Crows 2019 injury and fitness thread with regular updates.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Brown is a loss, no doubting that. Kelly will do a serviceable job though. Obviously not as good, but at his best he will do well enough.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Using the U23 game as a guide Lachlan Sholl would be more deserving at this point.

Neither Hamill or Sholl should be anywhere near our team this year. I'd rather go Mackay, Murphy, Knight, Douglas off the top of my head as players that I would just stick there before I exposed these young draftees. Unless we want to go down the Carlton path of destroying players these two kids are nowhere near ready.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've always wanted to find out if Kelly could play on smalls. This could be the perfect opportunity.

Otherwise id happy to give Jones a crack. Would be great learning opportunity. Similar to how Essendon have used Magrath early on.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Brown is a loss, no doubting that. Kelly will do a serviceable job though. Obviously not as good, but at his best he will do well enough.
What about Murphy ? ....hard tackler, didn't he start as a Defender ??

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Neither Hamill or Sholl should be anywhere near our team this year. I'd rather go Mackay, Murphy, Knight, Douglas off the top of my head as players that I would just stick there before I exposed these young draftees. Unless we want to go down the Carlton path of destroying players these two kids are nowhere near ready.
My reference was to the U23 game and the suggestion Will Hamill might be in contention when Lachlan Sholl clearly outperformed him.

And I don't necessarily agree that neither should be anywhere near our team either....the criteria should be based purely on performance.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What about Murphy ? ....hard tackler, didn't he start as a Defender ??
Got upgraded from the SANFL off some stellar performances mainly off the HBF/BP in his 1st year with us. Previously he'd played exclusively midfield for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup Comp and Ivanhoe Grammar in the Vic Schoolboys Competition.

The first player drafted from Adelaide’s SANFL development squad, Murphy earns an opportunity as a rookie. The skilful and courageous small defender played every game for the SANFL Crows and won the Dean Bailey Award as the Club’s best and most dedicated development player. He also finished fourth in Adelaide’s State League Club Champion count. Murphy played as an inside midfielder in the TAC Cup where he won the Northern Knights best and fairest award from just 10 games in 2016. Despite his stature, the courageous 18-year-old is strong overhead and tough to beat one-on-one.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Inst Hamel more a close down defender, while Scholl is more Half back running type.
Either way, it adds one more Player capable of covering Brown loss.
Actually they played very similar roles mostly across half back in the TAC Comp, certainly wouldn't class Hamill or Sholl as a close down defenders on what I've seen of the 2 lads over here. Both very good foot skills but Hamill quicker and he'd certainly have a clear "class" edge and more scope to play other positions up field going forward with his development.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kelly is definitely the replacement for Brown. Obviously a loss but he can cover it. I don't think pace is all that important, sure you might end up in a foot race occasionally but most of the time it's about positioning and working the structure, and Kelly is good at it.

If things get out of hand, Laird can move onto the player instead. We lose a bit of offensive drive by putting him in a defensive role, but with Smith and Milera going through there we have enough.

And hey, if worse comes to worse, just tell Hartigan that the small each week is Robbie Gray and let him go to work :p

I guess Brown was 2-4 weeks away anyway, so this just adds a month. It's a shame, he's an important player.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just found the following Bigfooty.com injury thread with a list of all the injuries at all of the clubs. It was right up to date, for the Crows at least. Does anyone know anything about the thread and what sources it uses? https://www.bigfooty.com/2019/03/injury-update-afl-pre-season/

Adelaide
Luke Brown Ankle 8 weeks

Bryce Gibbs Shoulder Test

Hugh Greenwood Abdominal Test

Riley Knight Foot Test

David Mackay AC joint Test

Andrew McPherson Groin TBC

Daniel Talia Knee Test

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just found the following Bigfooty.com injury thread with a list of all the injuries at all of the clubs. It was right up to date, for the Crows at least. Does anyone know anything about the thread and what sources it uses? https://www.bigfooty.com/2019/03/injury-update-afl-pre-season/

Adelaide
Luke Brown Ankle 8 weeks

Bryce Gibbs Shoulder Test

Riley Knight Foot Test

Daniel Talia Knee Test

It's straight off the AFL website.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
What I find interesting with this injury list (see below) which was updated today is that they have Shane McAdam listed as managed but add a time frame to it, namely one week.

