R1: Brisbane, Hickey Park, Saturday February 8, 4.40pm local
R2: St Kilda, Richmond Oval, Sunday February 16, 4.40pm ACDT
R3: Geelong, GMHBA, Sunday February 23, 5.10pm local
R4: Carlton, Richmond Oval, Sunday March 1, 12.40pm ACDT
R5: North Melbourne, North Hobart Oval, Saturday March 7, 3.10pm AEDT
R6: GWS, Richmond Oval, Sunday March 15, 2.40pm ACDT
R7: Gold Coast, Fankhauser Reserve, Sunday March 22, 1.10pm
R8: Richmond, Unley Oval, Sunday March 29, 12.40pm ACDT

Our fixture is outstanding. Playing three of four expansion teams when we made the GF is crazy. Very surprised one of our cross-conference games was an expansion team.

GF rematch at home is also a great result. North in Tasmania could be a challenge but very happy we don't have to play Melbourne or Collingwood in the minor rounds.

No games in Melbourne will disappoint those who live there.

Our fixture is outstanding. Playing three of four expansion teams when we made the GF is crazy. Very surprised one of our cross-conference games was an expansion team.

GF rematch at home is also a great result. North in Tasmania could be a challenge but very happy we don't have to play Melbourne or Collingwood in the minor rounds.

No games in Melbourne will disappoint those who live there.

Disappoint begins to scratch the surface. I think my daughter is heading to docklands with a pitchfork and a bad attitude.

R1: Brisbane, Hickey Park, Saturday February 8, 4.40pm local
R2: St Kilda, Richmond Oval, Sunday February 16, 4.40pm ACDT
R3: Geelong, GMHBA, Sunday February 23, 5.10pm local
R4: Carlton, Richmond Oval, Sunday March 1, 12.40pm ACDT
R5: North Melbourne, North Hobart Oval, Saturday March 7, 3.10pm AEDT
R6: GWS, Richmond Oval, Sunday March 15, 2.40pm ACDT
R7: Gold Coast, Fankhauser Reserve, Sunday March 22, 1.10pm
R8: Richmond, Unley Oval, Sunday March 29, 12.40pm ACDT
And with that
I’ve just got off the phone from the footy club after picking up the team champions membership.
Will miss rd 2, but 3 games? I won’t pass that up. Already going. Will take the seat out of the sun.

Can’t remember unley ovals layout. Will you be in the sun in that stand?

"Richmond and Carlton, who traditionally open the AFL season, will kick off the 2020 NAB AFLW season at Ikon Park on Friday, 7 February."

Oh * off. It's only a tradition because ten years ago when both clubs were on their knees you gave them a leg up. Now it's a "tradition"

EDIT: not only did it only start ten years ago, in 2012, 2013 and 2014 other teams started the season. Total bullshit as usual from the VFL.

Just realised the season opener is Expansion team vs GF loser. Good stuff

Last edited:
No games in Melbourne is not good considering the support we have there and we are the reigning premiers. Obviously Thebbie still didn't quite come up to scratch or is their still building works going on there? Don't mind Richmond oval as it suits our game style. It's longer than many other grounds. The larger the ground, the better it was for us. I know that other teams were not happy with the size of Thebbie though as their players couldn't compete for a full game on a ground that size. Even though Casey Fields is larger, it suited us more when we played there.

And with that
I’ve just got off the phone from the footy club after picking up the team champions membership.
Will miss rd 2, but 3 games? I won’t pass that up. Already going. Will take the seat out of the sun.

Can’t remember unley ovals layout. Will you be in the sun in that stand?

There are two stands at Unley and they face the hills, so mostly out of the sun. See you in the stands :D

"Richmond and Carlton, who traditionally open the AFL season, will kick off the 2020 NAB AFLW season at Ikon Park on Friday, 7 February."

Oh fu** off. It's only a tradition because ten years ago when both clubs were on their knees you gave them a leg up. Now it's a "tradition"

EDIT: not only did it only start ten years ago, in 2012, 2013 and 2014 other teams started the season. Total bullshit as usual from the VFL.

Just realised the season opener is Expansion team vs GF loser. Good stuff
And it's not even a ******* tradition for the women! Bad enough we have to put up with it for the mens comp!

