Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2020 - The Defending Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

the panel of 'Womens footy' straight up asked why Adelaide didn't play round 1 at home to unveil the premiership flag and Nicole Livingston straight up said "we're still developing traditions at AFLW" met with scoffs and then said the were Ground Availability issues whilst laughing it off.

pretty piss poor cover up to make sure Vic bias comes through and gets top billing
Code for : Grand Final at Ikon

It was a pretty dissapointing response, the team were deserving and the 53k fans that rocked up to the GF should have been enough to get round 1 at home

Adelaide really put AFLW on the map the past 3 seasons and were still walked all over.

Its a Richmond wank fest already its all ive heard about and Ive heard nothing of the other 3 new teams.

the panel of 'Womens footy' straight up asked why Adelaide didn't play round 1 at home to unveil the premiership flag and Nicole Livingston straight up said "we're still developing traditions at AFLW" met with scoffs and then said the were Ground Availability issues whilst laughing it off.

pretty piss poor cover up to make sure Vic bias comes through and gets top billing

That's a disgraceful answer.

It's not up to the league to develop traditions. They are developed naturally.

The Carlton/Richmond season opener appears to be another example of "forced" tradition. With AFLW a season opener of Melbourne vs Bulldogs has more merit, as they were the two clubs driving this from the start.

I think they're still salty about the fact that the North superteam last year failed to win it all against all the hype.

Am I the only one that wishes that our men and women’s team guernseys were the same design? It seems every other club uses the same design for both team.

GWS and Gold Coast are the other teams that have different home designs for the mens/women’s teams.

While I think it would be nice for the women’s guernsey to be in line with the men, we’ve won two flags under the current design, and I feel that it has it’s own heritage at the club now.

That's a disgraceful answer.

It's not up to the league to develop traditions. They are developed naturally.

I've always said towards Port supporters who spruik their history at me with "would you rather create history or be dictated to by it?"

Why are the AFLW so up against helping to create the history instead of leaning into past traditions from another competition?

Any one with a lick of football knowledge should have been shooting down the Richmond powerhouse calls. The have Kate Sheehan as their football director, 'nuff said about how poor their depth is.

Ground availability doesn’t wash at all. Hisense Stadium was used for a trial match 3 weeks ago, and would’ve been available for a match at all.

I think it’s time Nicole Livingston is relieved of her duties, she is doing a terrible job as head of the AFLW.

Also, my women's footy coach is also a coach at West Adelaide and they have been severely restricted on their training on the oval because of it's upcoming use for the AFLW and the SANFLW matches.

were both Courtney Gum and Renee Forth GWS' original two marquee signings?

We've done very well to get them into Crows colours as they are both quality

She was actually overlooked altogether in the inaugural draft. Not sure which states she was eligible for though. It may have been us that overlooked her! She was viewed as too old and slow to have an impact in AFLW. So much for that theory!

She was actually overlooked altogether in the inaugural draft. Not sure which states she was eligible for though. It may have been us that overlooked her! She was viewed as too old and slow to have an impact in AFLW. So much for that theory!

It wasn't that she was viewed as too slow, it's just that we have committed to Cramey and Phillips, but wanted a younger team. We didn't want a team that was too old. she had been training with us, but it was the overall make up of the team and looking to the future that made the decision to not include her in the original Crows team. Can't really argue with their decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think she proved a lot of people wrong after winning the MVP award in 2018. The prospect of having her line up alongside a fully fit Erin Phillips is very exciting.

Monty knocking on the door

McKinnon in the extended squad this week and most likely will drop out especially after Gould’s strong performance in the air when in the ruck and up forward last week but you look at this footage of Montana and it’s frustrating because you can see she’s seen to be competing for the wrong spot.

Her marking in the back half and across the ground just shows she should be playing across half-back permanently in the team especially with the team desperately missing Randall’s ability in the air this season in the back half. You look at the influence Kate Lutkins has for Brisbane in the backlines and that’s the exact role McKinnon should be being played in.

Last edited:
McKinnon in the extended squad this week and most likely will drop out especially after Gould’s strong performance in the air when in the ruck and up forward last week but you look at this footage of Montana and it’s frustrating because you can see she’s seen to be competing for the wrong spot.

Her marking in the back half and across the ground just shows she should be playing across half-back permanently in the team especially with the team desperately missing Randall’s ability in the air this season in the back half. You look at the influence Kate Lutkins has for Brisbane in the backlines and that’s the exact role McKinnon should be being played in.

Problem is, this is arguably our strongest position on the ground. Between Randall (when fit), Cramey, Rajcic and Allan, we're flush for quality tall or medium-tall players who can read the play, intercept the ball, mark in the air, and use it well on the way back out.

