Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2021 - “2nd comes right after 1st”

Remove this Banner Ad

I know these things don't really matter and the only thing that does is winning the next two games and a 3rd flag... but...

womens.afl.com team of the year

Erin Phillips the only Crow player in the team - team that finished top had less players feature than the following non-finalist teams

Carl - 3 players
GWS - 2 players
St Kilda - 2 players
WB - 2 players
Of course chosen by Sarah Black...

Sure she’s a very competent, Victorian-centric research journalist, who can get articles out nice and quickly for the AFL which they want with her being there only full time AFLW reporter but you can hardly trust any opinion she has on games or best players, like asking Damien Barrett to choose the men’s AFL All-Australian team by himself.

I know these things don't really matter and the only thing that does is winning the next two games and a 3rd flag... but...

womens.afl.com team of the year

Erin Phillips the only Crow player in the team - team that finished top had less players feature than the following non-finalist teams

Carl - 3 players
GWS - 2 players
St Kilda - 2 players
WB - 2 players

Brisbane 1 player
Freo 1 player

Strange selections.

I think it was on SEN, they had Daisy Pearce on and talking about her trying to overcome an injury for this final and playing in a GF, winning a premiership. She referred to the hope of this happening and her belief in miracles to her baby overcoming health issues which is fair enough in isolation but the narrative being drummed up reminded me of the lead in to the 2017 Men’s GF and the Richmond narrative being pushed by the Victorian (AFL media).
They also said that she deserves a statue or a stand named after her one day for what she’s done for women’s footy, while she’s certainly got a great media profile I really can’t see that she’s deserving of any of this for that alone and certainly not for anything she’s done out on the field.

The Victorian football fairytale narrative is starting up again about one of their perennial dud clubs and one of their media darlings......expect a one sided umpiring affair on the weekend to help achieve the outcome. I think Adelaide will have to be a 5+ goal better side.

They also said that she deserves a statue or a stand named after her one day for what she’s done for women’s footy, while she’s certainly got a great media profile I really can’t see that she’s deserving of any of this for that alone and certainly not for anything she’s done out on the field.

Pre- AFLW she was clearly the best female footy player in the country, and still right up there

I think the plaudits that she gets are fair enough

But yes the Vic fairytale is a definite concern, there could be WB v Syd 2016 type umpiring this weekend

Daisy played a major role is helping move women's footy into the mainstream in the years prior to 2017, which is part of what convinced the AFL to fast-track their plans for a women's league. Without her, we'd most likely never have had a chance to see people like Erin Phillips play at the top level, so pioneers like Daisy Pearce deserve major credit.

That being said, sorry Daisy, we've got a miracle of our own to achieve.

I don't believe the individuals picked for the bottom teams are better than individuals not picked at the best teams.

They have clearly given a participation award for each of the bottom teams. I wouldn't have their selections from Gold Coast, West Coast or Geelong in the competition's top 40 players

wait til you see

The AFLPA has put together a squad of the best 22 players under 22 years old, based solely on 2021 form. From the Crows we have Chloe Scheer and Danielle Ponter.

Not sure Ponter deserves to be there on this year's form, but hey. Gore would probably be in if she hadn't got injured.

https://womens.afl/news/69782/six-of-the-best-blues-lead-the-pack-in-22under22-squad

I laughed my arse off at the squad

e.g., 5 Carlton players just selected for the midfield spots... out of 17

The Vic-centric narrative for everything AFL continues

There's been debate on the main forum about playing the AFLW season at the end of the year, rather than the start, and I see they're now talking about it on the W Show as well. Was wondering what you all think of it.

I'm all for it, personally. Start the AFLW season towards the end of the AFL finals, when footy fever is at a high but there are few men's games. Perhaps even line it up so the first round happens on Grand Final week, or if they don't want to step on that, start it the following week. That period from October to November is a dead zone as far as quality sports goes, no footy, the cricket season is usually not quite underway yet and there's no tennis. Fill it with women's footy. If the season stays the current length, they can squeeze it in before Christmas. It also gives them leeway to make the season go longer when they eventually decide to, with a break over the Christmas period. Hell, eventually it could turn into a full length season, every team plays each other once and a three-round finals series, finishing up in February without any need to schedule matches against the various men's comps.

