- Oct 6, 2012
- AFL Club
The other thing that’s happened over the past year or two is that we’ve played the kids to develop them.One of the few things that I have in common with the Tools and Trolls is that we have not ruthlessly targeted premierships and have been content with always being “competitive” (until recent years).
We were not the Best Team in 1997 and 1998 and this clearly influenced our “make the Eight and anything can happen” approach.
Since the end of 2019 we have embarked on a total rebuild.
1) We have turned over most of our list
2) We have drafted a heap of youngsters (some good, some not so good) and we have a record (for us) of top 15 draft picks on our list
3) We have not traded in anyone over 25 years of age.
4) In the last 3 years we have player DOUBLE the AFL average for sub50 game players. We have played nearly 40% more Kids than the second team on this list (Essendon).
5) We have traded in two potentially elite players who will be with the club for many years.
This doesn’t mean we will win a flag in the next 5 years but you can’t argue that we are giving it a crack.
When was the last time we had guys like Sam Berry and Jake Soligo come in and play almost every game from the day they arrived at the club? Not since Blight.