Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2020 - The Defending Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

It also shows that a lot of people don't understand how we won most games last year. We broke teams in the 3rd quarter. Look at the teams who did well early on - it was the new ones who had most of their players play a full season in the VFLW together. By the end of the short AFLW season they were tired out. Geelong and North were touted as these major players in the season and what did we do them?

Instead we rested the majority of our players. Marinoff played no games in the VLFW in 2018. Same for Randall and others. When our players did play they were restricted to a small number of games.

Teams that have the majority of players play in 2019 during the winter season will once again struggle from about the half way mark of the AFLW season I predict.

Influenced by the lack of Randall and possibly Phillips.
A severe lack of respect for the rest of the team as well. Erin played a lot forward with her hamstring issues, and wasn't the force in the mids we have seen in previous years.

Chelsea will be a big loss for us down back, she just read the play so well and is so good one on one

It's amazing we can be so underrated again despite winning 2 of 3 AFLW flags

It's not often you can say you've won more flags than the rest of the competition combined... but we can

Certainly as an AFLW fan I would prefer E.P. to be in full flight from the get go, but I don't expect the Crows to risk her early on as undoubtedly they want her on the park and cherry ripe for finals, whether they finish 1st-6th. All that could change in the event of an early loss.

E.P.? Her initials should be E.M.V.P

And just how high her pain threshold is!

Funnily enough, I partially tore mine once - it didn't *hurt*, though it was a little unpleasant; it was more about how unsound the joint felt doing anything other than moving in a straight line after that

Before you go the full Rodney Dangerfield about no one respecting us. Trial teams out with only 21 fit players. Had to call up Czenya Cavouras and Rachelle Martin.
Wallace not available for season (personal). 4 rested for niggles Marinoff, Jess Foley, Rajcic and Forth. Knee trio unavailable Metcalfe, Scheer and Phillips with Randall season

Before you go the full Rodney Dangerfield about no one respecting us. Trial teams out with only 21 fit players. Had to call up Czenya Cavouras and Rachelle Martin.
Wallace not available for season (personal). 4 rested for niggles Marinoff, Jess Foley, Rajcic and Forth. Knee trio unavailable Metcalfe, Scheer and Phillips with Randall season
Realistically, we have a fighting chance but no clear dominance like we did in 2019. It’s not going to be an easy road ahead, but it certainly makes it that bit more intriguing!

Also, the probability of back to back premierships ain’t good. You need the cattle as well as the luck. And a lot of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Real shame on Wallace. We'll be banking on Scheer and Phillips making successful returns!

As good as we were in 2019, I'm somewhat nervous about 2020. Last year, it just seemed like everything came together perfectly from around the midway point of the season, and from there we could do no wrong. I can't imagine it's going to be that easy again this year.

Interesting to see how they use the ruck this year, last season J.Foley with Hatchard giving a chop out worked well largely thanks to Foley having an outstanding year (should’ve been AA) but the way they’ve trained & positioned them in the trial it looks like they are going to have McKinnon, Gould, Metcalfe and J.Foley all as rucks.

I hope they don’t pigeon hole McKinnon as a ruck, her marking ability around the ground is too good as they highlighted in the article about the trial, it’s actually her ruckwork which was the worst part of her game in the under 18s as she has no bodywork and just jumps flat-footed with not great vertical. I never saw her as a ruck in the under 18s I saw her as a tall playing in the midfield, she reads the ball so well she needs to be allowed to play freely across half-forward or half-back without being battered playing ruck as an 18 year old.

They wasted both the Allan sisters in their first year playing them in the ruck and that was with Jess Allan being a much better ruck, even with the AFLW only being 3 seasons long it’s short history shows you can’t put 18 year olds in that role.

Okay so we all know Phillips is the GOAT, she's so good it's ridiculous

But quietly how good was Scheer? I haven't seen anyone that natural since I saw Tex as a 16 or 17 yo at Norwood Oval

Just crazy

Agreed.

THAT mark (you know the one) was THE stamp of authority in the GF. The whole action (marking, getting up while wheeling around for a play-on long kick) just reeked of ability.