I know, footy is a winter sport and it's hot over summer, but it's not like things are any better how it is now. Hell, February is arguably the hottest month of the year and that's when the bulk of AFLW is played. They could play more twilight/evening matches to help avoid the hottest times of day. It would line up with the school/Uni holidays. I think it's a great idea.

Last edited:
There's been debate on the main forum about playing the AFLW season at the end of the year, rather than the start, and I see they're now talking about it on the W Show as well. Was wondering what you all think of it.

I'm all for it, personally. Start the AFLW season towards the end of the AFL finals, when footy fever is at a high but there are few men's games. Perhaps even line it up so the first round happens on Grand Final week, or if they don't want to step on that, start it the following week. That period from October to November is a dead zone as far as quality sports goes, no footy, the cricket season is usually not quite underway yet and there's no tennis. Fill it with women's footy. If the season stays the current length, they can squeeze it in before Christmas. It also gives them leeway to make the season go longer when they eventually decide to, with a break over the Christmas period. Hell, eventually it could turn into a full length season, every team plays each other once and a three-round finals series, finishing up in February without any need to schedule matches against the various men's comps.

I know, footy is a winter sport and it's hot over summer, but it's not like things are any better how it is now. Hell, February is arguably the hottest month of the year and that's when the bulk of AFLW is played. They could play more twilight/evening matches to help avoid the hottest times of day. It would line up with the school/Uni holidays. I think it's a great idea.
You could always make Men's GF week a bye week for the aflw. Or the season break before finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the new prestige placed upon the Crows men's traditional jumper and the refusal to play in it in pre season to make it special, should the club redesign the afl w jumper to closer resemble the traditional version. The current design was beneficial in the early years but now I think the current aflw jumper isn't aging as well.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the new prestige placed upon the Crows men's traditional jumper and the refusal to play in it in pre season to make it special, should the club redesign the afl w jumper to closer resemble the traditional version. The current design was beneficial in the early years but now I think the current aflw jumper isn't aging as well.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure if we even have a choice on the matter. All the girls strips league wide are cotton on? Until clubs can use the apparel sponsor the same as then men's we won't see a change

So Brisbane again, heck of a prelim that one. Part of me annoyed that now the game won’t get a lot of coverage now because of no Collingwood, part of me also respects how Brisbane continue to succeed despite never being rated.

Part of me also worried of what Craig Starcevich might come up with as he’s a brilliant coach and won’t want to be a 3 time losing Grand Finalist, their height up forward and speed on the outside could still worry the Crows but the Crows should hold a massive advantage in the midfield, especially the contested ball and clearances. Also randomly hope the Crows can keep Dakota Davidson goalless so I don’t have to see those goal celebrations of hers that just annoy me for some non-sensical reason.

The Lions-Pies match was much more open and flowing game than ours. Is that a reflection of a higher pressure match from us, or just better play from Brisbane?
The Crows have certainly forced a really contested heavy lockdown style of game the last two games against Collingwood and Melbourne and have also almost tempted both those teams to kick the ball to short targets to get their set up right behind the ball, both of those teams really got sucked into that style whereas Brisbane is a totally different style of team they want to run and kick long so it will be interesting to see if like the last 2 games the Crows can lock Brisbane down.

Brisbane only played Adelaide here once right? Travelling for the women's team is still hard, we'd have to be favourites purely based off home ground Advantage, we're the only team to have won an away Grandfinal

Brisbane only played Adelaide here once right? Travelling for the women's team is still hard, we'd have to be favourites purely based off home ground Advantage, we're the only team to have won an away Grandfinal

Twice, in 2017 and 2018. They won both matches. Actually they were the first two matches we ever played at Norwood Oval.

Agreed that the home ground advantage will be immense though. We'll have a big crowd in.

There are reports that say Chelsea Randall may play the GF if she passes a cognitive test.

There is either a 12 day rule or there isn't. I know it's extremely disappointing that she can't play but they are either protecting the head or they are not? Can you imagine the loop holes teams using in finals if this is allowed?

If it means we can't win the GF without her then so be it. I'd be happy to completely revamp the GF tradition and allow medals to the whole squad that at least played one game for the season as yes I agree it's a harsh rule but a rule that is extremely important.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back