2nds Crows AFL Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

I will argue with the above.

The Crows are a powerhouse on the back of SANFL funds, FFS the Crows paid for their AFL licence plus were gauged every year by the SANFL - we were (still are) their cash cow. Thats not emotive sentiment that is a fact.

Whilst paying for junior development the number of SA lads taken over the last 30 years is nothing to hang your hat on plus they are drafted, not for the benefit of the Crows.

The SANFL did a great job building and developing Footy Park however it was not taken from them, they were able to sell the land AND were still gifted riches in perpertuity via the SMA AND they got the Crows to buy their AFL licence again!!

But yeah they survive and operate on their own merits.
The sanfl bought both licences and leased them to the clubs

What are you on about

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The sanfl bought both licences and leased them to the clubs

What are you on about

We paid that off in our first 10 years, it was an expense of 400k per year on top of what the SANFL made on our gamedays.

Edit: Only talking about our licence, Port never paid back their full amount and as we know the SANFL actually had to give them money to keep them afloat.

I will argue with the above.

The Crows are a powerhouse on the back of SANFL funds, FFS the Crows paid for their AFL licence plus were gauged every year by the SANFL - we were (still are) their cash cow. Thats not emotive sentiment that is a fact.

Whilst paying for junior development the number of SA lads taken over the last 30 years is nothing to hang your hat on plus they are drafted, not for the benefit of the Crows.

The SANFL did a great job building and developing Footy Park however it was not taken from them, they were able to sell the land AND were still gifted riches in perpertuity via the SMA AND they got the Crows to buy their AFL licence again!!

But yeah they survive and operate on their own merits.
This revisionism ignores the reality of why the crows exist in the first place, and how they were able to exist and prosper.

The crows exist because of the strength of the SANFL in the 80s. That strength was underpinned by the SANFL taking the radical step of moving away from cricket dominated AO and forging it's own path, with its own facility. You do recall, I trust, that the lease of the facilities held by the AFC at footy park are a mere fraction of commercial value?

The SANFL had every right to be compensated for the move from Footy park. They weren't "gifted" anything. They owned the facility. The AFL wanted to renig on an agreement. Did you expect the SANFL to roll over on the very agreement it set up to underpin the ongoing financial health of the organisation? If so, you're dreaming.

As I mentioned earlier, the external issues that existed when the crows entered the AFL no longer exist. Change is necessary and I've been an advocate for change at junior level for a long time. But those who are critical of the SANFL are either misinformed or agenda driven, and I would suggest caution when throwing your eggs in the AFL basket. The Victorians have never shown any due care for football outside of their own state, so it's fantasy to think that they suddenly will now. Change at head office needs to accompany any change to the stewardship of junior development in SA and WA.

We paid that off in our first 10 years, it was an expense of 400k per year on top of what the SANFL made on our gamedays.

Edit: Only talking about our licence, Port never paid back their full amount and as we know the SANFL actually had to give them money to keep them afloat.
You actually just undermined your own argument. The SANFL bought the license. Making the crows "pay it back" was merely accounting. Just the same as any other parent company providing seed capital to a start up subsidiary. They further underpinned the subsidiary by providing peppercorn lease terms for facilities. In doing so, the SANFL provided a team that all of us could get behind, a situation far more commercially attractive to the VFL than the alternative and, I'm assuming, far more attractive to you, unless you would have preferred to follow Port in a national competition. And they did it in a commercially responsible manner, ensuring their own financial security was maintained. Just like you'd expect any other 100 year old organisation to behave. Their only mistake was bankrolling port, which nearly broke them.

I don't think there's any need to rewrite history when making a case for change.

You don't understand do you

When you rent or lease something you do know what that means

There is never ownership unless you buy it off the lessor

These are the same moronic discussions I’ve had with Port supporters over the last 15 years. I’m sure the AFL has some sort of dumbing down effect on some people.

These are the same moronic discussions I’ve had with Port supporters over the last 15 years. I’m sure the AFL has some sort of dumbing down effect on some people.
It's the very reason why history repeats, in all facets of life. People are prone to memory loss where it serves their purpose.