Anyone else think Hatchard deserved to be higher than 17 on the countdown of top 30 AFLW players? Are we just biased?

There should still be about 4 Crows players in the top 10... that's if they count Randall

Surely Philips, Stevie-Lee, Marinoff and Randall are top 10 players in the league considering our dominance over the competition.

I think somewhere in the teens is about right.

She didn't become a total superstar, but she did turn herself into one of the true A graders of the comp. I think having her in the teens feels right. Slips in the back end of an AA team, that kind of thing.

The one who I think is hard done by is Jess Foley (I'm assuming she won't make it into the remaining spots). Was unlucky not to be AA ruck, averaged 20 hitouts a game, as well as 15 touches, 4.2 marks and 3.5 tackles. Kicks twice as often as she handballs, kicked four goals. Those are excellent numbers playing as a pure ruck. I reckon she could have squeezed in the top 30.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question with Marinoff. She definitely racks up the disposals, but much of the time they're just dump kicks or little handballs, as expected since she spends most of her time as a deep inside mid. Still very valuable, but not as much as someone who can find a target reliably.

That said, the added bonus of being arguably the most prolific tackler in the league, and her apparent leadership qualities, probably could have pushed her up higher.

Having Lauren Pearce at #16 and calling her "the premier ruck of the competition" is irritating me again about Jess Foley. Lauren is a great ruck, to be certain, but even in 2019 (by far her best statistical year) she averaged fewer hitouts than Jess (19.7 vs 19.9), fewer disposals (12.7 vs 14.9), fewer marks (1.7 vs 4.2), fewer tackles (1.7 vs 3.6), kicked fewer goals than Jess (2 vs 4), and handballs more often than she kicks (Jess kicks twice as often as she handballs).

There is no statistical category in which Lauren Pearce outperforms Jess Foley. Admittedly I couldn't find a stat for hitouts to advantage so maybe she has her there. But their primary argument for Lauren's inclusion is that she is like an extra clearance player on the ground, and fair enough, she is - Jess is just a better one.

Apparently the AFLW players themselves disagree with me though because Jess Foley didn't even receive a single vote in the recent "best ruck in the competition" survey :( Even a recent draftee yet to play a single match got a vote!

https://womens.afl/news/40209/players-survey-who-is-the-best-ruck-in-aflw-

Last edited:
I think somewhere in the teens is about right.

She didn't become a total superstar, but she did turn herself into one of the true A graders of the comp. I think having her in the teens feels right. Slips in the back end of an AA team, that kind of thing.

The one who I think is hard done by is Jess Foley (I'm assuming she won't make it into the remaining spots). Was unlucky not to be AA ruck, averaged 20 hitouts a game, as well as 15 touches, 4.2 marks and 3.5 tackles. Kicks twice as often as she handballs, kicked four goals. Those are excellent numbers playing as a pure ruck. I reckon she could have squeezed in the top 30.
Totally agree with your comments on J Foley. She was very serviceable as a ruck option, but more importantly, was a handy utility player all around the ground and clunking a lot of marks. Her marking and body positioning was a feature, and I'd daresay she's a better ruck/utility than Metcalfe, with the latter being less effective around the ground.

Anyone else think Hatchard deserved to be higher than 17 on the countdown of top 30 AFLW players? Are we just biased?

There should still be about 4 Crows players in the top 10... that's if they count Randall

Surely Philips, Stevie-Lee, Marinoff and Randall are top 10 players in the league considering our dominance over the competition.
I think if we look at projected rankings, Hatchard is one of the most improved players, if not the most improved. But if we're talking about consistent high standards across the first 3 seasons, she was lacking a bit of consistency in the first 1-2 seasons. She is possibly top 10 by the end of this season though.

Phillips and Randall top 2 players for mine. Elite skills and courage, with great leadership qualities the both of them!

Marinoff is a disposal accumulator and a tackling machine, but she needs to get better at her disposals and kick more goals to break into the top 10, I feel.

Stevie-Lee is elite in speed, and our gameplan suits her very well up forward. Though I don't think she is a top 10 player, as there are certain deficiencies in her game still as a forward (eg. marking, kicking efficiency).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back