Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2021 - “2nd comes right after 1st”

Remove this Banner Ad

By no means did I think Hatchard’s season was good enough to make the All-Aus team but very surprised it was somehow good enough to come equal 5th in the B&F though

The SANFLW season with 4 Minor Rounds and a 3 Week Final Series to go. I was hoping for the Crows AFLW players were using this for a jump to 2022. I believe next year they may adopt the 'Standing the Mark rule' from the Men's comp. So stay agile.

With Foley's ACL there is 1 position in the 21 vacant and doubt on Phillips continuing in 2022 or maybe a permanent forward.

Last year Glenelg AFLW players came out after the hiatus and had a great centre square combo. With the uncertainty over Erin Phillips I would be great to see a reprise of Gould , Marinoff and Jones and possibly run Mules and Varnhagen through the middle and Cox to get more confidence from the injury interupted season.

With Centrals it has one player selected this week in Scheer playing up forward. I would like to see her playing in the SANFLW as an on baller. The new Erin. With Sarah Allan I would like her to practice the Chelsea Randall utility role at this level.

West have Considine in the Centre and Biddell CHF wchich is good to see but where is Newman fighting to avoid de-listing have the Martin sisters and Stevie Lee run out of puff.

Norwood with Allen and Rajcic a no show

WWT with Forth playing on ball (good) I would like to see Metcalfe as the Number 2 ruck. Prove you can rest in the forward line and act like a key forward.

North miss their dynamic Midfield from 2020 in Hatchard and Woodlands

South have McKinnon and Whitely back in their regular positions. No Munyard or Charlton to help.

The SANFLW season with 4 Minor Rounds and a 3 Week Final Series to go. I was hoping for the Crows AFLW players were using this for a jump to 2022. I believe next year they may adopt the 'Standing the Mark rule' from the Men's comp. So stay agile.

With Foley's ACL there is 1 position in the 21 vacant and doubt on Phillips continuing in 2022 or maybe a permanent forward.

Last year Glenelg AFLW players came out after the hiatus and had a great centre square combo. With the uncertainty over Erin Phillips I would be great to see a reprise of Gould , Marinoff and Jones and possibly run Mules and Varnhagen through the middle and Cox to get more confidence from the injury interupted season.

With Centrals it has one player selected this week in Scheer playing up forward. I would like to see her playing in the SANFLW as an on baller. The new Erin. With Sarah Allan I would like her to practice the Chelsea Randall utility role at this level.

West have Considine in the Centre and Biddell CHF wchich is good to see but where is Newman fighting to avoid de-listing have the Martin sisters and Stevie Lee run out of puff.

Norwood with Allen and Rajcic a no show

WWT with Forth playing on ball (good) I would like to see Metcalfe as the Number 2 ruck. Prove you can rest in the forward line and act like a key forward.

North miss their dynamic Midfield from 2020 in Hatchard and Woodlands

South have McKinnon and Whitely back in their regular positions. No Munyard or Charlton to help.

Some personal choice may be involved but a lot of the ones not playing are due to the AFLPA rules/AFLW Insurance policy which involves complicated compulsory rest periods and medical clearances. Newman got injured mid season and has been carrying a bad shoulder since, if she doesn’t return for Westies this season I’m actually taking it as more of a positive as hopefully she’s been told by those at the Crows to be ready for next season 🤞

Same with Munyard I believe carrying some sort of niggle, Varnhagen and Cox had injuries during the year as well so don’t believe they are medically cleared either under the complicated rules of the AFLW insurance policy/AFLPA guidelines, Charlton is part of the compulsory rested crew as terms of those that played all AFLW games.

Jones was pretty poor this season, to be honest. Has her moments but not quite enough of them and has at least one brainfade each game. I haven't quite worked out what position she is supposed to be in yet. The talent is definitely there, just didn't quite put it all together this season.

SLT at #5 is surprising to me too, but to be fair she had a few very good games. Might be a case of her racking up the points in those good games.

Marinoff and Hatchard being neck and neck, with Allan and Phillips one rung below sounds pretty much correct to me.

Jones was pretty poor this season, to be honest. Has her moments but not quite enough of them and has at least one brainfade each game. I haven't quite worked out what position she is supposed to be in yet. The talent is definitely there, just didn't quite put it all together this season.

SLT at #5 is surprising to me too, but to be fair she had a few very good games. Might be a case of her racking up the points in those good games.

Marinoff and Hatchard being neck and neck, with Allan and Phillips one rung below sounds pretty much correct to me.
She played a really unselfish role for the team I thought this year, running up and down the wing, forward and back being that link player very Tom Lynch-esque also more similar to how she played her junior football. Thought she played her role how the coaches wanted her too whether or not they got that right you can probably debate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a big rumour tonight.

SANFLW to have reserves next season

A lot of U/18-U/16s players would have to make up the all the numbers at this stage
Div 1 ammos back to 1 team with no reserves grade.

A lot of ammos struggling with 2nd teams.already

Div 1 ammos back to 1 team with no reserves grade.

A lot of ammos struggling with 2nd teams.already

Yeah SANFL just transferring everything so it all runs through them through their pathways, knew it would happen but they’ve certainly fast tracked things the last couple of years

Marinoff offered another really big offer from a Victorian club according to 7 Adelaide, this time from St Kilda 😬

Aren't AFLW contracts still in the fixed tier system?
Titles like ‘Female football ambassador’ and ‘Member consultant’ ect. get given to her no doubt, wonder what benefactor’s giving that cash to the Saints but not helping them pay off their $20 million dollar debt?

She would at least be worth the $150k unlike old mate that can’t hit a target at Carlton
Anyone who pays that kind of coin for her needs their heads read.

Expect a cellar dweller like West Coast or the Sun's to pony up.

I'm fairly certain she's been given a big-money offer to jump ship in the past as well, although not of that order.

Aren't all contracts in AFLW only for a year at a time anyway? She could go over there for a couple of seasons, earn some cash, then return back to Adelaide in the future. Bit of a risk from a club to pay her big money unless they think they're in an immediate premiership window.

She'd probably be better off waiting for Port to join the comp and then becoming one of their marquee players instead.

There's no doubt we would miss her, especially with Phillips on her last legs. Although at least then the lines of Najwa Allen would get some proper midfield time.

Anyone who pays that kind of coin for her needs their heads read.

Expect a cellar dweller like West Coast or the Sun's to pony up.

It's just money. It's not like there's a salary cap (I mean, there essentially is with the tiered payment system, but this kind of payment doesn't come into it). What do Saint Kilda care if they spend an extra hundred grand? If it goes well they'll get that back in membership and sponsorship. If not, they'll just put their hand out to the AFL.

Mind you, we could make the same argument here at the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back