Strange type of lease if you can just stop paying it after 10 years, I bet all the publicans out there would like to go into business with the SANFL if they could stop paying a lease after 10 years. No wonder they ran up so much debt.

Regardless how you want to dress it up I was arguing that the AFC became a powerhouse due to the funding of the SANFL - to me that sounds like the SANFL poured millions into the AFC where the bottom line clearly shows it was the other way around.

Once again I havent seen anyone say the SANFL didn't do a great job with SA footy until the AFC came along, IMO they didnt cope/handle/change very well since then, if you guys think they have done a good job since the AFC came in - fair enough, I don't.

They were determined to be the second best comp in the land to the detriment of many things including developing elite juniors.

This is only my opinion and views.
This will not happen for a few years, the AFL will have a medium-term agenda, for this to tie in with the next media rite chats.
First get the Women comp up and viable to TV ratings,
Then in about 2020 they start a national reserve comp, gives them a year or two to iron out the faults
Then negotiate the TV rites, in 2021/22.
After that, they will tackle getting control of the junior competition, or work on a State by State 2nd tier women comp
By 2028 the AFL will be pushing to be in control of a lot more, than the AFL, AFLR, AFLW, and AFLX overseas
They will add control of all the top junior comps from 16 to 18, and all the tier 2 women's comps, in conjunction with the state leagues, maybe not free to air or pay TV but definitely, they would be pushing into the online market.

And with that they can demand what they want for TV rites in 2028, As by then they would have their Online media department running a lot better than it is today, Either thru getting the right people or using startups companies to run and spread it. ie Like the Adelaide Sports & Entertainment company

Why do I think that's the way they are heading because it's what I would be doing, Control the game but more importantly you do not sell it you grow it.

Personally, I would do some homework and look into this area for investment opportunities,
As by 2040 TV rites and Pay TV (Foxtell) will be the new Kodak and Nokia.

Strange type of lease if you can just stop paying it after 10 years, I bet all the publicans out there would like to go into business with the SANFL if they could stop paying a lease after 10 years. No wonder they ran up so much debt.

Regardless how you want to dress it up I was arguing that the AFC became a powerhouse due to the funding of the SANFL - to me that sounds like the SANFL poured millions into the AFC where the bottom line clearly shows it was the other way around.

Once again I havent seen anyone say the SANFL didn't do a great job with SA footy until the AFC came along, IMO they didnt cope/handle/change very well since then, if you guys think they have done a good job since the AFC came in - fair enough, I don't.

They were determined to be the second best comp in the land to the detriment of many things including developing elite juniors.
Yes. Wasn't a lease. Was a license payment. 4 million over 10 years. SANFL and Crows were one and the same then though weren't though? Ie. Crows owned by SANFL?

Yes. Wasn't a lease. Was a license payment. 4 million over 10 years. SANFL and Crows were one and the same then though weren't though? Ie. Crows owned by SANFL?

Yay, someone understands it was a licence payment the crows paid off- not a lease.

Then 20 years later we paid for our licence again.

I think the no AFL in SANFL fanbois are the revisionists trying to push how benevolent the Sanfl have been to the AFC.

I can remember how hard it was for the AFC to get decent training facilities, how the sanfl commission had us jumping through hoops to spend our money.

The clubs were "they dont need all that" despite delivering millions to them via footy park crowds. This was for our first basic training facility not the upgraded one now.

Have a chat to Cornsey to see how obstructive the Sanfl clubs were via the commission.

Yay, someone understands it was a licence payment the crows paid off- not a lease.

I think the no AFL in SANFL fanbois are the revisionists trying to push how benevolent the Sanfl have been to the AFC.

I can remember how hard it was for the AFC to get decent training facilities, how the sanfl commission had us jumping through hoops to spend our money.

The clubs were "they dont need all that" despite delivering millions to them via footy park crowds. This was for our first basic training facility not the upgraded one now.