No games in Melbourne is not good considering the support we have there and we are the reigning premiers. Obviously Thebbie still didn't quite come up to scratch or is their still building works going on there? Don't mind Richmond oval as it suits our game style. It's longer than many other grounds. The larger the ground, the better it was for us. I know that other teams were not happy with the size of Thebbie though as their players couldn't compete for a full game on a ground that size. Even though Casey Fields is larger, it suited us more when we played there.
Thebby will be no go for 2020 and potentially 2021
But I believe it’s the womens home ground once the development has finished (1 of the 2 stands demolished, rebuilding something, ground dimensions changing and the oval will be realigned (from north-south to nne-ssw I think)) - 2019 was a no go because 1 pocket was cut off with lawn bowls development I’m guessing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thebby will be no go for 2020 and potentially 2021
But I believe it’s the womens home ground once the development has finished (1 of the 2 stands demolished, rebuilding something, ground dimensions changing and the oval will be realigned (from north-south to nne-ssw I think)) - 2019 was a no go because 1 pocket was cut off with lawn bowls development I’m guessing?

It was a no go because no media box (THE most important thing for the AFL) and apparently the changerooms weren't big enough. Pretty sure they were bigger change rooms than the ones at Norwood. Can't be classed as an AFL ground if there is no media box available!

It was a no go because no media box (THE most important thing for the AFL) and apparently the changerooms weren't big enough. Pretty sure they were bigger change rooms than the ones at Norwood. Can't be classed as an AFL ground if there is no media box available!
I was about to say where they could’ve used, then realised at this level, where I’d suggest would’ve been used as a coaches box.
Fair call on the issue.

Changeroom shouldn’t have been an issue.
The northern one is huge.
The middle one should just be tolerable (but there’s a small room off it you could set up for medical/taping etc. to not contest the main room)
The southern one would’ve been fine at the time, but the amatuer league has since cut that in half to create a 4th room for finals.
Maybe the water was the issue? (Only the southern changeroom has hot showers)

How can the reigning premier not play one game in Melbourne, by god the AFL are the most useless sports administration body in the world.

They are very lucky they have such a good sport otherwise the stadiums would be empty with all their inept decisions. We just keep turning up cos we love the game.

Still not 100% clear what the finals structure is. Five matches in total, so assuming every final is a knockout, it must be top 3 from each conference.

My guess is week one has cross-conference 2nd vs 3rd matches (so the top teams get a week off), the winners go onto week two to play the teams that finished 1st, and then those winners go onto the grand final?

Still not 100% clear what the finals structure is. Five matches in total, so assuming every final is a knockout, it must be top 3 from each conference.

My guess is week one has cross-conference 2nd vs 3rd matches (so the top teams get a week off), the winners go onto week two to play the teams that finished 1st, and then those winners go onto the grand final?

SF1: A 2nd vs B 3rd
SF2: B 2nd vs A 3rd

PF1: A 1st vs SF2 Winner
PF2: B 1st vs SF1 Winner

GF: PF1 winner vs PF2 winner

Yeah, that's what I would guess. Was that written down somewhere or were you guessing as well?
Its at the bottom of the article of the news story on the afl website.

Richmond and west coast will be the better of the expansion teams.

Pissed there isnt a game in Melbourne, wh why the hell are we playing in Tasmanina? Are all of North's home games there? We'll no doubt be under rated again because no expert will see us live as we dont play in the footy capital

Richmond and west coast will be the better of the expansion teams.

Pissed there isnt a game in Melbourne, wh why the hell are we playing in Tasmanina? Are all of North's home games there? We'll no doubt be under rated again because no expert will see us live as we dont play in the footy capital

North have two games at Arden Street and two games in Tasmania - one at UTAS Stadium and the other at North Hobart Oval (us).

Richmond Oval, huh? Should be interesting.

Is anyone across whether any of the expansion teams are expected to be any good? Last year most people knew that North Melbourne would be a force, are there any equivalents in the four new teams?

The problem for all the expansion teams is how many of their key players have played a full season in the VLFW. That is what killed those teams last season. They played not too badly at the start, but even though the AFLW season is short you could really see the difference in the players who rested instead of playing a full VFLW season (most of our team!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back