update regarding injuries. Brown is the latest inclusion. It is hoped he will play in the second of our JLT games against the Giants on March 8th along with Greenwood.

"Adelaide defender Luke Brown is expected to miss the start of the JLT Community Series with an Achilles and ankle issue.

Brown was restricted to interval running and agility work at the Crows' session at West Lakes on Thursday morning.

The injury is a reoccurrence of the one the 26-year-old sustained in the round 12 loss to Fremantle last year that forced him to miss three weeks.

Brown is a chance of playing in the Crows' second JLT game against Greater Western Sydney in Canberra on March 8, but isn't considered in doubt for Round One.

Midfielder Hugh Greenwood is also hoping to be available for the match with the Giants as he continues his recovery from an abdominal tendon injury, while key defenders Daniel Talia (knee) and Kyle Hartigan (knees) are expected to play some part in the JLT Series as well...

...Second-year defender Andrew McPherson is the only player on the Crows' list expected to be unavailable for the start of the season as the club takes a cautious approach to his recovery from a groin issue..."

Talia and Hartigan seem to be tracking well and Brad Crouch is in full training and may even play in the under 23 trial game Saturday week. All in all a pretty healthy picture seems to be portrayed.

See full article here: http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-14/brown-on-modified-duties

How is Brad Crouch up for an under 23’s game, when he recently turned 25?

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wonder how fit Tex and Sauce actually are. Both have played with obvious discomfort over the past 2 years. If both aren’t in pain they should improve on their 2018 outputs.
I get the feeling if there was ever a premiership won in the medical room...this year could be it.
We all know how damaging Sloan and Walker can be. Brouch is critical to us having midfield dominance. We desperatly need Jacobs in good nic.
No one can say we dont have the cattle to win it....or the talent. Ironically Jenkins had a good year injury wise in 2018...and look how he played.
A good run with injuries and the key players pain free in September....just like Richmond had in 2017...fingers crossed.

I get the feeling if there was ever a premiership won in the medical room...this year could be it.
We all know how damaging Sloan and Walker can be. Brouch is critical to us having midfield dominance. We desperatly need Jacobs in good nic.
No one can say we dont have the cattle to win it....or the talent. Ironically Jenkins had a good year injury wise in 2018...and look how he played.
A good run with injuries and the key players pain free in September....just like Richmond had in 2017...fingers crossed.

Jacobs needs to be deliberately managed this year and rested in games where we can afford to give him a break esp games against bottom 4 Clubs.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Under 23 is for under 23.
If they wanted older players they would have made it under 25.
It's a practice match. I'm sure they would check with Port to make sure they don't have a problem with it, which they wouldn't. Would you rather teams played top up SANFL players and players that need match practice ran laps ?? How does this not make sense. The u/23's part is a selling point and something which will likely continue annually during pre season. But the match is predominantly for the young players to wet their feet.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It's a practice match. I'm sure they would check with Port to make sure they don't have a problem with it, which they wouldn't. Would you rather teams played top up SANFL players and players that need match practice ran laps ?? How does this not make sense. The u/23's part is a selling point and something which will likely continue annually during pre season. But the match is predominantly for the young players to wet their feet.
Exactly it gives us a chance for every player to play 2/3 games. So the first game mainly kids with a few players like Crouch who need match practice. Then our JLT games for our preferred round one team

Back