Have a chat to Cornsey to see how obstructive the Sanfl clubs were via the commission.

the only issue I have is G Cornes would not use the word obstructive, he more likely use destructive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they were paid to pay for something they had already paid for

Makes sense

Where have I stated I think this?

Pretty clear implication from the below moronic dummy spit. Or was there a hidden meaning. Obviously the SANFL is an emotional topic for you.

I find it funny when some clowns wish for the demise of the SANFL and then complain that no good kids are coming through SA for the draft.
Deadset f***ing nuptie morons.

I was replying to someone posting what Koch has stated he wants which involved Port having their junior systems and zones back. Go back and understand the context of my reply.

Your reply was stupidity context changes nothing. The AFL couldn't give a s**t what the SANFL does with its zones, it's not against their rules for the Port Magpies to get their old SANFL zones or juniors back. What AFL rules were you refering to then?

Pretty clear implication from the below moronic dummy spit. Or was there a hidden meaning. Obviously the SANFL is an emotional topic for you.
None of what you’ve quoted gives any answer to my question. This was your accusation

“The shake up could be a god send for SA talent, but you've already decided that AFL clubs out of the SANFL will negative impact u18 development.”

I’ve asked where I’ve stated this opinion and you’ve nothing but a “It’s the vibe Your Honour” answer.

Move along.

Your reply was stupidity context changes nothing. The AFL couldn't give a s**t what the SANFL does with its zones, it's not against their rules for the Port Magpies to get their old SANFL zones or juniors back. What AFL rules were you refering to then?
I’ve already explained it previously, if you want to know go back and read all the relevant posts, then, if you still fail to understand, post something that is legible and not this sort of incoherent babble.

“Your reply was stupidity context changes nothing.”

WTF?

I couldn’t give a s**t if you agree with me or not, nor what you think of me or my continued support for the SANFL, I’m just posting a different perspective to most on here when it comes to these issues.
As I said, move along.

Us being in the Sanfl has been a dead set ******* joke. We should have been an equal partner with equal rights and that has not been the case and the one year we make the finals with a once in a decade injury run, they SANFL s**t itself and went out of its way to make us non-competitive. Jokes on them really, they only got the one million dollar deal from Channel 7 because we were in there, now we have been neutered, they won't put us on the channel for the rest of the year. When we move, there will be no need for anyone to televise the SANFL, not when you have an AFL reserves comp to show.

Hope they introduce a mid-season draft when this happens so they can get further shafted. SANFL never moved with the times and it has stuck its cap on "2nd best comp in Australia" like that means anything. I will still follow the Tiges and go to some games even when the Crows reserves move but geez, the behaviour of the SANFL and its clubs to its main breadwinner has been ordinary, dead set ******* ordinary.
Deluded

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

I don’t wish any harm to the SANFL, but they should operate on their own merits and within their own means. If they don’t want to accomodate the petty gripes of the AFL or the Crows/Power then fine. But don’t expect them to tip in the money that lets them survive. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

As for AFL academies we can see how beneficial it is in the northern states. I think it gives SA youngsters the strongest possible pathway to the AFL. A much stronger chance of an AFL career than the current system. Denying them this to enable the greed and self-interest of the SANFL would be deplorable.
Where do you expect the players to come from them

Considering the SANFL lost the state games to The WAFL, I would have thought the days of claiming the second best comp tag are gone. At best it’s equal to either of the other states competitions.
When the other leagues get 40000 to their GF I'll listen to you

When the other leagues get 40000 to their GF I'll listen to you

That happens very very rarely in the SANFL these days, and not should it need to.

None of what you’ve quoted gives any answer to my question. This was your accusation

“The shake up could be a god send for SA talent, but you've already decided that AFL clubs out of the SANFL will negative impact u18 development.”

I’ve asked where I’ve stated this opinion and you’ve nothing but a “It’s the vibe Your Honour” answer.

Move along.

Explain the meaning behind the dummy spit that I quoted, the one where you called posters morons. For what reason are they morons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back