Analysis Crows 23 or under in ‘23 - the young brigade

Remove this Banner Ad

Rachele playing more as a midfielder who spends time forward & will increase his midfield minutes as he builds his tank. Playing more midfield than Pedlar.

Sholl is a wingman not a defender.
Nothing’s really set in concrete as yet. Rachele looks capable in both positions, and if we have enough midfielders coming through the ranks, no reason why Rachele can’t be a more regular forward with stints in the midfield in the coming years.

Sholl, likewise, seems capable of doing both positions.

Definitely seeing Pedlar get the same development next year this as he build his fitness as Rachele this year. Both will be very rare genuine goal kicking midfielders.
View attachment 1661175
View attachment 1661183
I think the clear difference this year is our young crop have a lot of versatility. Potential mids in Berry, Pedlar, Soligo, Rachele are all capable of kicking goals.

Potential forwards in Rankine and Fog look capable of playing in midfield in stints. Thilthorpe progressing well with dual ruck/forward. Jones/Max can play in several spots etc.

Nothing’s really set in concrete as yet. Rachele looks capable in both positions, and if we have enough midfielders coming through the ranks, no reason why Rachele can’t be a more regular forward with stints in the midfield in the coming years.

Disagree - we are starting Rachele as a midfielder this year because this is where we see him playing most of his football. We need his class on ball. He will reduce not increase his time forward next year.

Sholl has hardly played in defence! He is a natural wingman.

No, Rachele moving to being a full time midfielder is set in stone, as evidenced by our usage in the last year and a quarter. It's not about having more midfielders coming through the ranks, it's that Rachele is on an elite mid. trajectory at this point which dictates it.

Not only is the move set in stone, but Adelaides premierships hopes once we're out of this rebuild hinges on it.

No, Rachele moving to being a full time midfielder is set in stone, as evidenced by our usage in the last year and a quarter. It's not about having more midfielders coming through the ranks, it's that Rachele is on an elite mid. trajectory at this point which dictates it.

Not only is the move set in stone, but Adelaides premierships hopes once we're out of this rebuild hinges on it.
As far as I’m concerned, nothing needs to be set in stone at this stage. And nothing wrong with developing versatility. Rachele is too good not to play as a forward in stints, even if he becomes more a midfielder. You can see how happy he gets when he scores, and he just has that natural forward instinct that you can’t coach.

Him and Rankine have the potential to be the best duo of small forwards in the comp, so I doubt if Nicks is definite on placing him as a permanent midfielder. I’d be happy wherever he plays though as long as he keeps with the trajectory!

As far as I’m concerned, nothing needs to be set in stone at this stage. And nothing wrong with developing versatility. Rachele is too good not to play as a forward in stints, even if he becomes more a midfielder. You can see how happy he gets when he scores, and he just has that natural forward instinct that you can’t coach.

Him and Rankine have the potential to be the best duo of small forwards in the comp, so I doubt if Nicks is definite on placing him as a permanent midfielder. I’d be happy wherever he plays though as long as he keeps with the trajectory!
Try watching who starts in the centre square at centre bounces...

It's looking more like that we have more decent youngsters than Port.

They have some great young talent but think we have a deeper list.

Not unexpected given we have been rebuilding.
IMO the youngsters are of similar quality ....however our depth is greater

The real difference is PORT's talls are on their last legs ....ours are at the start of their journey

Anytime you are dealing with elite talent, things are set in stone, because they are the keystones in any rebuild. Versatility are for the others who aren't as good or important.

For Rachele, the only thing that'll change his path now is a serious injury. Otherwise, he'll be a full time midfielder this time next year, and we're already building to that. The moment a player flashes being an elite midfielder, everything else they offer is thrown out the window, so to say.

Anytime you are dealing with elite talent, things are set in stone, because they are the keystones in any rebuild. Versatility are for the others who aren't as good or important.

For Rachele, the only thing that'll change his path now is a serious injury. Otherwise, he'll be a full time midfielder this time next year, and we're already building to that. The moment a player flashes being an elite midfielder, everything else they offer is thrown out the window, so to say.
I see Rachele as having potential eliteness in both spots. If he can be good at both, why be rigid with his position?

Another way of looking at it, if the midfield seems to be breaking even, but our forward line isn’t functioning well, would you consider moving Rachele up forward for a quarter or two? Do you think Nicks would think “let’s try Laird/Berry/Soligo up forward, but Rachele MUST stay midfield as that’s his elite spot”?

I see Rachele as having potential eliteness in both spots. If he can be good at both, why be rigid with his position?

Another way of looking at it, if the midfield seems to be breaking even, but our forward line isn’t functioning well, would you consider moving Rachele up forward for a quarter or two? Do you think Nicks would think “let’s try Laird/Berry/Soligo up forward, but Rachele MUST stay midfield as that’s his elite spot”?

You keep Rachele in the midfield in that situation. You don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Actually, you probably just whole heartily commit to the set up with the midfield breaking even and the forward line not functioning as you're at least not getting burned as heavily the other way.

That's not factoring that in this situation - that forward line boasts Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Rankine. You especially commit in that situation as those three aren't being contained for four quarters.

It's rigid because inside midfield is just that much more important than the forward line. The only point you'd consider moving Rachele to the forward line is to keep him on the ground whilst he's having a breather.

I was reasonably upbeat with this young group at the beginning of the year. Now I’m liking this group of 23 or under A LOT.

Fog, Soligo, Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar, Max, Murray, Parnell, Jones.. A lot of them are clicking in unison, and they look hungry.

All look likely 200+ gamers. Parnell in particular, has really surprised me with his skills mixed with aggression at the contest. His game reminds me of Laird actually. Good accumulator, non-fussy type, and a good footy brain. The kind of bloke you sort of dismiss because they’re small and look like a 10th-grader, but hell, they don’t shy away from contests!

We had 12 first rounders playing on sunday
Brodie smith
Tom Doedee
Wayne Milera
Isaac Rankine
Riley Thilthorpe
Max Michalanney
Luke pedlar
Jordan Dawson via trade
Josh Rachele
Chayce Jones
Ned McHenry
Darcy Fogarty

Wow didn’t really think about it until now

We had 12 first rounders playing on sunday
Brodie smith
Tom Doedee
Wayne Milera
Isaac Rankine
Riley Thilthorpe
Max Michalanney
Luke pedlar
Jordan Dawson via trade
Josh Rachele
Chayce Jones
Ned McHenry
Darcy Fogarty

Wow didn’t really think about it until now
Dawson wasn't a first round pick initially though, was around 40 off memory. Yes we gave up a first rounder for him and still got a bargain but is a perfect example of top draft picks not the only high end talent around.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just some further thoughts on our young crop at AFL level:
  • we have a very solid spine from defense to midfield/wing and up forward:
  • defense - Butts, Murray, Max and Parnell
  • midfield/forward - Soligo, Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar
  • wings - Jones, Sholl.
  • forward/ruck - RT, Fog.

Berry is around the mark and deserves some more games this year. Hamill and Worrell also seems around the mark. Looking forward to seeing Cook, Nankervis and Taylor being tried some games this year while some of the regulars get some games of rest.

Something worth mentioning is that our core group of young players are seemingly naturally versatile. They’re capable of being switched around in various spots, which makes our game a lot more unpredictable for the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back