Luke Brown Ankle 8 weeks

Ben Davis Managed 1 week

Bryce Gibbs Shoulder Available

Elliott Himmelberg Foot 2 weeks

Riley Knight Foot Test

Shane McAdam Managed 1 week

Daniel Talia Knee Available

Updated: Wednesday, March 6

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-05/injury-list-every-clubs-medical-room-ahead-of-jlt2

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
What I find interesting with this injury list (see below) which was updated today is that they have Shane McAdam listed as managed but add a time frame to it, namely one week.

Luke Brown Ankle 8 weeks

Ben Davis Managed 1 week

Riley Knight Foot Test

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-05/injury-list-every-clubs-medical-room-ahead-of-jlt2
Also Davis mentioned as same. :)
Not sure why they didn't mention the body region of "managed".

Hopefully "managed" + "1 week" = "resting minor niggles and will be a sure thing to return the week after"

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Got upgraded from the SANFL off some stellar performances mainly off the HBF/BP in his 1st year with us. Previously he'd played exclusively midfield for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup Comp and Ivanhoe Grammar in the Vic Schoolboys Competition.

The first player drafted from Adelaide’s SANFL development squad, Murphy earns an opportunity as a rookie. The skilful and courageous small defender played every game for the SANFL Crows and won the Dean Bailey Award as the Club’s best and most dedicated development player. He also finished fourth in Adelaide’s State League Club Champion count. Murphy played as an inside midfielder in the TAC Cup where he won the Northern Knights best and fairest award from just 10 games in 2016. Despite his stature, the courageous 18-year-old is strong overhead and tough to beat one-on-one.

I'm sold.

Kelly or Murphy.

Kelly dependable, but wouldn't mind seeing Murphy given an opportunity; could be a stroke of genius.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has anyone witnessed a "fit" McPherson eversince we've picked him up?
Would like to see him play one day, hopefully this year!
Yes, I saw him play in our Twos last year and he looked very composed and ready to step into the AFL. His third match was against Sturt at Unley Oval and his hammy exploded. He was then put in cottonwool so he would get a flying start to the preseason. It seems that once his hammy was better, his groin problems returned.

Other than very dodgy hamstrings and groins, he has a perfect physique for AFL :eek:.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Luke Brown Ankle 8 weeks

Ben Davis Managed 1 week

Riley Knight Foot Test

The last player that we managed for a week was Riley Knight who was back and ready to go only 5-6 weeks later.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Luke Brown Ankle 8 weeks

Ben Davis Managed 1 week

Riley Knight Foot Test

Will need a fit Himmelberg, Mcadam and Davis this. All 3 may be very useful at the pointy end of the season if we have tired or injured players. The ruck situation will be interesting to watch if Jacob's ruckwork totally falls off a cliff which i suspect it will. The club obviously has a contingency plan in place of using one of ROB, Paul Hunter or Himmelberg. I would presume Jacob's has been promised a certain amount of games to prove himself otherwise he will be dropped. I would say 3 games at this stage. If he loses all 3 i feel pretty confident we will have a different ruck setup by round 4. Moving forward the club must trade in a decent ruck end of year as it's single biggest priority.

Last edited:

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
"Defender Brown is the only player in the Crows' best 22 unavailable for round one. Midfielder/forward Gallucci has been managing a foot injury and should return for next week's SANFL trial against Port Adelaide. Key position player Himmelberg has been tracking well after dealing with a plantar fascia injury. Half-back flanker McPherson is also set to make his return from a groin injury that he's carried most of the pre-season. - Lee Gaskin"
https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-03-12/injury-list-update

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
Yes, I saw him play in our Twos last year and he looked very composed and ready to step into the AFL. His third match was against Sturt at Unley Oval and his hammy exploded. He was then put in cottonwool so he would get a flying start to the preseason. It seems that once his hammy was better, his groin problems returned.

Other than very dodgy hamstrings and groins, he has a perfect physique for AFL :eek:.

If footy didn't involve running, he'd be fine.

Back