Some interesting results so far this weekend. Brisbane and Gold Coast each having a draw obviously has implications for our conference. Both have percentage higher than us, so probably a good result for us. Melbourne losing to St Kilda sees them back out of the top three of their conference despite having such a strong start to the year (they would be second in our conference). Maybe St Kilda are better than we thought? And Freo narrowly wins over Collingwood to become the only team to win all three matches in the first three rounds.

If results go our way tomorrow, we could feasibly move up to second spot on the ladder in our conference. Would need Richmond to knock off North Melbourne though (or for us to have a seriously big win).

Last edited:
Not sure if many people have seen it or not, but I'm running a POTY thingy for the Adelaide AFLW side. I'm planning to close the voting for rounds 1 and 2 tomorrow afternoon, so if you haven't already, go in and cast your votes! You can also vote for rookie of the year.

so what's the deal with Stevie-Lee Thompson ?

I was at the game Sunday and she didn't even look like getting near it

Does she have a niggle?

It’s just the type of player she is, she’s definitely not what you would call a ‘natural footballer’ having come to the game late so her positioning can be poor and her ball handling and marking attempts can either look awkward or be sub-par at times.

Again she’s very enigmatic a bit like Eloise Jones where they just look totally off the boil, aren’t in the right positions and don’t look to have their head in the game at times then they’ll produce something special. Things also aren’t rolling all her own way unlike last year where everything was, whether that’s a mixture between teams being more aware and defending her better, the game plan and structure being different with her not as much of the focus or her just being a bit lazy and expecting things to just happen.

If she didn’t have the season she did last year and a couple of more players were available she probably would be very much on the chopping block.

Last year she played a style of game that benefited enormously from our midfield and defensive dominance. We had so many turnovers that resulted in fast movements forward, and she was able to use her pace to run onto the loose ball and score goals.

We've been slowed down this year, and she is having a much harder time finding free ball as a result. It's also hurt us not having the genuine marking targets of Phillips and Scheer, that defenders had to pay respect to in 2019.

Contrast her with Ponter, who also played that style of game last year, but this year has adapted to still be a force. Natural footballer vs an elite athlete playing football.

I start flying home in a couple of hours
Get back Friday ready for rd 4

Can someone give me a brief review of what I missed? (I know results and ladder, I’m more asking for who’s playing well, how long until Erin’s back, is the lack of dominance more us dropping’s to the pack, everyone else getting closer or a mix etc.)

I start flying home in a couple of hours
Get back Friday ready for rd 4

Can someone give me a brief review of what I missed? (I know results and ladder, I’m more asking for who’s playing well, how long until Erin’s back, is the lack of dominance more us dropping’s to the pack, everyone else getting closer or a mix etc.)

Structurally, we're not as clinical as we were last season. Struggling to get the ball movement going and very scrappy out of defence. I think Randall is a big loss in that regard. Very few goals over the top running back in towards goal, mostly because we haven't had a lot of fast break footy through the middle. I'd say we've come back to the pack, rather than them catching us up - but in saying that, we haven't played any of the real top teams yet.

Most of the stalwarts from last year are playing well. Jess Foley, Sarah Allan, Angela Foley, Ebony Marinoff, Anne Hatchard and Renee Forth are all playing at least as well as last year. Dayna Cox and Justine Mules are probably having career-best years. Courtney Gum has slotted in very nicely and has shown genuine class. Rajcic, Jones and SLT are all down on last year's form, Ponter is holding her own but only managed to hit the scoreboard last week. Li and Considine are both still fringe players who contribute a bit but not a lot. Plenty of new faces, some coping better than others. Gould has done a couple of nice things, Biddell has made the most of her few possessions with accurate goalkicking, but both would likely go out for Scheer and Phillips if they were ready to return. Newman had been doing well and getting a bit of the ball, but had a very quiet match last week. Najwa Allen is the opposite, had a slow start to the season but a great match last week. Tabb and Campbell haven't really fired a shot yet. Nikki Gore has slotted in just fine, playing that Li/Mules role of not many possessions but lots of tackles and pressure. Cramey had her first match back last week and played well in patches but fell away late, not surprising I guess.

Erin is still a week by week proposition. Metcalfe played her first game back in the reserves last week, but I doubt she's going to displace Jess Foley so not sure if she fits in. Scheer is still a little way away too.

It's worth remembering that, other than the size of the round 1 loss, our results so far track very similar to 2019. Disappointing loss to low-rated opposition in round 1, come-from-behind victory in round 2 after being several goals down, and then a competitive but fairly comfortable victory over Geelong in round 3 (those last three minutes aside!). Still plenty of time to get up and firing, particularly if/when Phillips and Scheer return to the side. That will really straighten us up going forward and provide a proper marking target, which has been an issue so far this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back